Ninth Glow Plug

Poorman

Reaction score
I remember reading some time ago where a guy wired a 9th GP on the dash inside the cab so he could see how hot they were getting. I've been using a manual button for several years and I like it, but I just pulled the GPs and had three bad ones. I am careful not to glow too long, 8 never over 10 seconds, but if I could have a visual read I think that would help. Also I'm always confused on how to after glow once she fires. It's an "86" 6.9 crew cab dually. Might also help to make a fire if I forget matches. THANKS

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ninth glow plug will be on the dash somewhere and it will get glowing hot when you use the glow plugs - NOT a good idea. You are better off counting seconds. A second reason is the ninth glow plug will be drawing a LOT of current when energised. This will NOT help the other glow plugs get hot.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm always confused on how to after glow once she fires.

I don't know why you would bother. It's really not necessary. Once it's running just leave it be for a few minutes while it heats itself up and you'll be fine. I don't think the bullnose trucks ever did afterglow? I was always under the impression that came with the newer 7.3 style controller.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know why you would bother. It's really not necessary. Once it's running just leave it be for a few minutes while it heats itself up and you'll be fine. I don't think the bullnose trucks ever did afterglow? I was always under the impression that came with the newer 7.3 style controller.
It's probably not necessary, but I hit the switch a few times after it fired up. Mostly because I burn WMO and I'm trying to help it out. And yeah, the old style system cycles a few times after it cranks up.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Afterglow was only for emissions reasons.

The glowplugs that burnt out, where they Beru's?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I manually afterglow mine, but usually only when it's 15* or so. I feel that it helps to put some extra heat into the cylinders when you first start the engine cold and you're also injecting cold fuel. Maybe I'm completely wrong too.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I manually afterglow mine, but usually only when it's 15* or so. I feel that it helps to put some extra heat into the cylinders when you first start the engine cold and you're also injecting cold fuel. Maybe I'm completely wrong too.
Same here, anything around freezing for me. Just seems to help less smoke and therefore a better burn for the first few seconds. 5-10 usually

Poorman

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's, like others stated I give it a second or third shot just to cut down on the smoke, I think I may be too worried about burning the glow plugs and don't glow long enough on the first glow, it starts pretty good but smokes and runs rough, I watch the smoke though the mirror, when I hit the button again for maybe four or five seconds it clears up substantially. Yes I'm using motorcraft beru's. I'd still like to hear from someone who's tried a ninth GP.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it runs smoother with a little after-glow, you should probably do it?

On my mercedes I've noticed that the four plugs keep on drawing 20-30A for 20 seconds or so after the light goes out. It's a bit more cold blooded than the IDIs, strangely enough. I should probably check the compression.

If we were going to do a ninth glow plug, maybe the thing to do would be stick a heating element inside the intake manifold, like on the Cummins.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's, like others stated I give it a second or third shot just to cut down on the smoke, I think I may be too worried about burning the glow plugs and don't glow long enough on the first glow, it starts pretty good but smokes and runs rough, I watch the smoke though the mirror, when I hit the button again for maybe four or five seconds it clears up substantially. Yes I'm using motorcraft beru's. I'd still like to hear from someone who's tried a ninth GP.
If you had a couple of bad glowplugs, it will run rough and smoke till those cylinders with the bad plugs start contributing. But it did start didn't it? It would not have started even with one bad glowplug with the original controller. I am all about convenience, but when convenience stops the show right when you need the truck, I will do without it.

I guess glowplugs can be considered consumables, like torch tips and such. Just going to have to keep some on hand. Once you get your new ones in and see how it starts, you will be able to tell from now on when one or more goes bad.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have never done it, but I have used a couple pickups that were set up that way. They were set up that way because the glow plugs that they used took so long to heat up, most people wouldnt hold the button long enough. They would tell the drivers to push button until that plug glows and then start. Took 30 seconds for those particular plugs.

The beru plugs are good for auto control, but there are much better options for going full manual.

As far as afterglow, these generally dont have smoking issues after 5 seconds or so of starting even without after glowing the plugs.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had auto lights and motor craft beru the auto lights heat up almost twice as fast in my case what took 4 seconds with the auto lights not takes 6 or 8 with the beru

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat