New here, got a 1988 F250 IDI

88bigblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thought I would stop in and say hi. I bought my truck awhile back and have been recently lookin into turning up the boost on it. Its got the Banks Sidewinder kit at 8.5psi that made 152whp/442wtq. What must I do to to safely achieve 15psi? I was told by a friend on idaho turbo diesels that this was the place to get my questions answered.

Some pics of the truck just for giggles.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
Welcome! :D sweet looking truck you got there.

in regards to your question about the boost, IIRC its been said that 15psi is pushing these motors, and its recommened that you have headstuds installed if your going that high.(If im wrong someone please correct me) but like i said if this is incorrect someone will chime in soon

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
need more fuel for more boost.
I wouldn't worry about headstuds if your goal is >15psi

seems strange that your truck has so much torque for the hp indicated. What kinda dyno testing have you done?

88bigblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words.
I think it was a mustang dyno. i got it done when i first got the truck at a shop in town called Performance Solutions.
You think i could run 15 psi without headstuds? and my other concern was cooling, would i need to throw an intercooler kit on it? As for the fuel I am considering gettin the Turbo Calibrated pump from DPS as well as IDI turbo injectors, I believe they are code "G".
Im not sure what IIRC means...

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words.
I think it was a mustang dyno. i got it done when i first got the truck at a shop in town called Performance Solutions.
You think i could run 15 psi without headstuds? and my other concern was cooling, would i need to throw an intercooler kit on it? As for the fuel I am considering gettin the Turbo Calibrated pump from DPS as well as IDI turbo injectors, I believe they are code "G".
Im not sure what IIRC means...

IIRC means If I remember correctly, and before you purchase the DPS pump check out the Hall of Shame

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
10-12psi is the upper safe limit and even then you're pushing it. If you want to go higher safely, stud the heads. X2 on the truck, she's a looker.

The thing about going higher on the boost with that particular turbo is that she starts heating the air up something fierce, without an intercooler you'll lose more than you gain. The system was designed with the high compression ratio that the IDI has, so it was not meant to boost real high. The turbo gets pushed out of its sweet spot and makes the egt's go up. Not a good thing unless you feel like melting the old girl down.

Take a look at the stickies, and use that as a primer about the do's and don'ts when boosting these things on a stock longblock. A lot of the people that participate here have been there, done that and have the broken parts to prove it. Can spare you a lot of expensive mistakes.

1. These engines are great if you don't try to make them run like a PSD.

2. They are limited fuel wise in stock configuration. There are things that can be done to
improve the fuelling and the timing; Agnem has a pump program that makes these
engines run a lot better.

3. To really go big on the power will require a full on build, a lot of custom parts. Since
there isn't a lot of support for these engines, ya gotta do whatya gotta do.

The safe way to put large boost into this engine is to decompress the motor, maybe alter the cam timing since it goes hand in hand.

If you need to know anything, don't hesitate to ask, that's what we are here for.

88bigblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that a lower compression could be achieved by using the pistons and rods out of a 6.9l, supposedly down to like a 9.5:1. That with more fuel, studs, and an intercooler should be fine, shouldnt it?
Also what about running a bigger turbo? If the Banks turbo will not be sufficient.
Im not lookin to blow the motor on this truck, it is my daily driver.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
6.9 pistons wont fit they will be way under size. and the rods should be the same. you can get some shaved off the pistons to drop the compression. Someone might make an aftermarket set im not sure.

Id stay away from DPS from all i have read on here, and I wouldnt waste time on G code injectors anyway. A few members on here sell BB codes matched. Or some fancy moose misters.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
who ever told you that about the 6.9 parts was wrong and had no concept of how these engines work.

Why lower the compression if your goal is only 15psi? There isn't any need.
I have Mel's (Agnem) pump. With it, 15psi air pressure should be easily obtainable.
I only run in the 10psi neighborhood due to my laziness in getting an intercooler installed. I can and often do have the boost go higher, but I don't find anymore power there as the intake charge is no doubt much hotter than it should be.

I have nothing but praise for Mel's pump. It is not only higher performance, it aids economy and is generally of higher quality manufacture than any other pump out there.
He is selling injectors now, I havn't gotten around to buying them yet, but as soon as I get the chance they will also be in my truck as I have no doubts on thier quality.

Drew

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
There are lower compression pistons out there, but because of the indirect injection if you go too low, she will have problems starting. Lower compression is like 18 to 1, versus the over 20 to 1 that is stock. The glow plug system has to be modded to keep them on longer during that first start of the day with the lower compression. But for what you want to do, it would be overkill right now. If she's running good, there's no need to go through those dramatics unless you want to.

Going to a larger turbo (the Banks and others are probably sized for 260-275hp), upgrading the pump to Agnem's Moose Pump and higher flow injectors, studs and an intercooler will make her run out nice. Getting the truck tuned right is really the important thing.

Stay away from DPS like the plague.

Switch your anti freeze over to the Evans Coolant. No SCAs to deal with, and it helps keep the motor thermally stable. Helps keep the headgaskets where they belong.

Last edited:

88bigblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like what I want then. An intercooler is also a must for what i want. What size intercooler would you recommend? I am toying with getting the ATS kit but its so damn expensive.
How would one go about tuning these trucks? sorry im a noob to the diesels.

With the Evans coolant would i have to flush the cooling system?

Last edited:

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Maybe we need to find some IDI people out your way, not everyone knows how to get them to run right. I think Mel made his own aftercooler system for his truck, you don't have to go with the ATS. There are deals on used equipment out there. But just like a gasser, a chassis dyno is the best way to go.

88bigblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a shop out in my area, Big Twin diesel. Iam not sure how much they know about IDI's. I might have them do the work when it comes to that time because I dont know enough about it to trust myself.
They also have access to a dyno so that will help.