Need some opinions

Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have great respect for all of you guys (used as a gender neutral term). I value your experience, knowledge, and opinions.

So, tell me what you think...I have a chance to change out my 7.3IDI and E4OD for a 5.9L Cummins and a 5spd. I have been promised the change will work, but I'm just a little unsure right now. What's ya'lls take on it?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Darrin Tosh is doing that, except for the transmission part. The big down side to going the cummins route, is you loose something in the support arena. Where as now you have ALL of us to help you with your IDI issues, you would only have SOME of us to help you with the Cummins stuff, and then to get more support, you would have to rely on a totally different network of people. That's not to say there isn't such a network, or that it isn't just as good, it's just that your stepping away from the community somewhat. Just to give as an example, when Joe Lewis broke down in South Carolina, he got lots of help and he got it fast. When Travis broke down coming to the IDI Weekend, I don't know who if anybody was able to help him. That, and then of course you would have what everybody else has, instead of wanting to be different. LOL

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well if You don't do it then better let Me be first bid the engine.
There is a good forum for cummins engines and they have lots of info and even articles like We do here, I don't know if they would be as willing to help as this IDI community is bc I know the force really is strong here and they can always help You if You have online connection but the rest is up to You.

The cummins is a great engine just like the IDI but unfortunately You can only get so much power out of this beast when the C is full of things You can do to gain HP I guess that is why there is a hole lot of people switching to them. Now will You use it for towing or is it just for reliability? If yes the second then keep the IDI.

My .2

Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do appreciate the input. I don't do much towing anymore, maybe a 25ft TT every blue moon or so, but that's it. What I need is reliability, which Big Red has been lacking for a while. I want a truck that I can really depend on everyday, but I don't want to have to work on it every weekend nor do I want a huge payment every month. I also want to have my cake and eat it, too.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
In that case the IDI is as good as the C. How old are the parts failing on the truck now? If they are original from the truck then that is going to happen with any mechanical part, now don't confuse engine failure with accessories going south. I haven't owned a cummins for too long but I read about them every day and engine failure is uncommon like on the IDI but the accessories and truck breaking is as common as it is with this truck.

The IDI will take You across country but it will lack the hp and fuel mileage You can get with a C.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some people just seem to have bad experiences, and I think it comes from a combination of factors, some of which may be their fault, and some of which may be the fault of previous owners. A lot of folks downgrade the integrity of their trucks by using substandard repair parts. Sometimes they misdiagnose a problem, and fix the symptom instead of the cause. Sometimes there is neglect, and sometimes there is poor decisions in areas such as frequency of oil and filter changes, fuel quality, etc. When this happens in a lot of areas at once, people sometimes come to the conclusion that the truck isn't any good, and so they go find something else. By happenstance, what they replace it with may have a better history, but if the fault is in the owners practices, eventually they may end up in the same boat. If you get a truck that has been abused, you have to fix everything, the first time all at once. Otherwise, you end up working on it all the time. I have 3 IDI's, one of which will be 25 years old. None of them have kept me from getting anywhere, and I probably spend 20 hours a year on them, most of it preventative. Generally speaking, I only encounter a major repair of some kind once a decade. Some used to attribute this to the "garage queen" status of my trucks, but that doesn't hold true for 1 of them, which is my most worn out, most questionable origin machine. When I put it together, I started with an engine with unknown miles that I didn't do anything with but paint it. I rebuilt the trans, and put it in a truck, adding new shocks and U-joints. Made up my own electrical system, and cleaned up the dents and to a lesser extent, the rust. It burns 2 quarts of oil between changes, belches smoke out of the road draft tube, and turns 2800 RPM back and forth to work most days. Right now it needs a valve cover gasket, and some leaks fixed, but all that stuff is optional for now. If it breaks, it will probably be my fault.

Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel, you couldn't be more right about taking care of a vehicle. The downsode in my case is the previous owner wasn't the shiniest nickle in the fountain and didn't do much to care for this truck.

