na to turbo

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Maybe brush up on your four letter words (installing a turbo isn't very easy if you've never messed with one before). Then enjoy the finished results!

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last I heard, a hx35 is only good for around 200 at the wheels on an idi, due to choking off the flow at the high end.
I'd do some research on that...

I have managed to get 250 out of a Banks turbo(with oversized IP), but with a stock IP, 220rwhp is a more practical limit.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep its a small turbo but not that much smaller than the factory garrett turbo.

IDI Factory Turbo:
Compressor:

Inducer- 58mm
Exducer- 70mm
A/R .70 T04B cover

Turbine:

Inducer- 64mm
Exducer- 56mm
A/R .82 T3 Housing

HX35:
98.5'-2002 HX35's are 7blade compressor 54mm x 78mm, turbine 58mm, wastegated housing.

94-98 HX35's are 8blade compressor 54mm x 83mm, turbine 58mm, wastegated housing.

Just a bit smaller but luckily theres a huge aftermarket for these turbos and an upgraded rebuild kit is very affordable. If he wants to make more power the op will be looking at more money:dunno
Thats just how it goes:drunk:

Glsawyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i may be able to get a hx35 off a cummins.

also the manifold i got says turbo engineering

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made 700hp with a mustang I build with a China turbo. They work and the quality is much better than they used to be, but if you can afford better do it.

You’ll want around a gt35 sized china turbo if you end up getting that.

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GLsawyer

I used a CX racing H1C on my 6.9idi for a while before I destroyed the seals due to being an idiot and using tiny oil feed restrictor made for a ball bearing turbo. I ended up rebuilding my stock turbo and somehow I'm still leaking from the oil drain! (Time for a hammer and a sharpened screw driver)...

I only made near 2.5-3lbs in 4th at 2800-3k rpms. Other than my screw up, I think you could make a CX racing H1C 18cm^2 work with more fuel. It sounded sooooooo good! Use a flexible Cummins oil drain into the stock location, bolt the turbo to factory up-pipe, have a 2.5"OD V band to V band 90 degree pipe made and bolt it to a Banks downpipe.

Try it, I'd love to see another CX, Holset, or S360 budget build!