New truck...engine dies when shifting

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
Hey guys...I finally made it over from that "other" site. I like it here already.

Anyway I just bought a 92 crew cab that is 850 miles away. Going to pick it up in 12 days and hopefully drive it back. Owner says it burns oil, blows a lot of smoke and the engine dies when down shifting. He was also told a head gasket was bad. Being that it's site unseen I really know nothing about it. Only it's been driven this way for a while now including a recent 200 mile trip. So basically I am hoping to limp it home (bringing towbar JIC) and then look it over good. I have a spare 6.9 if the diagnosis is bad.

I am bringing a new fuel filter and spare IP...although I don't really want to swap that on the road. And I am not sure what color the smoke was...just asuming blue since it "uses oil and blows some smoke". Maybe a roadside RDT install is in order to eliminate the CDR? Any words of advice for an adventure like this?

Thanks,
Jason

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Dies between shifts says to me that the metering valve is sticking... dump some world famous Fred's Hair Tonic in her tanks and enjoy... That will probably free up the metering valve...

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
I can only get power service or lucas locally. I usually use PS...is that OK?

As long as oil is not mixing with water or vise versa should I not worry about driving it? Just keep all the fluids topped off right?

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
fiverpuller said:
I can only get power service or lucas locally. I usually use PS...is that OK?

As long as oil is not mixing with water or vise versa should I not worry about driving it? Just keep all the fluids topped off right?

Other stuff does not compare to the Standadyne stuff. You will need to get it from a diesel fuel pump service center or something on those lines.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
I had the same problem and the fuel additive works I tried Fred's Hair tonic and I really don't notice the difference from the stuff I buy locally here. This new stuff I'am trying works really well it doesn't have much of a label so I don't know who makes it the local diesel shop carries it.

It is the metering valve that causes the stalling I know it was a PITA for me I had to be carefull shifting down hill because it would stall so quick that the steering and brakes go hard :eek:

I used the additive (Freds Hair tonic) it worked then I started using additives I get locally. No one here carries Stanadyne products and they can't be mailed because its D/G and to courier it is too expensive.

Fred Hemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RKOCH said:
Other stuff does not compare to the Standadyne stuff. You will need to get it from a diesel fuel pump service center or something on those lines.
You could try an over dose of PS dump a whole pint in to 1/2 a tank of fuel bet the lubicity formula is the best as far as I am concerned!Before you go messing with the timeing and such give the standyne a go!

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
argve said:
Dies between shifts says to me that the metering valve is sticking... dump some world famous Fred's Hair Tonic in her tanks and enjoy... That will probably free up the metering valve...

Wonder how Marvel Mystery Oil in the diesel fuel tank would work...

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
Do you think a stuck metering valve could cause it to smoke as well? Just wondering if maybe it's only the IP that is bad on this thing? :confused:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the metering valve is sticking, then it's likely the whole fuel system has been largely ignored. Running several tanks of overdossed fuel treatment might yeild some improvement, but the injectors might be too shot to make much of a difference there. Check out the fuel system servicing article link in my sig for what to look at when you get it home. It certainly sounds driveable if it's holding its fluids. Perhaps put a fresh oil change in it before you bring it home, so you can track the oil consumption yourself, and assure it a fighting chance of survival. Good luck on the adventure. Getting a new used truck is always much fun! :thumbsup:

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Since the weather warmed up I switched to PS Diesel Kleen. I've been dumping in a bunch to try to help mileage, etc. This last tank I'm runnning on seems to be doing better. I haven't filled back up to check yet. I need to do a good run to see what the mileage on the highway is. I use a baby bottle to measure and I'm putting in at least 9-10 oz. per 15 gallons. A couple of bottles of Stanadyne Lubricity per tank would be a good idea to start with and then pick you poison after that if the system responds. Hope it all goes well for you. Even if you had to replace the motor and fuel system, for the right price you'll still have a good rig knowing what's under the hood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online

No members online now.