Forgot one pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0832.jpg
    IMG_0832.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 37

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
If you did this job yourself, I don't mean to offend you. It will do the job, I don't seel any soot leaking, so it might just be fine.

BUT....if you paid someone to do that job, I hope you didn't pay more than $20.

I am by FAR a professional welder, but I have done exhaust work with my little flux core welder. I can tell by the welds, yours was done with a wire feed flux core or a SMALL stick.

The welds don't look to have any penetration and will most likely crack.

As I said, I am by no means a pro welder, but I have built several exhaust systems from scratch pipes, and elbows I bought.

This is the system I just threw together on my truck to get it past inspection. I am going to build my own 3.5" exhaust to exit in the factory location on the new crew cab and I will gladly show you what I will do for each joint and section.

You must be registered for see images attach

As you can see, the welds are smooth and lay flat....that means the weld was hot enough to get a good bite into teh pipe and will prevent ay crasks from vibration and potholes.

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I am a welder and I really hope you didn't pay for that. I agree with goof the weld really didn't penetrate. If you did it yourself its not a bad attempt but if you need some pointers I can give you some

Trex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No,I paid someone to do it,,,, i woulnt admit to it even if i did do it!! Thats my story and i'am sticking to it :dunno I to think it's a bum job. I guess it just goe's to show us that if you want something done right you have to do it yourself :***:

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Exactly!! If someone wanted a quick fix like that, I usually just charge a $20 case of beer.....I mean a roll of wire costs me $25 and I can fix a LOT of exhaust systems for $25.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
well I am a welder and I really hope you didn't pay for that. I agree with goof the weld really didn't penetrate. If you did it yourself its not a bad attempt but if you need some pointers I can give you some

I'll take some, I can't get that flux core welding down worth a damn. I will say this, my welds look better than that.

No,I paid someone to do it,,,, i woulnt admit to it even if i did do it!! Thats my story and i'am sticking to it :dunno I to think it's a bum job. I guess it just goe's to show us that if you want something done right you have to do it yourself :***:

Holy hell, go back and stomp a mudhole in someone's rear.....

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I can do a better job with a oxy torch and some coat hangers :D

:rotflmao You got an awsome sense of humor!!!! I thought of that earlier dut I didn't say anything. I didn't know if the owner made an attempt and was proud of it and I didn't want to offend him.

But seriously....if you bought a $100 - $200 dollar flux core welder you would be surprised how easy it is to weld exhaust pipe...ESPECIALLY if it has an overlapping sleeve like yours does.

Point the nozzle at the center of the joint, squeeze the trugger and move SLOWLY but steadily...it's not a hard thing to do...and think of the money you would save on a repair shop welding up your exhaust!!!!

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
:rotflmao You got an awsome sense of humor!!!! I thought of that earlier dut I didn't say anything. I didn't know if the owner made an attempt and was proud of it and I didn't want to offend him.

But seriously....if you bought a $100 - $200 dollar flux core welder you would be surprised how easy it is to weld exhaust pipe...ESPECIALLY if it has an overlapping sleeve like yours does.

Point the nozzle at the center of the joint, squeeze the trugger and move SLOWLY but steadily...it's not a hard thing to do...and think of the money you would save on a repair shop welding up your exhaust!!!!

My humor usually gets me slapped. I have a cheapo harbor freight electric 240V 110 amp flux/mig that i bought years ago for 150 bucks. I can't tell you how much wire i have ran though the thing. I have a nice miller also but the harbor frieght one was my starting unit. I can run it off of my little genset if i need if we're off playing somewhere and i gotta fix a driveshaft.... Mig is very easy to use, flux is just a pain because of the spatter but it cleans off ;Sweet

Maybe i need to snap some pics of my straight pipped exhaust showing off my cheapo harbor frieght welder.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I got the Canuck version of a Harbour Freight welder....Princess Auto lol. I bought it for $128 on sale and man, I bet I ran a mile of wire through it. Never let me down yet. I do bodywork with it. The trick is to take a little cooking oil and put it on EVERYTHING within 3 feet that you don't want spatter and flus residue on..but keep your welding area clean. The just brake slean and wipe the oil off when you are done....no spatter on paint!!!

Trex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'am really not happy with it, was trying to help someone out that need'ed some work,,, *** do you do? :dunno Next time i'll do it myself. Cant be any worse than that!!! :rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao