New engine, no oil pressure please help

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wes, What would cause an issue like this in an engine that has not been work on and was running? I have an 89 7.3 that bought used was running fine then went to missing, pushrod when through rocker. Replaced the pushrods and rockers, but very little oil was going to the top end. Had oil pressure about 40 if remember right. Quite driving it, would like to pull it and fix the engine one of these days. But still interested in the cause.

Don't mean to highjack thread, kind of same problem, just don't want to rebuild and still problem.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wes, What would cause an issue like this in an engine that has not been work on and was running? I have an 89 7.3 that bought used was running fine then went to missing, pushrod when through rocker. Replaced the pushrods and rockers, but very little oil was going to the top end. Had oil pressure about 40 if remember right. Quite driving it, would like to pull it and fix the engine one of these days. But still interested in the cause.

Don't mean to highjack thread, kind of same problem, just don't want to rebuild and still problem.
@pafixitman

He had a pushrod go through the valve cover. Not sure if he was able to post mortum it.

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well got it all back together with the oil pump bolts actually tight this time and it just barely trickles oil out of the factory sensor port so im at a loss

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Did you look at the lifters?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well got it all back together with the oil pump bolts actually tight this time and it just barely trickles oil out of the factory sensor port so im at a loss
Did you pull the pump off to make sure it was damaged from running loose? I’ve never had that happen so I can’t say if it would damage the pump or not.

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this engine before we tore it down for the rebuild was running in a truck and had a mechanical oil pressure gauge plumbed to the factory sender port just like we are trying to do and it read 40 psi cruising down the road at normal op temp.

So it has to be something that happened during the rebuild right?

The engine shop pulled the oil galley plugs on the back of the block and we put those back, are there maybe other oil gallery plugs that the shop couldve pulled that we missed?
Or just somehow a blockage in the oil galley somewhere? If so how do we check for/clear said blockage?

Also, all oil squirters were in their proper place when we pulled the pan, nothing seemed to be out of place other than the loose oil pump bolts

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran the pump with pickup tube attached in a bucket of oil by hand and it pumped oil, even pumped air back into the bucket when i ran it backwards

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After machining did you brush and blow out all the passages? I would be pulling the pump, valve covers and intake manifold off to watch where oil is getting next.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never used your machinist so I can’t say for sure, but I like to use a engine brush kit to clean my engines before assembling after machining. Some machinists take the time to clean the block before wrapping it up, some let the customer do the prep work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online