New exhaust system????

Trex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Come to thimk about it, how come were welding theswe exhaust systems now day's? Years ago all we did was clamp them,is welding them that much better?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I just weld them because I kow that they will be sealed, leak free and together for as long as the pipe lasts...I just don't want to spend the extra $40 and time of clamping. I like the thought of the pipe being solid an one piece!! lol

There is nothing wrong with clamps, but you might have a little more of a chance of a leak. But either way is just fine!!!

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I like welding because it is much cheaper for me since I have a welder. I actually clamped the exhaust on my DD 4runner because the kit came with the clamps. I suppose its just personal preference.

PZ

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I like welding because it is much cheaper for me since I have a welder. I actually clamped the exhaust on my DD 4runner because the kit came with the clamps. I suppose its just personal preference.

PZ

Some clamps i like, like the new ford band clamps.

I dont like the look of tradiational crush clamps.

I have some ROL flat band clamps on my exzhaust system just to make seperation and service eaiser. There are two actually everything else is welded.

Apple iPhone keyboard sucks.

Btw, my Harbor freight welder was actually made in Italy not China. Pretty damn decent unit.

edit: remember if you want it done right do it yourself.

Last edited:

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Welding pipe is better than clamping it IMO. Usually have to cut the clamps off cause they are rust-welded on. Then have to hit the crap out of the pipes to make them slide apart. Welding is easier and just use a sawsall to cut it. They you just weld a new piece in and call it good. Plus looks cleaner.

Trex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the first pic,,, he told me that he could not find any place that had the crossover pipes, had to have them special made, then pieced them togeather. OK I'll get rid of the Fram Filter :dunno Alot of you fellows really hate the frams,,what is a good filter and what number?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come to thimk about it, how come were welding theswe exhaust systems now day's? Years ago all we did was clamp them,is welding them that much better?

up here in rusty Maine,clamps are all thats needed.
heck we could probably run the clamps for 1 month,remove them to take them back and get a refund.
the pipes rust together solid and never leak lmao.:rotflmao

i do wish that comment was more joke than serious,but it's not haha.

Trex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess i just come old school,,,, I'll have to catch up with the new way's!!!! :cheers:

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Ive found that those u-bolt type clamps make a groove in the pipe and it is next to impossible to separate them.

Anyways as someone who needs new exhaust and has a small welder, I would like some advise.

I have a Lincoln MIG 140 (110v). whats the best setup to use to weld pipe? Gas? (yes no. if yes what mix). wire? (flux/solid)

thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online