New SX257 Turbo installed in factory location (upgraded from Wicked Wheel 093)

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i got tired of my turbo leaking oil all over the engine bay so i opted to replace it. My other engine still isnt done so i have the new turbo set to 7psi. I had to notch and weld the intake hat for it to fit with the snail clocked from my IC (i have upgraded 3" pipe welded intake for new engine), and grind down one of the compressor housing brackets. There is a more noticable whistle when driving, i havent driven it more than abuot 10 miles though so i wont have any great data on EGTs or IATs until i do. I ended up relocating my intake from below the radiator into the engine bay for now because the radiator fans were plowing hot air on the piping making it hotter. I plan on also reinstalling the clutch fan to see what it does since AC isnt great at idle with the water IC blocking my condenser.

The biggest thing i noticed is the increased oil pressure. I think there was an issue with my other turbos bearing. When engine was hot and puhing clutch in i would watch oil pressure drop to 4psi. The lowest i saw it go was 8psi and hot idle was 10-11 where it was 5-6 before. cruising oil pressure was 26-28psi before now its 35-38psi. It's still the same oil feed line, fittings, and senders.

The turbo doesnt seem to spool any faster or slower, but it does seem to stay spooled better during shifts. I also installed the larger outlet housing and installed a flex pipe in the line to hopefully take some of the stress off of the down pipe.

Here is a video of before and after the turbo install, same camera phone, same road, truck isnt floored because it just blows black smoke, but its about 60-70% throttle which is what it takes to maintain the 7psi since thats really all the usable air i have for the fuel until the new engine gets done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_hQU6vzTrc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3d2HcujEsI

Attachments

• IMAG0359.jpg
    IMAG0359.jpg
    1,004.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMAG0349.jpg
    IMAG0349.jpg
    994.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMAG0348.jpg
    IMAG0348.jpg
    1,018 KB · Views: 40
  • IMAG0347.jpg
    IMAG0347.jpg
    1,022.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMAG0380.jpg
    IMAG0380.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 41
  • IMAG0365.jpg
    IMAG0365.jpg
    832.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMAG0367.jpg
    IMAG0367.jpg
    872.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMAG0363.jpg
    IMAG0363.jpg
    861.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMAG0387.jpg
    IMAG0387.jpg
    1,002.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMAG0388.jpg
    IMAG0388.jpg
    1,016.1 KB · Views: 41

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Looks nice, love the color Justin uses

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth my truck is n/a with nothing blocking the ac condenser and my ac sucks at idle as well.
Hate to see you swap out what you listed just to get the same results.
Who knows maybe it will help. I just figured I'd throw that out there.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh really? Does your temp his 210F on the highway too? At 65mph on the highway in 95F weather i can see my coolant temp get to 210 with the AC on, 200F with the AC off. In cooler weather or at 55mph the temp is usually around 190F.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks nice, love the color Justin uses

Im actually painting my whole engine that orange and blue. I really like it too. Here's a couple pics i left out

Attachments

• IMAG0383.jpg
    IMAG0383.jpg
    1,001.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMAG0392.jpg
    IMAG0392.jpg
    1,000 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Why the flex joint on the DP? Is it really causing that much of an issue?

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i had a slightly vibration at idle with the old setup figured was because there was no flex other than the rubber mounts in the exhaust system. I figured i'd do this to make it smoother. The new down pipe us much worse, it's hitting somewhere so i'll have to put it up on the lift and see but i figured the flex pipe couldnt hurt. The 3" down pipe was no where need close to lining up with my exhaust system, i'd say it was off by atleast 15-20 degrees, which i know theres a ball connection on it, but i like to line them up straight, the flex pipe allowed me to do that without having to recut and weld it.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
I see,makes sense. I just ask because I am about to install my new 3 inch elbow and downpipe from R&D, but its at the ceramic coaters now, so its a little to late to add the flex tube for me. Ill have to add it to the joint piece on mine if need be

Also where is your fuel filter? I went back to your other thread but cant find it if you said where you relocated it too

Last edited:

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh really? Does your temp his 210F on the highway too? At 65mph on the highway in 95F weather i can see my coolant temp get to 210 with the AC on, 200F with the AC off. In cooler weather or at 55mph the temp is usually around 190F.
Yes my truck does the exact same behavior temp wise at those speeds.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dropped mine in from the top when i had the turbo off so i am not sure how hard it is to get in from the bottom with the larger flange fitting, i know it takes a little bit of work all welded as one piece at a 2.75" DP that i had in there before. The new DP i didnt even clamp where the two pipes met, there was no room and i dont think think id be able to get it out as a single piece. It doesnt seem to be leaking at all though.

My fuel pump and filter are under the drive side frame, i do all highway driving and used fernco fittings for rock gaurds. About 6k miles on it so far with no issues.

Attachments

• 2016-03-20 12.58.01.jpg
    2016-03-20 12.58.01.jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 86

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you can definitely see it below the frame, i used some 3" Fernco fittings to protect the glass bowls and drain petcocks from rocks, people keep asking me why i cut my exhaust and pointed it straight at the ground. I could build something fancy around it like a skid plate but this works fine. Plus i put holes through the fernco fittings so i can see the bowls and watch for any water or sediment.

Attachments

• IMAG0394.jpg
    IMAG0394.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMAG0393.jpg
    IMAG0393.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been on vacation for a little while so i havent put many miles on it it, just a few hundred but its definitely more responsive, fuel ecconmony doesnt appear to have changed at all, i havent run a full tank yet since i go 600+ miles between fill ups, but its more responsive and my down pipe is hitting something so i gotta clearence that more when i put the new engine in.

What i found strange is at 55-60mph i see 2psi cruising, 65-70mph i see 3 psi the same as before with the factory turbo and wicked wheel, but the post turbo temperatures are about 20 degrees higher at the same pressure. Before i saw 150-170 i am seeing 170-190 now. I am not sure why that is. More heat means less efficiency i would think. The only think i can think of is i saw an oil pressure increase of almost 10psi crusing with the new turbo, that says to me reduced oil flow, so reduced cooling for the turbo.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I dont see how reduced oil flow through the turbo would cause intake temps to rise that much. Much more likely, like you said, its less efficient in that range. IIRC the S2xx turbo's have an older series compressor wheel on them. Which they may be more efficient than what came on factory turbo's, but they might not be as efficient as the WW.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online