new tires?

Black dawg

Reaction score
looking at getting new tires, just regular old 235/85-16. I have run the toyo m55 forever, with zero complaints other than price. Now that the best price I can find is
1100+ for 4, I am thinking of trying something else.

The three tires I am looking at are,

the bfg commercial traction
the bfg all terrain
cooper st

anybody have any experience with any of these?
all three of these are around 800 on the truck.

Also, any other suggestions?
need to last 40k or better
good snow/hard pack/ ice traction
be super tough, I drive alot of rocky rough roads.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like my Coopers as far as traction and handling goes. I'm happy with 30k out of most of my tires considering the loads I pull.
Bfg commercial grade lasts 50k easy but isn't the most aggressive design, they started a new tread pattern and Idk what miles it will go.

I have ran AT3 (can get 50k under normal driving) , STT (30k under heavy loads easy), and srm 2 (run for 2wd steer tires for 60k and they would still work for a highway drive tire at those miles)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love my M55's 265/85/16's and SIPED...amazing in snow and such now...just amazing!

Have had BFG's and didn't like them as much as this tyre! Both you mention...neither compare actually IMHO...All terrain too weak sidewall...suck!!!! rocks cut em fast!

Cooper's cannot speak to!

JM2CW

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Coopers, very decent tire, coming on 3 years old next month, not so many miles, still look new. I would buy them again.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get the Coopers under the name "Futura" at Pep Boys. They normally run a "Buy 3, get 1 for free" sale.

Our Pep Boys around here suck the little hairy monkey nuts. Their service is terrible.

I've heard very good things about the Firestone Destination MT, but I would get those siped.

C.J.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the BFG ATs before. Great traction but not so great mileage out of em. Wouldn't recommend them. I've had a set of Coopers before and loved em. Great traction and mileage. Now I just go to Les Schwab because when I have an issue, they are everywhere. I have the same size tires on my truck that you're looking at and they were just under a grand:dunno Didn't really wanna pay that but...

foresterdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got Cooper Maxx in 235/85R16 last spring. A good agressive tread, not noisy in my opinion. I like the idea of the triple ply sidewall. Have not had them for any estimate of wear. My local small tire shop sold them to me for $800 for the 4, mounted and balanced.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i know you said you travel on gravel roads, but what other things do you use your truck for?

I would STRONGLY consider the Michelin LTX M/S 2. I have them on the back of my truck and they are by far THE BEST tire i have EVER used in the snow. driving on unplowed roads with 5"-6" of snow the truck did great and i had to TRY to get the back end out of shape. keep in mind my truck is 2wd. the entire truck was nice and planted the whole time. they do good on wet roads as well. i honestly can't even imagine what it would be like to use m/s 2's on a 4x4 truck. they also have a 70,000 mile warranty, which for an LT tire that is damn good.

the bfg K/O are crap. they don't wear for chit and they SUCK in the snow and mud.

cooper makes some good light truck tires. if i didn't know how good these M/S 2's are i would consider a set of coopers, not totally sure of the model yet though.

the m/s 2's are a bit more $$$, but if you use your truck for highway, hauling, and towing with minimal "off-roading" then take a good look at the m/s 2's. i can't comment on the m/s 2's ability to withstand heavy duty gravel use.

libsys

Reaction score
That's good to hear about the LTX M/S 2. I got a set last September. I'll be taking them up to the snow tomorrow for the first time.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Michelin's don't like gravel. Don't buy them if you drive a lot of gravel, they get wasted in a hurry.

84-6.9IdI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen nothing but good out of my bfg all terrains. I have a set of 295/75/16's on my truck i got used for 175 bucks they didn't have a whole lot of tread on em. I've put around 8,000 miles and can barely tell I've drove on em since I got em. They do damn good in the mud and plow through snow. I do a lot of off road driving and pulled a lot of gravity wagons with them they do awesome even in the mud! why does everyone run such small tires??

Reaction score
Running Cooper Discoverer HTs on my truck. No complaints, and this is the second truck I've run them on. You'd probably want the all- terrain version, but I recommend the brand for sure.

Mike

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's good to hear about the LTX M/S 2. I got a set last September. I'll be taking them up to the snow tomorrow for the first time.

I hate Michelin tires, only got 30k before I blew both pass side tires and wrecked my Dmax one of the times.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E Moeller