NEW Brown truck is going under the knife thread

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I had to put my brown truck project on hold, a couple times now, because my dad's trucks kept breaking down.
Now Im gearing up to go at it again.
For a recap since its been so long, Im pulling the engine (less than 90k original miles) tearing it down and having the heads rebuilt, installing a NOS Ford 7.3 IP, installing my non gated ATS turbo system, converting the truck over to 4 wheel drive and ZF5spd, installing a new straight 4" exhaust, converting the fuel filter to the 7.3 water separator type, installing an electric fuel pump, and last but not least putting a new gauge cluster with Tach in the truck, as well as installing mechanical gauges.
My question is, since i dont want to cut any corners and have to tear it appart again, should I just replace the original injectors while Im at it with some new ones from MWFI? What type should I get? G codes are nice, but my pump isnt a turbo pump. Should I still do it?

Im also tossing around what all I should do with the engine when I have it out. I dont want to toss more than $1k in the engine including shop work, I just dont have the money to do it. But the more I think about it I'd like to just put a new oil pump in, have the block baked and rehoned (shouldnt need bored with that low of miles), install new main and rod bearings if I can afford it as well as new rings. I can rehone the engine myself with a drill hone I guess, whats your guys thoughts on that? Im also trying to dig up a big 7.3 oil cooler for it since its still got the original 6.9 cooler that WILL fail sooner or later.
Should I have the freeze plugs redone, or leave them alone?

Also if anyone knows of a good place to get the good bearings, sealed power rings, and oil pump from let me know (and what are the good bearings and oil pump). I've heard bad things about some of the pumps going around.

I know there's allot there, but I want to get this done before the snow hits the ground.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
if it has less than 90 k miles on it why are you wasting your money rebuilding the engine. i can see new head gaskets and studs but that's about it.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Haha, glad to see there's a consensus here. lol
I just got off the phone with Mel and he said exactly the same thing. Leave it alone. lol
So what Im going to do, pending what it actually looks like when I pull the heads, if its still got good honing and no ridges I'm leaving the long block alone.
My grandpas truck is about the fairest example I know of as to just exactly how long you can run these engines so long as they are taken care of properly. 650k+ miles on a completely stock never touched bottom end is pretty good for any engine I'd say, and it still didnt have a knock of any kind, just started getting low oil pressure.

Im still going to convert the oil cooler and all the other stuff, just planning on not having to do anything with the long block.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wil lsay htis again, I didnt like my g codes with a non turbo pump.
Also dont buy any new oil pumps unless from IH or ford . Inspect the old one and if it is in spec ,use it, I am putting in my old one if I have to pull the pan again.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea, I'm leaning more towards getting the BB codes again if I can, that is if my injectors arent within specs.

Thanks for the heads up on the oil pumps too.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just buy some new BB Delphis. You can get them from Pensacola Diesel pretty cheap. I'd not mess with the bottom end at all unless something is wrong with it.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
There are even two different 7.3 coolers if im not mistaken.
The 6.9 cooler is a 6 oring cooler which you cant get parts for anymore, plus its a smaller barrel for cooling, which is just a bad idea when running a turbo.
There is a smaller (4 oring) 7.3 N/A oil cooler, and then the 7.3 turbo oil cooler which is the largest of all IDI oil coolers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online