Need advice...

V8BBGER

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

From time to time you should be nice to yourself. And so I bought a 96 F250 PSD ECLB with nice 36 tires and and and...
But unfortunately the truck has no engine anymore.

My question is, should I look for a PSD of the same year or try to get a 03 PSD, which has more HP?
What do you guys think I should get?

Every idea or advice is highly appreciated.

Greetings from the old world (Krautland)

Ronny

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The International T444E long block is exactly the same if you go to building an engine. I figure one can be found cheap out of a bus.
I would probably find a newer 7.3 if I were looking for a whole engine, myself.

1995 Ford F250 SCLB 7.3L PSD 4wd ZF5/ Luk SMF, Dana 50/ Man Lockout, Strictly Diesel Oil Dipstick Adapter, stock.

V8BBGER

Reaction score
Hi Direwulf,

Thank you for your response.

Ok, we don't have these kind of buses here. Maybe at any US-installation.
I live in Germany.

Well, I would prefer also a younger one, because the 03 has about 40 HP more :))

So you think the 03 motor would fit in an 96 engine compartment, but would I need a different computer or any different sensors?

Thank you in advance.

See you...

Ronny

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would stick with the same year.
if you dont you have to mess around with IDM's and CPU's

to get them to work together the CPU must be flashed or replaced.
the injectors have a slightly different firing pattern.

this is what gives it the 40 more hp.

also in mid 01, the PSD's went to powder crushed rods.
all rods before 01.5 were forged.

i would really stick to the same era to prevent headaches and money.

40 hp isnt much gain for the problems involved, especially when you can get a tuner for a couple hundred bucks and make up the difference

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
You can easily get the extra 40 or so ponies out of the early engines. Tunes and injectors.

To run a 03 engine you will need to do some tunes anyways. The only gain with a later engine is the turbo, charge air cooler, and HPOP. Downfall if this engine is the powder metal rods.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^ Um, all of the above applies to dropping a '99-'02 7.3L PoweStroke engine into a '96 truck. The OP wants to swap a 2003 engine, therefore a 6.0L, in. This is a completely different engine. Game-changer. To swap a later 7.3, you'd swap in the MECHANICAL engine, and retain all the '96 truck's original electronics, so the HP gain would be minimal (and the same gain could be made to an existing '96 engine, as said).

Swapping in a 6.0 would be a MAJOR undertaking, because it would require the electronics of the donor to be transplanted as well. At the very least, you'd be "sistering in" MUCH of the wiring from a donor '03-up truck. Then there would be the conundrum of what instrument cluster to use. This goes way beyond even, say, swapping an PSD from an OBS into a bricknose, since at least there was SOME commonality wrt the cab. Between a '96 and an '03, with the frame/cab being different generations and the powertrain being TWO generations separated, it would be one long build thread.

Then there's of course the elephant in the room - the, er, less-than-stellar history of the reliability of the 6.0. Yes, there are wide claims that there are ways to deal with those issues. Again, it wouldn't be a free lunch, not even a cheap peanut butter sandwich.

Bottom line, there are waaaaay better (saner) ways to gain HP.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

From time to time you should be nice to yourself. And so I bought a 96 F250 PSD ECLB with nice 36 tires and and and...
But unfortunately the truck has no engine anymore.

My question is, should I look for a PSD of the same year or try to get a 03 PSD, which has more HP?
What do you guys think I should get?

Every idea or advice is highly appreciated.

Greetings from the old world (Krautland)

Ronny
ronny-
welcome to the site.
let's see how serious you are.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/5053142835.html
you won't find a cheaper truck complete anywhere.
i can put you in touch with friends who export by the containerload to Hamburg, Germany.
you will be responsible for payment of transport fees, documentation and import duties.
if you are for real, you should be blowing up my pm box in about 10 hours or less.
i do have access to a conversational and technical German translator, but she knows nothing about building diesels. she just trasnlates for me.

V8BBGER

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for your answers and even translation help.

As far as I understand, I should get a motor which is as close to the vehicle building year.

Unfortunately I don't have the advantage of a US-car junkyard. So "my" engine is still in Poland. They ask at least for 1600 Euros if not more and shipping of course.

I guess I should go that way to be a bit save.

