new tires?

Black dawg

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, and no the michelins wont cut it for this application. I have never been a bfg at fan, it seems like all the guys who polish their wheels everyday have them.

I am finding out that the coopers that I have been looking at arent nearly as available as I would like.

So, Looks like the bfg commercial traction, unless I can get the price down some on the toyo m55

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One was unloaded at 70 mph into a sign the other was bout 58mph (cruising speed locked in 6th). I gross 30k bout 3-4 times a week and the tires stay aired to max. They wear worse on a loaded truck than any tire I've owned and when they blow they don't leave anything behind. I travel gravel roads and drive in pastures daily, they don't have good off road traction for anything I do.

Cost me 350/tire and 1500 in repairs. Can't say I am happy with them at all.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, and no the michelins wont cut it for this application. I have never been a bfg at fan, it seems like all the guys who polish their wheels everyday have them.

I am finding out that the coopers that I have been looking at arent nearly as available as I would like.

So, Looks like the bfg commercial traction, unless I can get the price down some on the toyo m55

Have you looked at any of the other Cooper tread patterns? I haven't been able to find that tread style in awhile.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Michelin's don't like gravel. Don't buy them if you drive a lot of gravel, they get wasted in a hurry.

Perhaps it depends on which Michelin's. The Michelin XPS is probably the toughest tire on the market. It has 4 steel tread plys an is super tough on the gravel, but 235/85's go for $400.

Coopers have always been junk in my experience. Our gravel roads eat Coopers alive. Terrible tire in my opinion and overpriced. Especially for what you get. Now, I don't know about the Cooper ST MAXX. It's a relatively new tire and I haven't seen or experienced how they wear on the gravel.

Ten years ago we ran TOYO M-55's on everything at the ranch. They are an awesome tire, but like you said they are just too expensive anymore. The best thing out there for you is the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac. They are the tire to replace the TOYO. This is what I was told by our local tire shop and after running them a couple of years I have to agree. They are great on snow and ice and wear very well on the gravel. You may be familiar with the Goodyear Work Horse that was popular several years ago. We tried a set once. We were told that they were developed for the mining companies to hold up to their use. Our gravel roads destroyed those. I was not impressed. The Duratrac puts those to shame. Whatever Goodyear did when they designed this tire worked. Our ranch pickups see a lot of gravel miles. If we get over 20K miles out of a set of tires, that's really good. These are my observations over the last fifteen years or so. Today my choice would be the Goodyear Duratrac hand down. Hope this helps.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Yes, but that is the only one that I have experience with. I hate buying something that might not work good enough for me, because I will take them off and end up putting the m55s on anyway.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Perhaps it depends on which Michelin's. The Michelin XPS is probably the toughest tire on the market. It has 4 steel tread plys an is super tough on the gravel, but 235/85's go for $400.

Coopers have always been junk in my experience. Our gravel roads eat Coopers alive. Terrible tire in my opinion and overpriced. Especially for what you get. Now, I don't know about the Cooper ST MAXX. It's a relatively new tire and I haven't seen or experienced how they wear on the gravel.

Ten years ago we ran TOYO M-55's on everything at the ranch. They are an awesome tire, but like you said they are just too expensive anymore. The best thing out there for you is the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac. They are the tire to replace the TOYO. This is what I was told by our local tire shop and after running them a couple of years I have to agree. They are great on snow and ice and wear very well on the gravel. You may be familiar with the Goodyear Work Horse that was popular several years ago. We tried a set once. We were told that they were developed for the mining companies to hold up to their use. Our gravel roads destroyed those. I was not impressed. The Duratrac puts those to shame. Whatever Goodyear did when they designed this tire worked. Our ranch pickups see a lot of gravel miles. If we get over 20K miles out of a set of tires, that's really good. These are my observations over the last fifteen years or so. Today my choice would be the Goodyear Duratrac hand down. Hope this helps.

I wondered about those duratracs, I will take a peak at those. thanks.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
isn't 30K just slightly illegal?

$350 per tire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HOLY HELL!!!!!!!!!!!

what size tire were you running and what model of Michelin.

were those two blowouts on your '06 2500?

