no fire 6.9 idi

Dylan Harris

Reaction score
I just recently bought an '85 f250 with the 6.9 idi international diesel in it. It won't fire at all. It is getting fuel to the injectors but it won't run. I disconnected the glow plugs and used ether (yes I know ether is bad) and used more then enough to bind the motor up but it just kept turning over and still did not fire. So long story short I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why it won't fire. I am thinking it must have broken rings or a hole through the piston but before I tare it apart and rebuild it I would like other people's input. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got to harbor freight and get a compression tester.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your startinf system needs to be up to ***** for it to crank even on ether, two strong batteries and non corroded cables are a must. A tired starter won’t help your cause either

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have you purged the air out of the filter, and replaced the filter?
IMO every IDI needs a fuel pressure gauge on the filter head.
a lot of questions and time can be saved by this cheap gauge.
have you heard the fuel shut off switch click?
what is the condition of the IP?
im guessing there are a lot of unknowns.
I like doing leak down tests vs a compression test.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correctly bleeding an IDI, and how fast it should crank:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you getting white smoke? If it's injecting fuel you should get visible smoke out the exhaust. Unless it's cranking super slow it should fire with starting fluid if you're actually getting fuel. If there's no white smoke out the tailpipe and it's cranking at a decent speed you have an injection pump issue.

Are you sure it's good fuel?

It's possible to get fuel at the injectors when the line is disconnected but not actually deliver enough volume and/or pressure to fire. I would fit an electric lift pump and with that on bleed at the fuel filter until you're getting clean air free fuel. Once you have then, remove the restriction fitting from the top of the injection pump and bleed it there. Just disconnecting the return line from the injection pump doesn't always bleed it since there the restriction fitting/check valve screwed into the pump cover. Pull that and you've got a free path and should get fuel flow with the lift pump on. Once you have clean fuel here put the fitting back on and reconnect the return line. Be careful, if you overtighten you can snap the fitting.

Once you've done this you've should be able to bleed at the injectors. I like to start with lines very loose until you start seeing fuel and then tighten them finger tight or a bit tighter (not while cranking engine, be careful of fuel spurting out) and crank some more. Having some backpressure but not full injector pop pressure seems to help get air out.

From there you should hopefully light off or at least get a good amount of white smoke. If you've got a good cloud of smoke you've got fuel and can move into other checks.

Bottom line, if it's not something in the fuel system you should be able to fog out mosquitoes when you try to start it. If you're not getting a good cloud of white/blue smoke you're not actually getting fuel into the chambers.

Dylan Harris

Reaction score
There is white smoke coming from the tail pipe. Do you know what the compression should be?

Chad241993

Reaction score
Mine were 395-420 on all 8. They say they will run all the way down into the 250-275 range.
Definitely check the compression, before i put new glow plugs in i had to use ether or crank forever and that was at 90 degrees F. but it would still start with ether. Good luck, "Ran when it was parked there" trucks are always a risk.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance