New shoes!

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wanted to show off just a little- these are the new tires and wheels that will be going on the truck this weekend.

You must be registered for see images attach

In case you haven't already noticed, these are retread tires. I've never tried retreads before, but for the price of these I couldn't pass them up ($111 each for a 285/75R16), and they are a really high quality looking tire (if it wasn't for the fact these are Goodyear Wrangler MTR treads on a Yokohama Geolandar AT casing, I bet nobody would guess they are a retread). I'll let you guys know how they hold up.

Best part of all- in all four of these wheels and tires (not including shipping on the tires) I have a total of $720 invested. ;Sweet Yes, the wheels are brand new.

sootman73

Reaction score
was that the most aggressive tread pattern they had? i wasn't too sure about the pictures they showed on the website. did the picture match exactly what you got?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Those are nice looking tires and wheels but... They would look better on my truck. Yes... I'll pay the shipping but you need to know I will take real good care of them...:D Not a bad price on the complete set either... Do you know someone for such a great deal...

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
www.treadwright.com, they'll hook you up :)

Sootman, their tread patterns are a little weird...in 285/75R16 you can only get a BFG AT tread, Dunlop Mud Rover tread, or Goodyear Wrangler MTR tread.

But yes, what I got is just what they show (however, it's a crap shoot as to what casings you'll end up with)

sootman73

Reaction score
what are the differences between the regular and ultra grips? other than the price of course.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I thought the tread on those things looked awfully familiar!

But couldnt get past the Yokohama name on them. lol
I have to say I love my MTR's so far!

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
If you are patient it seems the company can get you certain casings, if thats something you are just bent on. The guys there seem pretty customer friendly....

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running the same size Treadwright's on my Jeep. They are the D-MUD tread which is pretty nearly identical to the tread pattern of a Dunlop Radial Mud Rover. I've been running them offroad for years and have been very happy with them. They are about 1/2 - 2/3 the price of Dunlops in the same size and have held up to the 4-wheeling abuse very well.

When they were new none of the 5 (including the spare) took more than 3 ounces of weight to balance - which is pretty comparable to new tires this size.

These aren't your grand-dad's retreads. with the old fashioned retreads they just glued a new band of tread onto an old carcass. With these they take a matched set of carcasses that have to pass a rigorous inspection, then they grind all the old tread off stopping just short of the steel belts. Then they throw the carcasses into a mold and mold brand new tread onto them. Not much different than the process to manufacture new tires...

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what are the differences between the regular and ultra grips? other than the price of course.

They have a little PDF on the page about that...the Ultragrips have fine walnut shell material mixed into the tread rubber compound. I've heard of this done before with other materials. Supposed to be a big help with ice & packed snow traction especially, and wet traction.

My tires are ultragrips, so I guess I'll see how they work.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the wheels what brand and how much if you dont mind?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wheels look nice. However, personally I would not be caught dead with Yokahama mama's on my truck. Folks that see them won't know they are retreads.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the wheels what brand and how much if you dont mind?

I don't believe they're available anymore, unfortunately. I got them from Discount Tire Direct in October 2007 (before I had actually even bought the truck) and they were on closeout. They are MB Razors. I got them for $68 each with free shipping, best deal I've ever seen on new wheels.

sootman73

Reaction score
yea i found that pdf shortly after asking you. for a couple more bucks why not? would those little pieces work their way out as the tread wears down and then leave holes in the tread? i guess ill just have to see cuz i think im gonna get a set of the D-MUD ultras. thanks for your help ghunt!

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i found that pdf shortly after asking you. for a couple more bucks why not? would those little pieces work their way out as the tread wears down and then leave holes in the tread? i guess ill just have to see cuz i think im gonna get a set of the D-MUD ultras. thanks for your help ghunt!

They probably would, but really- on a mud tire, if you end up with little tiny holes int the tread it would probably act like siping.

And yeah, that's what I said...for $10 a tire, if it helps ice & wet weather traction, it's worth a try.

I stumbled across these guys on Google myself while trying to find out if anyone sold decent retreads. Just trying to spread the word as it seems like they do some quality work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online