Thank you all guys for being such a great help and provide me to do a mistake.

See you......
Ronny

V8BBGER

Reaction score
Sorry, I hit the send button to fast...

Hey Guys, you are just GREAT!!!!! If anyone of you is coming over here....be more than sure that all beers will be on me and I'll show and introduce you to real beer!

See you.....hopefully hereeeeeeee!!!!!!

Ronny

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for your answers and even translation help.

As far as I understand, I should get a motor which is as close to the vehicle building year.

Unfortunately I don't have the advantage of a US-car junkyard. So "my" engine is still in Poland. They ask at least for 1600 Euros if not more and shipping of course.

I guess I should go that way to be a bit save.

Thank you all guys for being such a great help and provide me to do a mistake.

See you......
Ronny
your biggest question you need to look into is how intact is your wiring harness under the hood? if you have missing it, you will be better off buying a complete truck and bringing it over rather than trying to piece one back together.
yes, I know about your beers, used to send raiding parties into town when we flew into Ramstien for Landstuhl drop-offs.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
^^^^^^ Um, all of the above applies to dropping a '99-'02 7.3L PoweStroke engine into a '96 truck. The OP wants to swap a 2003 engine, therefore a 6.0L, in. This is a completely different engine. Game-changer. To swap a later 7.3, you'd swap in the MECHANICAL engine, and retain all the '96 truck's original electronics, so the HP gain would be minimal (and the same gain could be made to an existing '96 engine, as said).

Swapping in a 6.0 would be a MAJOR undertaking, because it would require the electronics of the donor to be transplanted as well. At the very least, you'd be "sistering in" MUCH of the wiring from a donor '03-up truck. Then there would be the conundrum of what instrument cluster to use. This goes way beyond even, say, swapping an PSD from an OBS into a bricknose, since at least there was SOME commonality wrt the cab. Between a '96 and an '03, with the frame/cab being different generations and the powertrain being TWO generations separated, it would be one long build thread.

Then there's of course the elephant in the room - the, er, less-than-stellar history of the reliability of the 6.0. Yes, there are wide claims that there are ways to deal with those issues. Again, it wouldn't be a free lunch, not even a cheap peanut butter sandwich.

Bottom line, there are waaaaay better (saner) ways to gain HP.

FYI.....

Early 2003 model year trucks had the 7.3 PSD. The 6.0PSD was not introduced until 2003.25 per Ford documentation. Just like 1994 with the IDI and PSD being available that year. So him looking for a 2003 PSD is a valid engine, but still a difficult transplant.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in 03, they came with 250 or 275 ponys
the 6.0 came with 310 or 325

the 96 came with 210 hp

V8BBGER

Reaction score
Howdy Folks,

Frankly said.....you guys are just GREAT!!!!

Thanks a lot for the information and input.

Unfortunately I don't have the place to work on any vehicle. But a friend of mine is running a shop
and works mostly on US-cars. I called him today to ask if my E150 is ready for the German inspection
and also asked him if he would have a PSD for me. And fortunately he has a 97 PSD with about 120k kilometers
on it.

The Craigslist offer is good, but there will be costs for shipping and custom fees and taxes, which will make it
expensive. So the easier way is to take the motor here which will cost me about 1000 Euros.

Ok, I'm not really new to this website. I'm reading here since about 2 years. And now that I am a proud owner of
a F250 I needed to register here, because I want to learn from you. I have no idea what all the short cuts mean, but I hope I will find that out somehow.

The beer-invitation is still valid!

@towcat Well, Rammstein reminds me on your ex-president Bill Clinton.
I met him there many years ago and had some burgers with him and a few
GIs in a hangar. He was a nice guy btw.

So thank you guys very much for your fast help.

See you...

Ronny

P.S. I own a second generation Trans Am (69 GTO engine with some mods) runs more than
300 km/h and has still space between the pedal and the metal. I gave it to my daughter. But
I still have a Parisienne Safari, a 86 Bronco with a 351 and auto, an E150 also with a 351 and
auto and now a F250 PSD 5 speed without engine yet. I'm a single parent and live together
with my 18 year old son. So having a men's household is pretty relaxing .

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
better put a throttle stop on that 400 ci!
i have yet to meet a woman that can handle the torque of a RA IV