New Haul and Tow RV transporter build

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tonka-
not to be a wiseguy, but the tubing and spacing of the tubing seems to be a little light for car duty. irregardless, do get the car transporter decking so you can use the wheel retaining tie-downs rather than the chain style tie downs.;Sweet

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tonka-
not to be a wiseguy, but the tubing and spacing of the tubing seems to be a little light for car duty. irregardless, do get the car transporter decking so you can use the wheel retaining tie-downs rather than the chain style tie downs.;Sweet

Oh no, I ain't chaining cars. I'm going to stick to my flatbed style side rail tie downs and tire bonnets with 24" chain tails on the ratchets. I really like these. Nothing budges with these bonnets and they never come loose. I do have a set of 4 lasso straps too but I ain't too fond of them.

Spacing is OK, the wedge 3 car trailers have 24" - 30" centers. I'm at 24"

The tube is a bit light at 1-1/2" x 3/16" wall square tube. 3" 4.1 lb channel would be ideal like I run in the back but I want my upper deck at 39" with a 9" step instead of a 40-1/2" deck with a 10-1/2" step. I am gusseting the bottom of all of the square tube crossmembers with 1-1/2" x 1/4" wall angle.

Didn't get the gussets cut or tacked in today with my chop saw crapping out.

Remember too that the angle iron end cap as well as the flat bar rub rail add strength to the side to keep it from flexing too and the air ride suspension doesn't pound the bed like a spring ride truck will.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a pretty neat truck!!

Thank you. She's one of a kind...... Almost.

There are 5 built similar. This one is the only one originating as a full blown class 8 road tractor. 3 are medium duties and one is an FL112 (medium duty extended cab on a class 8 chassis)

1st one was built by a Canadian, I borrowed his idea and built #2 (my wrecked F800) and #5 (this truck) my boss had a poor copy made (that truck leaves a lot to be desired) and my buddy built the FL112 which is very close to mine bed wise.

Mines the biggest, baddest and best looking truck of the bunch.:D

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those are fine for trailer work and large wheel clearance stuff. you will be seriously entertained with those on close fitting macpherson strut cars.

Seems like about anything I do lately is entertaining:frustrate, why should this be any different.

There's less room than you think on these new campers especially the tire sidwall to fenderwell and fender clearances. My '06 Jetta has more room to work than most trailers I move. These baskets actually slip over the top of the tires pretty easy and are adjustable in size. I have the lassos as backup.

The backhauls I am looking for is the stuff big car carriers like Scotts can't move. Duallies, cab & chassis trucks, spinter vans etc... Stuff that pays a better than your average Ford Contour.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like about anything I do lately is entertaining:frustrate, why should this be any different.

There's less room than you think on these new campers especially the tire sidwall to fenderwell and fender clearances. My '06 Jetta has more room to work than most trailers I move. These baskets actually slip over the top of the tires pretty easy and are adjustable in size. I have the lassos as backup.

The backhauls I am looking for is the stuff big car carriers like Scotts can't move. Duallies, cab & chassis trucks, spinter vans etc... Stuff that pays a better than your average Ford Contour.
ron/DDC would consider you to be God if you ever take some of these rolling bodyshells off my hands and bring them out to his neck of rusty hell.:D

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, only 5 out there. I saw one of them, I'm not real familiar with big trucks but I guess it was the FL112. Heading south on I-65 in Kentucky, I know its a pretty common corridor for the RV haulers going south from Indiana.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, only 5 out there. I saw one of them, I'm not real familiar with big trucks but I guess it was the FL112. Heading south on I-65 in Kentucky, I know its a pretty common corridor for the RV haulers going south from Indiana.

There are a probably a couple hunded haul and tow trucks but only 5 with the deep stepped down bed like this. Rest all have dovetail flat beds. We're the only ones that can haul an 11' tall trailer on top of the truck and be under the max legal 13'6".

If the one you saw was a black FL112 extended cab with the step bed like mine that had a 15 passenger van on top and dragging an old travel trailer would be my buddy. He went down to SC last week. His was the 3rd one built.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ron/DDC would consider you to be God if you ever take some of these rolling bodyshells off my hands and bring them out to his neck of rusty hell.:D

I'd need a police ******. A rust free Cali body:love: is worth it's weight in gold in the rust belt.

This could be arranged. It's the kind of work this truck is perfect for.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd need a police ******. A rust free Cali body:love: is worth it's weight in gold in the rust belt.

This could be arranged. It's the kind of work this truck is perfect for.
you got no idea how many midwesterners are hoping you will do this.
problem is, now I have to start storing sheetmetal rather than killing the trucks.:eek:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously, while the availability of parts is always greatly appreciated, this will be a very good thing for the community as a whole ;Sweet and anything to help keep these trucks on the road longer is always a great advantage :thumbsup:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7