No oil pressure

crr31c

Reaction score
Ok. So rebuilt my 7.3 idi about 3000 miles on it now. Rod and main bearings obviously new. Crank polished mic’d and double checked all bearing clearance’s with plasti gauge. The truck factory oil pressure gauge stays between r and m. My understanding is that gauge will drop only if pressure drops below 7 psi. And that these motors don’t need a lot of psi. My manual gauge reads about 30-35 at anything over 1200 rpm. Always dropped to about 10 psi at idle from day one. But lately it’s started dropping to about 3-4 psi at idle. My factory dummy gauge still reads around the r. No blow by or white smoke. Runs like a scalded dog. Please help!!! Why no oil pressure at idle?

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IF no turbo, possible air in the gauge feed tube. That few of miles, high pressure should be 40-60 & low around 10-14

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Are you checking with a real gauge at all?

My (high mileage) F250's factory gauge drops down enough at idle to make the ENGINE light come on or flicker, depending. Meanwhile, the aftermarket mechanical gauge shows fine. The factory gauge is a joke on that truck, which is why a past owner put the mech gauge.

crr31c

Reaction score
Yes no engine light. Manual gauge is 30 psi driving and 3 at idle

crr31c

Reaction score
No tube. Electronic manual gauge and sender. Again reads 30 psi while driving. 3 at idle

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an auto meter electric oil pressure gauge and it does that to at idle, it’s the gauge doing it on mine as I checked with a mechanical gauge and everything was fine (don’t remember what the psi was off hand). This is the crappy one wire sensor type of gauge also.

Black dawg

Reaction score
check against another gauge, and how fast does oil pressure build on a HOT restart?