1988 f250 extended cab.

turbo_h8er

Reaction score
Hello!
Shannon's the name.
Got a free-ish truck.
Rebuilt the entire front end, diagnosed a misfire, replaced the distributor, and repaired a leaking wheel cylinder on a 94 s10 pickup. Cool.
Me and the old guy got to talking when it came time to pay the labor ~450ish.
It caught my eye.
It lured me over for a look
It was calling my name.
1988 f350. 7.3 idi, 4x4, 5speed, extended cab long bed.
Oh sweet mama....
I asked him how long it's been sitting there and he tells me since his dad died in 2017.
Cool.
He asked me if I was interested,and I was but before I said anything I went and did some rooting around.
Engine spins 360 degrees? NOPE!
Oil is free of visible water? Check.
Does it have any form of coolant in it that dosent look like mud?check.
Hes digging up the title for it. I'm going back Sunday to see if I can get it to bust off and run with a slight amount of tlc.
No rust. But the truck is green from sitting there.
He said the only issue was that it would need a little spurt of ether to wake it up in the mornings. It wouldn't need it the rest of the day.
Hmm. Probably either return lines or glowplugs and glowplug controller... no biggie.
I feel like it's a pretty good deal. I could get my labor costs back out of it running or not running.
Its not a chevy like ive always owned , but like my gmt-400 (c2500 gasser) the late 80s idi ford is another dream truck of sorts. Especially with the 5 speed and 4x4....

Now. What would be the best way to unstick this Ole gal? What should I pour in the cylinders once I remove the glowplugs? Mystery oil? Rotella 15-40? Pb blaster?

I have a Baldwin fuel filter just until I get it running, 8 motorcraft/beru zd9 glowplugs, and a delphi return line kit for now.

Any advice at all is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20230301_142652.jpg
    20230301_142652.jpg
    698.5 KB · Views: 4

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had pretty good luck with brake fluid in old tractors, the pb blaster should work, diesel. I don't think I would bother with the motor oil, it doesn't have any kind of penetrating properties.

James

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pb seems kinda weak, but beats wd...
Acetone and atf, diesel, first in line.
How stuck?
3rd gear bump?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
put it in 3rd and bounce it off the stops back and forth now if the cowl gasket is toast all bets are off
water goes onto the air cleaner and accesses the infamous and aptly named "soup bowl" gettit? bowl of water

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online