New Haul and Tow RV transporter build

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so how is the mile marked winch holding up? i assume it is ok, just curious since there can be a lot of "go warn or go home" in the jeep crowd.

Mines an Si9500 and I'm happy with it. I quite frankly don't care what the Jeep crowd thinks, they're a goofy bunch anyways.:angel:

It's the same winch I bought used and had on the Ford. I've been abusing it and it's been exposed to the elements, for a year and a half now in everything from 100F+ desert heat to -40F. It's been through blizzards and plenty of salt spray and was beat to death on the very rough riding spring ride Ford F800.

I see a lot of Pierce winches on the haul and tow trucks. My Milemarker has a lot faster line speed than the pierce winches and probably a lot faster than what Towcat uses. His winch is probably rated for double the pull mine is too.

Fast line speed isn't good for all applications but it's fine for what I do.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The right side of the deck is completely done. Finished adding the inner brace to the deck plate, installed a 3" tall tire stop at the front of the deck and installed a mount to hook the 5' ramps to be able to drive onto the upper deck.

I also finished welding up the framework for the left side of the bed so I can gusset it and start decking it tomorrow.

You must be registered for see images attach

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not much to show. All of the deck plate is in place, I have only about 30 more feet of weld bead to run on the deck plate and it's finished and then a couple small detail parts to weld on and she's ready for paint and final assembly. She'll be red tomorrow and ready to start making money again in a couple days.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
hope you didn't cut the fit the parts with that chassis flex going on.Might have issues when you get the truck on flat level ground.Other than that looks great.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hope you didn't cut the fit the parts with that chassis flex going on.Might have issues when you get the truck on flat level ground.Other than that looks great.

No, I just have to pull the truck out to get pics and put tools away. All fab work is done with the truck level.

It's just too hard to get through a 10' door with only 8" on each side of the truck left over to squeeze through trying to put up the welder and chop saw.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh it's a wonderful day. All metal fabrication is DONE!!!!!!! Cut my supply of flux core wire just a weeeeeee bit short. My 22 lb supply of wire finished everything on the entire rebuild exept the last 7' of bead on the deck plate so I pulled out the TIG torch and finished it off vs lose 2 hrs running into town for more wire.

Operational test was a resounding success, had no problem loading my dually on the truck. My dually tips the scales at 8500 lbs as she sits with an empty aux fuel tank.

Finished out the aftrnoon slapping a little safety red rustoleum on her.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks TC, SLE

SLE, if you poke yer head in my shop I'll gladly put ya to work :smash::backoff, just ask GEO:angel:

Speaking of George, how ya doin down in Cajun country.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Mike, Nice job! I was just wondering how it rides when loaded? Does it make a difference with the weight of a trailer that far behind the axle?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike, Nice job! I was just wondering how it rides when loaded? Does it make a difference with the weight of a trailer that far behind the axle?

Self leveling air ride rides about the same loaded and empty. Trailer weight is carried right behind the tires not at the back of the truck exept when they are getting stupid like the last pic which put me overlength and they didn't want to pay for permits so I unloaded them.

Rarely have a trailer that weighs more than 4500 lbs on 32,000 lb GVW truck.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks great!! ;Sweet Is there anything left other than putting the lights back in?

Shame I'm on the opposite coast...I'd love to offer a hand/play gopher/maybe learn a little bit...

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great!! ;Sweet Is there anything left other than putting the lights back in?

Shame I'm on the opposite coast...I'd love to offer a hand/play gopher/maybe learn a little bit...

Thank you.

Pretty much just lights, reflexive tape, mudflaps, quarter fenders, modify a little bit of light wiring, touch up some paint, make a new center channel ramp & a heavy duty tongue wheel, make 4 more ratchets with 24" chain tails, add a few D-rings and pack it out is the plan for today.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, we're back on the road making money. I finished de leasing from one company and leased onto another that offered me a compensation package I would have been stupid not to take.

How about a 20FS Heartland North Country and a 22FB Heartland North Country headed for Saskatchewan. These trailers are 11'2" tall and I am 1 out of 2 trucks operational in the US that can load this tall of a trailer and be under the 13' 6" max legal height.

The pickup truck operators here quickly realized I could compete with them :eek: as well as the haul and tows when I loaded these big trailers. Had quite the crowd watching me load these.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online