New shoes!

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Not trying to change your mind but just saying that my experience and the experience of others, with treadwright tires, is that they hold up fine (I was wrong mine have 7,500 miles on them)(going out to rotate them now that I think of it).

Most people that post negative posts, have never run them or its been many years since they have...so I am leveling out the field with first hand, recent experience...to each his own!

But if everyone ran retreads there would be no markets to get good casings from....hmmm....a catch 22.

Thad

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my first experience with retreads and I have zero complaints. I'm sure as hell not "careful" with the tires...I mean, I told myself when I got them that I'd check tire pressure all the time and I don't.

Back in June when I bought my bike, I drove 105 miles out, loaded up my 600 lb motorcycle, and drove 105 miles back with no issues whatsoever. I realize 600 lbs isn't exactly a huge load, but still.

sootman73

Reaction score
another thing is that recapped and retread are not the same thing. recapped are old technology. retreads are new. its like comparing the 5.7l GM diesel to the duramax. old technology has many problems while lessons learned are applied as years go on. its a new process now a days. i have run 80-85 mph for hours on end. hell the tires are only warm after that kind of run.

and not running retreads is an opinion but only an option for those of us who want to spend $700-$900 on four tires. i dont want to. i cant. but i dont want to get hand me downs from neighbors any more that last a few thousand miles and then ihave to find new ones again.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure...I still have them on my truck...but, it doesn't even look like these tires will make it to 20,000 miles. I don't drive long distances much, and I'd say I've put a little over 10K on these tires and they have around 1/3 or so of tread left on them.

That being said, I'm pretty sure I will order from treadwright again except I think I will get the AT's this time.

I agree with you, new tire prices make my eyes water...plus, I had been considering General Grabber AT2's, but those damn things are STILL on backorder. It's been 2 years, come on!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
plus, I had been considering General Grabber AT2's, but those damn things are STILL on backorder. It's been 2 years, come on!

What size? I just had four Grabber AT2s installed on my truck about a month or so ago, in the 235/85-16 variety...

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
285/75R16.

That size was on backorder 2 years ago, which is why I bought the Treadwrights. I checked Tirerack a couple weeks ago and that size is still shown as backordered.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check with a local tire store maybe? Not saying you have to buy from the, but at least they may have more up-to-date information on the backorder status...

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did back then- guessing it's probably still the same. I literally called all over the place looking for those tires, was told the same thing everywhere-national backorder. Guessing it's still the same story.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any more of a mileage update on these treadwrights? Im in the market and it hurts to look at new tire prices.....

I've got a little over 10,000miles on mine and couldn't be happier. In the snow they grip like mad, are silent going down the road, and don't show a lick of wear on them. Ive tested them plenty of times and so far they have handled, numerous runs with 2.5 ton of gravel while going 55 mph, towing several trailers, several runs on road, off road,in fields, and gravel. The driver side still looks brand new, the passenger side has a little less tread from the occasional burnout.
:peelout.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
not legal in pa! i thought about running retreads, but canot run them on a steer axle.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Kinda interesting that some states say no retreads on the steer axle, anyone ever look at the tires on a airplane? Yes they are retreads.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought two of the retreads from Treadwright, 235/85/16 with the Wrangler AT treads about 6 months ago for $79.95 ea. . One kept losing air and the other lost about a six inch square on th tread, think I ran over something to cause that. Contacted Treadwright and they sent me two replacements on Michelin casings at no charge. Felt so bad about it I sent them $30 for shipping. They are very good to deal with, no questions asked, I'll sure as hell purchase from them again.

By the way, I'm running them as steer tires. As far as I know, only Busses and semi's can't run them as steer tires.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This particular issue has me somewhat torn. On the one hand, I understand not wanting to spend buku dinero on tires. OTOH, you get what you pay for.
It sounds like Treadwright is a good company to deal with, but I still have a mental stigma attached to retreads.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This particular issue has me somewhat torn. On the one hand, I understand not wanting to spend buku dinero on tires. OTOH, you get what you pay for.
It sounds like Treadwright is a good company to deal with, but I still have a mental stigma attached to retreads.

I second that and it seems like its a crapshoot wheather they will last.

And in refrence to the retreads on a steer axle as far as trucks go its illeagal nation wide some states may alow it but DOT says NO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online