New engine, no oil pressure please help

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the first I've used this machine shop before, is the highest recommended shop in the area and when I built my engine i used a different shop and wasn't happy with their work, so we went to this one since its the shop everybody says does the best work

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah i get is to pull the valley pan, but looking in the valley where wound you see the oil? Just at the lifters?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah i get is to pull the valley pan, but looking in the valley where wound you see the oil? Just at the lifters?
That would let you see both ends of the pushrods. I don’t remember how far down you’ll be able to see. Might be able to see the squirters and parts of the cam if you pull the spider out.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you look at the lifters?
Never tore it down that far yet. Just bought another truck. and while possible, I find it hard to believe all the lifters are bad or plugged. In all my years of building engines, probably at least 500 or more, dad had an auto machine shop, and I had my own repair shop too it was something never ran into. Being the lifter galleys also feed the spray tube suppose one of them could of broke or came loose too. Will find out one of these days when tear it down.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I’d look at a blockage. @Dieselcrawler went through this recently. Had an engine that wouldn’t build pressure, and just a trickle to the top. It was an obstruction due a blocked oil passage in the bottom end.

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like theres 2 oil galley plugs under timing cover just above cam, does anybody know whether those are press in plugs or threaded?
I cant see any threads in the holes

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the front under the timing cover they are not threaded. Under the flywheel they are, but those would be leaking externally.
You must be registered for see images attach

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know what size plug they need to be?

The ones under the flywheel are in there, i put those in, i didnt realize the plugs in the front were there though, the machine shop that did the work on my engine either never took em out or they put em back before i got the block back

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If these plugs aren't there, and you do have to replace them, I have a couple of things for you to know. First, don't install them very deep. Installing them too deep will partially or completely block the oil passages behind them. In Wes's picture, you can see that the plugs are installed just barely past flush. Also in Wes's picture, see those "chisel" marks? Those are from the factory. They've been on every IDI that I've seen which is a lot. I believe that the plugs may not be a really tight fit in the holes. I also believe that these marks are to "ding" the outside of the holes to hold the plugs in so that they can't be pushed out by the oil pressure. In the shop that I used to work at, we would remove these plugs and tap the holes to 1/4" NPT (again not very deep) and then install screw in plugs when putting the block back together. We had one "recovered drunk" working as an "engine builder" for a short time who forgot to put these plugs back in and it was almost exactly as you describe yours. I'd definitely check to make sure that they are installed.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever since talking with jeremy about this plugs Ive tapped them as well. You obviously dont want to do that without disassembling the engine more, if they are gone I can talk to my machinist and get you the specs for the plugs, I dont recall them off hand

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They werent there, we got new ones from the machine shop today, they were definitely a tight fit, good to know on not running them in too deep, they pretty much stopped at flush and wouldnt go further

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the plugs in, fired her up, got to a nice 50psi on cold idle then suddenly dropped clear down to 10 psi....

This truck hates me...

If one of those plugs pushed out we'd back to zero right?

Maybe now the pressure regulation valve is pitching a fit?

Last edited:

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever since talking with jeremy about this plugs Ive tapped them as well. You obviously dont want to do that without disassembling the engine more, if they are gone I can talk to my machinist and get you the specs for the plugs, I dont recall them off hand

What size tap do you use for that?

Black dawg

Reaction score
If the regulator valve was functioning smooth, I would bet 1 of the plugs came out. Who did the machine work? pm if you want to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online