Lately, I've just had one issue after another go bad. Rear wheel seals for the second time in 2 years, valve cover gaskets, altenator, belt tensioner, front drive shaft u-joints, shift tube in the steering column, the list goes on. Now I need a rear main seal and power steering pump. Who knows what's next. I'd just like to have a weekend or two where I'm not having to work on the truck.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Mel, you couldn't be more right about taking care of a vehicle. The downsode in my case is the previous owner wasn't the shiniest nickle in the fountain and didn't do much to care for this truck.

Lately, I've just had one issue after another go bad. Rear wheel seals for the second time in 2 years, valve cover gaskets, altenator, belt tensioner, front drive shaft u-joints, shift tube in the steering column, the list goes on. Now I need a rear main seal and power steering pump. Who knows what's next. I'd just like to have a weekend or two where I'm not having to work on the truck.

You've done all this 2 times? or just the wheel seals?

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Rear wheel seals for the second time in 2 years
I have over 300,000 on my rear wheel seals.Something isn't right there.DId you use the seals with the inner rotating peice?

valve cover gaskets
they go on any engine.

altenator, belt tensioner, front drive shaft u-joints, shift tube in the steering column,
These things wont be helped by a new engine.

Now I need a rear main seal and power steering pump.
rear seal?Pain in the ass but are U sure that is where the leak is? Power steeering pump -last a long time new engine wouldn't haave helped you there.

yes your engine may be getting old-using much oil? We can't tell you what is best for U, but you will be putting a lot of time and $$ into the cummins swap. Nice engine though -do you need or want the extra power?do you need the extra power?Does the time & $$$ seems worth it? Really it is your call.I just want to caution U that most of your repairs were non engine related. Mr Bill

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
you know what you got now, if you change you got to learn it all over again! but the dodge post have been going up over here lately!;Sweet

pafixitman

Reaction score
I did 2 wheel seals in less than a year - correction, the same person (a Ford tech) did the seals twice. First one was a Advance Auto special. Second time was Motorcraft from Ford. Here is my ramblings.

These trucks are becoming inexpensive to get into and some that are bought cannot have proper maintenance done to them.

There is a difference between OEM parts and "lifetime warranty" specials.

Once repowered, the resale market becomes limited.

I have enough problems remembering what vehicle a part is for. I can't imagine remembering the motor is Cummins, the body and accessories are Ford, the power steering pump is for a '96 Dodge, but the steering gear is for a '91...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Another thing to consider, if you do the cummins swap , you'll probably need to change out the rear end gearing as well., add ~ $500 is you know how to setup rear ends and have the needed tools yourself, $1500+ if you have to pay to have it done :eek:

I personally wouldn't mind having a cummins, but mostly for the ease of working on the straight 6 over the v8. I don't have any issues with the 7.3 IDI ( expecially now that I have a fresh on in there ;Sweet It does anything i could want it to.

---------Robert

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
As was said earlier you'd loose this support community somewhat. Thing is though, with a Cummins, you may never need a support community. Those things can take a heavy beating and still scoot right along. My van was cared for by my dad for a while, which he doesn't care for anything very well. He drove it for 4 years or so and destoryed the engine via cavitation. His 97 cummins he treated like a piece of @#$% and ran it with hardly any oil on occasions and drove around with 4000lbs camper in the bed for about 150,000 miles and still that thing runs just fine. The transmission of course blew up once or twice but the engine is bullet proof. I'm pretty sure the coolant has never been changed, no major engine part has been replaced, no water pumps, injection pump, injectors, etc.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have said the same about the IDI, when you consider the number of them that were sold, and the number of folks active here. Seems to me if someone is doing repairs twice, that they have done themselves, well... no offense, but I rest my case. Did you spend the big bucks on the rear axle seal upgrade...
You must be registered for see images

Did you use a torque wrench on your valve cover gaskets, and clean the surfaces with laquer thinner? Use RTV on the cover side only? Alternator a Ford reman? I have to agree with Mr. Bill. Most of that stuff goes bad on any truck. Cummins engines have more valve cover gaskets than we do, so more chances to leak. Most Dodge trucks have full time front hubs too, so I imagine those front axle U-joints go bad much more often. I can't imagine needing front drive shaft U-joints, unless you run around with your hubs locked all the time. Not trying to beat up on you Doc, but just seeing if any of my theories are correct.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7