Last edited:

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Toyo M55's are a hard act to follow. I am hoping to have the coin for a set of 285/75-16's when my Cooper AT 3's wear out.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran a set of Kumho mud terrains that were beat to hell, sliced, gashed and worn unevenly (they came with the truck and I was poor), they did great in everything. I replaced them with a set of BFG mud terrains and they have done the job for me. I do lots of gravel road driving, highway driving and mud/snow driving. I am almost always hauling something or pulling a trailer with my truck.

My wife's old Isuzu rodeo had a set of Kumho all terrain type tires and I rarely had to put it into 4wd to get around in the snow.

The only BFG All Terrain tires I had were on a 2wd truck, and it was 1 tire fire to boot. They sucked in everything but dry pavement.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everybody loves a good tire argument --- I mean discussion.

Myself, I cannot recommend any radial tire for use on gravel roads; this is where quality bias tires rule.

We have had several bad experiences with various Goodyear LT tires, enough that I can't recommend them; admittedly, I have not even yet seen one of that new design mentioned, but the acorn is gonna have to fall a long way from the tree for me to have any confidence in it.

If one is dead set on using radials, then the M-55 is probably the best choice; I rate anything COOPER-made as second choice to the M-55s.

We seldom ever get any comebacks on Cooper tires.

I have never been a Michelin fan, mostly because their is no such thing as getting a reimbursement on returns; if we warranty one, we just have to eat it; thus, I never recommend them.

That new Cooper ST MAXX or whatever is a real good-looking tire AND, like the M-55, it is pinned for ice-studs, whereas many aren't.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Everybody loves a good tire argument --- I mean discussion.

Myself, I cannot recommend any radial tire for use on gravel roads; this is where quality bias tires rule.

We have had several bad experiences with various Goodyear LT tires, enough that I can't recommend them; admittedly, I have not even yet seen one of that new design mentioned, but the acorn is gonna have to fall a long way from the tree for me to have any confidence in it.

If one is dead set on using radials, then the M-55 is probably the best choice; I rate anything COOPER-made as second choice to the M-55s.

We seldom ever get any comebacks on Cooper tires.

I have never been a Michelin fan, mostly because their is no such thing as getting a reimbursement on returns; if we warranty one, we just have to eat it; thus, I never recommend them.

That new Cooper ST MAXX or whatever is a real good-looking tire AND, like the M-55, it is pinned for ice-studs, whereas many aren't.

Where do I find these bias tires?

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
isn't 30K just slightly illegal?

$350 per tire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HOLY HELL!!!!!!!!!!!

what size tire were you running and what model of Michelin.

were those two blowouts on your '06 2500?

the new MT BAJA ATZ 305/55 R 20's were 450/tire, the michelins were LTX AT2 285/55R20.

My truck is tagged for 36k for hot shot business. A cdl is slightly suggested for these weights.

Yes they were both pass side. When the rear went it was either a semi or the ditch and once I was in the ditch I was into a fence.

On my other trucks I run Goodyear duratracs and silent armors (had a disagreement with local Goodyear shop and am now running coopers), have 3 styles of coopers and have been more than happy with those, and have started running treadwright retreads and have been impressed. Out of those 3 brands in have never had one let loose like a Michelin.

Last edited:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do I find these bias tires?

http://www.stausaonline.com/light-truck/index.html

I get mine from Specialty Tires of America, formerly known as McCreary Tire and Rubber, Made in Pennsylvania USA

I run the 7.50-16 LR-E ; steers on the front; traction treads across the rear.

Be aware that these tires are made in BOTH tubeless and tube-type; be sure to get the tubeless.

I also run the steers on all of my goose-neck trailers, same size as the truck tires.

Last edited:

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.stausaonline.com/light-truck/index.html

I get mine from Specialty Tires of America, formerly known as McCreary Tire and Rubber, Made in Pennsylvania USA

I run the 7.50-16 LR-E ; steers on the front; traction treads across the rear.

Be aware that these tires are made in BOTH tubeless and tube-type; be sure to get the tubeless.

I also run the steers on all of my goose-neck trailers, same size as the truck tires.

I've been thinking of doing this. I run the same size trailer tire and truck tire and essentially have 2 or 3 spares per rig. I have been putting 14ply trailer tires on though, wished I could find good 14 ply drive tires.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7