New here, got a 1988 F250 IDI

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
The 6.9 and 7.3 are almost the same motor...the only differences that I know of are the valvetrain geometry, the cylinder liner bore (which is why the 6.9 pistons won't drop into a 7.3 block) and the 7/16th's head bolts in the 6.9 versus the 1/2 inch bolts in the 7.3.

The idea has been tossed around to sleve a 7.3 block down to a 6.9 which gets rid of the block worm problem, and allows you to run the bigger 1/2 inch bolts or studs and run a little higher boost. However, an intercooler will help a lot in cooling that charged air. Cold dense air is what you want to build power. The more fuel you put into the cylinder means more boost....and higher EGT's.

Do you have a pyro gauge installed? 1200* is about the max you want to push it, anymore and you risk melting holes in things that shouldn't have holes in them....like pistons..

15 PSI is a lot in these things...it can be done, but it has to be done right with the right timing, studs, pump, injectors etc.

As someone said earlier, read the stickies and ask if you are unsure of anything....I ask questions on here ALLL the time...in fact I am about to ask another one in a new post.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Money is usually an issue so most go with a good used powerstroke intercooler that can be found in the $100-$150 range. I've heard of people using up to 2001 intercoolers so I'm pretty sure they are good up to 2003 with the 7.3. Just saw that another member installed a 6.0 intercooler successfully but Typ4 mentions in an earlier post that a 6.0 intercooler is a little large. Good pics on the link below.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30880&highlight=intercooler

88bigblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what wheels are those?

Im not quite sure, I dont think it says on them but will look. Hopefully soon i will get new ones, I want MT sidebiters. If that happens the current wheels will be up for sale for cheap.

Yes I do have a pyro installed, and right now at idle it reads just above 340, at 2300 rpm with 6psi its just above 600. Are these relatively normal numbers?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
if you have installed your probe pre turbo, it looks like you have some room to play with your pump and gain some boost. But you need an intercooler to cool down the charged air.

88bigblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not sure where the sender is installed, It was done by the previous owner. I need to follow the wires and find out. will do tomorrow.

As far as mods, its got the banks sidewinder kit. which includes an intake and 3 inch turbo back exhaust. Besides that the pump is turned up. nothing else that I know of.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Hey, you made it over here too. ITD is fun for get togethers and such but us IDI guys are a rare breed in there which makes getting help a crapshoot. I come here for all my technical questions/problems etc. The guys in here are awesome, you'll get lots of help when you need it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
First off welcome here. Now getting 15 lbs is easy but not a really good idea. My motor will do it no problem but its been built for it. Really nothing stock about my build. Any boost over 12 lbs is going to be in the 300 degree range. That kills hp gained with more boost. An intercooler will allow 15 lbs easily. About pumps..... There is only one builder and thats the Moose Pump from Mel Agne. I have used 2 of them and they are better than ***....:rotflmao Mel also has the Moose Mister injectors. They are new and not much track record yet. They look like they are great and I would use them in a second if only I had more money.... That will come to me soon. Anyway don't run the G code injectors. I have been running them and they really don't do much. They were designed for the 94 turbo idi when it needed to be better on the emmissions so think about a cleaner burning injector that fits the EPA wishes. I just today installed a set of BB code injectors. Tomorrow they will be tested hard....:sly For hp run the Moose pump and if you can't afford the moose misters just run the BB injectors. You will get more help here than you ask for. Its just how it is here. Everybody trys to keep the money in your pocket and out of the stealerships pockets.

88bigblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off welcome here. Now getting 15 lbs is easy but not a really good idea. My motor will do it no problem but its been built for it. Really nothing stock about my build. Any boost over 12 lbs is going to be in the 300 degree range. That kills hp gained with more boost. An intercooler will allow 15 lbs easily. About pumps..... There is only one builder and thats the Moose Pump from Mel Agne. I have used 2 of them and they are better than ***....:rotflmao Mel also has the Moose Mister injectors. They are new and not much track record yet. They look like they are great and I would use them in a second if only I had more money.... That will come to me soon. Anyway don't run the G code injectors. I have been running them and they really don't do much. They were designed for the 94 turbo idi when it needed to be better on the emmissions so think about a cleaner burning injector that fits the EPA wishes. I just today installed a set of BB code injectors. Tomorrow they will be tested hard....:sly For hp run the Moose pump and if you can't afford the moose misters just run the BB injectors. You will get more help here than you ask for. Its just how it is here. Everybody trys to keep the money in your pocket and out of the stealerships pockets.

So would I be able to get 15psi with an intercooler and studs? Or should i go further into it?

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When an intercooler is installed your boost will drop a little but your intake air will be cooler and denser which means better power. Drag racers try to run their cars as little as possible to keep temps down for that very reason. Some racers even pack ice on their engines between rounds.
For most studs and intercooler will be adequate for power gains and 12-13 lbs of boost would be even better for engine longevity. If you have very deep pockets then build an engine with lower compression pistons. I'd recommend building a late 6.9 block because of the thicker cylinder walls should you take that route.

88bigblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, im not lookin at swappin a motor. If the current one comes out a 5.9 12v will replace it. So I guess i will do what I can to make it work.

With 12-13 psi what kind of power/torque would I be lookin at based on my current numbers?

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I think Darrin Tosh ran some numbers on his truck before he did the Cummins swap. On fuel, 183hp/325 torque at the wheels. Don't know the boost level. But dynos vary and the ambient temp is going to affect the output.
Your truck may do better, but too many things depend on that. These engines are not hot rod motors. What do you want the truck to do?

88bigblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont really know what to expect. like you said the motors are hot rods, so whatever she makes at boost will be fine by me.

Considering mine made 152/442 on the current setup i would hope for 260ish HP/510ish TQ

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
If your pyro is in the exhaust manifolds or in the up pipe into the turbo then you have a bad pyro, if it is after the turbo then I dont know what numbers to look for. I had a pyro that read similar numbers to yours and found out that it was the pyrometer sensor itself that was bad. Swapped in another one and now I see why my motor runs like crap.... I think the black smoke from orlando florida to portland oregon may have done some permanent damage to the internals, and now I am going to swap it out, tear it down, and see what happened.

punk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online