Need rad...Powerstroke work?

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last week I had a bad time of it. Blew a U joint just before a 300mile roundtrip, got that fixed, and then 50 miles into it, I took a rock in my rad and got a nasty leak. I managed to put a couple surgical clamps on it that I had in my toolbox(I work in the OR) and limped through, but now I need a rad.

Locally, seems like these things are made of platinum or something, 'cause they're wanting $1000 and up for one, but I got a line on a used one from a F350 with a Stroke.

Anyone know if a 4 core rad from a '95 with a powerstroke engine would fit my '93?

Thanks

Zigg :)

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've wondered the same thing. I think I've read that the water outlets are on opposite sides of the radiator from our IDI?

gandalf

Reaction score
I think a p'stroke radiator will not fit in your '93.

Fordparts.com list '92-'94 F-350 7.3 radiator at USD 418, and '94-'97 7.3 P'stroke at USD 400. They seem to indicate two different radiators, though they do not offer part numbers. They do have rough pictures.

This isn't to say that the '95 won't fit. You just might have to get a bit creative.:eek:

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
If you could fabricate mounts and hoses, i reckon it would keep the damn thing cool.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced mine and got it at Carquest for $268.00. Itis a 4 row and is a just like my old one.

Jim

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
I just had one installed at the Ford dealership. Bill was a little over $500. Included SCA, antifreeze, labor, etc & is waranteed at any ford store in the country (at least this one).

Chuck

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a rad out of a f450 ps in mine, 96 was the year. fit perfect, pluged the little hose nipple at the bottom for that funky bypass system and works fine

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
$1000...yeouch :kick:

I've got a custom all aluminum 5 row equivilant radiator on order right now and it's only costing about $550 plus shipping. Unfortunately, it takes the guy a couple of weeks to get them out. I can't wait to pop that thing in.

--------Robert

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Let the cat outta the bag.
Where, who, how much, for the AL 5 row??????

The aluminum radiator is not 5 rows, it's 2 really wide rows equivilant to 5 row copper. Better flow and more contact to the metal in the air flow path
Mine is the first for this application he's done so he's having to make a pattern now, but if this works out, he should be able to crank them out a bit quicker. I told him that if this works out, he'd likely be getting a lot of calls. Luckily he found a core locally to copy so I didn't have to ship the old one to him.
It's Rodney Red
He gave me a price of $550 plus shipping for my 92, that's without a tranny cooler in it. He advertises that when he makes them, they will be direct fit.
I will report back with pictures when it gets here.

---------Robert

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zigg I bought one from radiatorbarn & have not been happy with it it leaks at the soldered joint for the bottom tank & the don't want to provide service on their "life time" warranty so no way would I recommend them for anyone.

Jim73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RLDSL, I'll be waiting to hear how the Rodney Red rad works for you. If an attempt to time her doesn't reveal that I'm running way retarded (insert smart comments here, I know that is way too easy of a straight line!) and possibly contributing to my cooling woes, I might be right behind you!

Jim

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the radiator with my '95 PSD (off an F-Superduty) front clip. It has the return and pickup in the opposite position of the IDI radiator. Sure you could make it work, but you can get 4 row IDI rad's for much cheaper than $1000. That's crazy expensive.

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online