New engine, no oil pressure please help

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a 1/4” npt tap. I’ve never had this issue so I couldn’t say exactly what would happen if only one popped out, but I would assume you wouldn’t have any oil pressure at all. Did you install the cups with anything? Did you ping the ridge to hold them in?

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the regulator valve was functioning smooth, I would bet 1 of the plugs came out. Who did the machine work? pm if you want to.

We are thinking that one of them popped out, so we are back to tear down

Jerry's custom engine did the machine work

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet that’s your issue. Super clean the surface, install with red loctite and ping the ridge and you should be fine.

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet that’s your issue. Super clean the surface, install with red loctite and ping the ridge and you should be fine.

I was kind of thinking about trying to tap them and putting a pipe plug in with some red loctite

One plug did in fact come out, thankfully we found it in tact so it didnt get chewed up in the engine, we didnt put loctite on either one, but would just pinging the edge of the hole for the one thats still in be enough to keep it in there? Or do we need to find a way to pull it back out and get some loctite on it?

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are installed dry and with only the pinging from the factory so you should be fine with just that. I wouldn’t tap it without disassembling the engine to catch the shavings.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I wouldn’t tap it without disassembling the engine to catch the shavings.
EXACTLY! You just beat me to it. This is why we'd do it before the block went to the machine shop. Remember if you do try this, only go in 4 or 5 threads on the tap at the most so you don't block off the oil passages behind the plugs. We would use a thread sealer on the plugs to help keep them from coming out (4 or 5 threads isn't much holding power). I suppose red Loctite would do the trick too. If there happened to be a small amount of seepage, it would just go back into the pan.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Didnt see the post about pinging the ridge until it was too late
I'm sorry I didn't post this earlier. I use a flip phone so I only get on here in the evenings. Even if I had a smart phone, I wouldn't be on much more than I am now anyway. I don't keep my phone with me at work. It would get ruined by the grinder shavings or sawdust (or both).

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well got those plugs put in and the edges of the holes pinged, now its holding good oil pressure, but it sounds like its got a miss or a knock when the rpms come up