New Mechanical Lift Pump...

BenP38

Reaction score
All,
Preamble: I normally run WMO in my 7.3 IDI, but not in the cold weather, and I have not started using it this year yet. I do not like the idea of using an electric lift pump; I prefer all mechanical. I am not doing any performance stuff, just stock. My truck has about 130k on it, odometer has not rolled over more than the one time.

I had thought that my lift pump was getting weak so I replaced it with a new one. In about 3 months the new pump was bad. I took it off and put my finger over the inlet side and pumped the lever and there was no suction. I had another brand new one that a friend had given me, so I did my little finger test on that and no suction there either. I still had the "weak" pump, so I did my finger test on that one and there was significant suction. So I put that pump back on and have been using it ever since. It would be about 6 months ago that I put the old pump on. I have been using mostly regular pump diesel during that time. Truck has a new fuel filter, also mostly pump diesel run trough it.

The other day I saw the filter light come on when pulled hard at an on-ramp. Since the filter is new and it was not anywhere near cold enough for jelling (30F or so, and with additive) I am starting to suspect the lift pump again. It is likely the original pump from the factory.

The issue is that after seeing two brand new lift pumps in a row that were apparently just trash, I am not excited about buying another one from the autoparts store. And while i did spot one for $75 instead of the usual $30, I had no assurance that it was any better.

So, finally after all that, here are my questions: Do any of you know of a high quality mechanical lift pump I can get? Is there a high volume low pressure piston pump available out there like there is for the Cummins 12 valve?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would stop beating my head against the wall and prepare to install a easily available electric pump, especially since you run wmo. Waste motor oil is bad for the fuel system, it's a fact. You are saving a lot of money but you need to be prepared to replace components in the fuel system more often.

ALL vehicles now run electric pumps, it's a fact of life you can't get around.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fwiw, and a +1 on wmo being harder on the eng., but fuel is fuel....

IIrc, Ford recently as like a year ago.....stocked these pumps, they of course are closer to a hundred bucks tho.

BenP38

Reaction score
Franklin- these pumps died on regular pump diesel, not wmo. I mostly want a pump as good as the original, not trash. I have used electric pumps and was not super impressed.

Clb- that was the $75 one I found. Is it actually better than the $30 pumps or just rebranded? Do you know?

BenP38

Reaction score
Greenie that is just what I am thinking. But are they all Chinese now? I don't want to end up just buying the same Chinese pump with a ford logo on the box.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Franklin- these pumps died on regular pump diesel, not wmo. I mostly want a pump as good as the original, not trash. I have used electric pumps and was not super impressed.

Clb- that was the $75 one I found. Is it actually better than the $30 pumps or just rebranded? Do you know?
In Corporate Chimerica today???
I dunno, perhaps the warranty is better...
I'm thinking call the stealership and see where it's made?!

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran a fair amount of WMO in my IDI, and in my experience, unless you are centrifuging and paying lots of attention to viscosity, you are going to see more pressure drop across a stock fuel filter with WMO. The light is an indicator, but if you really want to monitor you should use a fuel pressure gage and take a look at what straight diesel looks like versus any particular tank of WMO when you switch tanks.

Lastly, you can and should question all the mechanical pumps out there. I used to swear by the old Carter's in my carbureted gasoline youth, but a couple years ago bought a brand new Carter and a cheaper online mechanical pump for my PSD (yes the OBS PSDs have mechanical pumps buried right below the fuel bowls), and when I pulled them both out of the box I saw nothing that convinced me that the Carter was better. The parts inside may indeed be different, but the old Carter's had their logo in the cast part of the pump and this one did not. I installed the Carter anyways (I am brand loyal to a fault) but I'm only hopeful that their standards are still where they used to be even if they aren't casting their own dedicated bodies any more.

Good luck no matter which way you go. WMO is quite satisfying when diesel is over $5/gallon.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yup I have given up on the mech pump years ago now. I, like many of us; am a fan of all mechanical but the quality and lack of other manufacture options for the mech lift pumps forced to me electric. Which I have now figured out a system that works great for me and is reliable.

That being said, If someone would come up with a GOOD quality aftermarket mech lift pump, I think there would be a decent market for them in the IDI world.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's American
We need a stickie in the tech 101 pages.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going through the same issue you are right now although I don't use WMO.
It sounds like we've explored similar options.
I just received:

Delphi Automotive Fuel Pump - MF0050​

Certainly China made and half of the sites list it for Diesel and the others show it as a Gas application. I decided to try this unit since most of the online documentation show it rated for 7psi opposed to the 4psi many of the other pumps listed. We'll see.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's their reply:
Good Morning,

After doing research on this product Its hard to say where it was exactly manufactured. There are lots of facilities in the US, Canada, along with some overseas. This is a genuine OE Ford part. Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Thank You
Ariana

That sounds a lot like "Hecho en China," but maybe with some quality control?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Juuuuust to be "that guy" ask him to verify thru his vendor, country of origin.... SOMEWHERE someone has to pay customs... If it was AMERICAN they would be standing on that soapbox.... or have the stones to say "we have oem quality standards for the yellow man!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In my usage they have been better