my intercooler install

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
over the last couple of weeks ive been working on getting an intercooler on my 93 with a banks wastegated sidewinder. I used a ***** IC off ebay so hopefully it lasts a while LOL. Im still waiting on a silicone reducing 45 and another 90 and I will have it plumbed in. I ended up making my own intake hat since i didnt like anything that was available, not to mention this one was free other than my time.

You must be registered for see images attach

I started with a 1.5" slice of 6" well casing then I put it on the lathe and cut the ID to 5.125. then I capped it with a piece of 3/16, ground the weld on the outside and smoothed it with a flap wheel. next step was to cut a hole in the top for the inlet which is just 3" exhaust pipe. I cut and trimmed the pipe to clear the wastegate and turbo outlet then welded it on. to secure the thing I found a small steel bushing with a 3/8 ID and welded it in to the tube to run the bolt thru. I finished up with a die grinder to smooth up the inside and a coat of paint. I wanted to build this all out of aluminum but I didnt want to buy any material so I just used what I had in the scrap pile.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Do you have a powerstroke bumper with the cuttouts, otherwise that seems like it wouldn't do much right behind a piece of steel...

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
He has a 93 so I'd assume he has the OBS bumper. If you don't I hope you plan on making some vents in the bumper. Looks good though so far! I spent allot of time thinking about my intercooler install and I really wanted something that would be a short route intercooler. Found out a 02 Cummins IC fits perfectly around the old wide radiator in these trucks. I love IC installs, look forward to lots of progress pics.

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, I have a bumper with cutouts. I plan on building my own heavy duty bumper one of these days and it will have even bigger cutouts. The main reason I mounted it down low like that is so it doesnt impede airflow to my AC condenser. I absolutely must have ice cold AC! I thought about using a 6.0 intercooler and then mounting the condenser in front of it but I just dont think these IDIs need that large of one.

I was hoping to find a package of silicone couplers on my doorstep when I got home today but they werent here yet.

BTW, if anyone needs an ATS intake hat let me know, I have a brand new one im not going to use.

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think im the first to IC the sidewinder. I found a couple others on here that have done it.

and Mel, mine is from CX racing as well.

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
finally got the pieces i needed to finish the plumbing. Eventually I will eliminate about 3 of the silicone couplers with a tig welder.

I went for a quick drive and my max boost dropped from 12 to 10 but my EGTs are significantly lower! I stopped and touched the piping and the hot side was almost too hot to keep my hand on and the cold side was...well cold. I think I will have to see if my pump has any more in her!

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a shot of the IC behind the bumper

Last edited:

Black dawg

Reaction score
looks good, hook a trailer to it, youll be amazed. how do you like your m55s

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the M55s for this truck, this is the second set and Ill probably get another set in another 50000.

I havent done any cruising yet, I will keep an eye on it on my way to work in the morning. Keep in mind this truck weighs 7500-8000lbs every day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70