New exhaust system????

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The way I put my exhaust together is teh way they do it on big trucks, and I much prefer it to welding , even though I worked in a muffler shop at one time many moons ago and have welded more than my fair share of exhaust pipes. I used the big truck pre formed large flat band clamps instead of the ubolt clamps on my 4" system. With the big flat band clamps they do not distort the pipe and you can easily separate the sections of pipe at a later time if you need to take it apart to work on something. I don't like having an exhaust system welded up to where you have to cut something apart to get a clutch out and then have to weld it back up cookoo

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
My exhaust is welded and I can pull everything but the motor, but I do see your point.

As far as the exhaust welding, your migpack 140 should be MORE than enough welder to weld up exhaust pipe.

I use flux core, with a setting of "B" and a wire speed of about 4 or 5. This will change based on material, thickness and butt joints, slip joints, etc.

For gas and solid mild steel wire, with an argon based gas will be sufficient. We used something called "autoweld" or something like that wt work.....AWSOME stuff!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you are going to do exhaust where you might have to join to old material, it's best to use flux core. I'ts far more forgiving of rusty material. You can just hog right in and it will make a solid joint where a gas wire will not join properly without getting the material cleaned down to base metal first. the flux core will penetrate deeper with a lighter output machine as well for folks with a light duty welder trying to do heavy wall pipe. That said, I still prefer the band clamps.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I might be looking into these band clamps for the crew cab truck. We use them at work ALL the time and they are nice...all stainless. A 9/16" wrench and 3/8" ratchet and socket will put them on/take them off on the side of the road.....try THAT with a bolt style pinch clamp!!!

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
the only clamps i use are band clamps. they make them all the way down to 2.5 inches. so it is all good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online