new tires?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
so when a person like tanman says they gross out at "x" weight, that is the truck, trailer, and cargo all combined right?

what exactly does the gross vehicle weight rating(GVWR) mean then? i mean you truck is plated for 36K lbs, but how is it safe in any way to haul/tow that much? i know the truck is not rated my who ever does the rating to be able to haul 36K lbs.

not trying to pick a fight, just trying to under stand weight ratings and such more.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I was old enough to not care about looks anymore, but man those duratracs are ugly.

Well, they definitely look different than anything else on the market. You could learn to like them. Ugly or not I've been impressed with them.

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a set of D-tracs on my truck... and yes, they are ugly as (fill-in-the-blank). I say they're the good kind of ugly! I put them on last fall and have put prob. about 4k km on them and so far I like them. I still need to put some weight in the bed though. Been in snow up to the bumper without getting close to stuck. The axles were plowing a fair bit...

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
for those of you with those dirty tracs, make sure you stay up on your tire rotations. it is SUPER IMPORTANT with them. with regular roto you can get very good mileage from them considering what they are.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so when a person like tanman says they gross out at "x" weight, that is the truck, trailer, and cargo all combined right?

what exactly does the gross vehicle weight rating(GVWR) mean then? i mean you truck is plated for 36K lbs, but how is it safe in any way to haul/tow that much? i know the truck is not rated my who ever does the rating to be able to haul 36K lbs.

not trying to pick a fight, just trying to under stand weight ratings and such more.

The manufacturer weight rating is more or less a suggestion, it is not enforceable by the dot. You have to pay extra to get a vehicle tagged at that weight and you better have a trailer that is atleast in the same ball park as far as its axle ratings.

That weight is truck, trailer and load combined.

A stock 93 chevy 4x4 dually has a gvwr of 9,600-10,200 and my trucks weigh +/- 7k and my main trailer is 6500. Gcwr for these is 18,000 iirc and the law says you don't have to have a cdl for under 26k (unless you haul commercially) so there is alot of Grey area.

Beings that some of my farm loads can be considered for profit in keep a truck tagged for the weight of those loads.

John Deere

Reaction score
I have a pickup commercially plated for 36,000 also. My dad made the mistake of going through a port a couple years ago weighing 27,500 with regular plates on this ranch pickup. A $25 ticket and $6 spent at the county treasurers office getting commercial plates that now make this pickup legal at 36,000 because the issuing wydot officer wrote him a fixit cititation forcing us to. He came up with 36,000 because of 11,500 gvwr on pickup and 24,500 gvwr on trailer.

I thought it was stupid because the individual axle ratings don't add up to 36,000.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7