My facet mechanical to electric fuel pump conversion review.

Kevo1288

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my Dura-Lift 40223 pump for a little over a year & never had any problems. Mine is a pusher, not a puller. Mounted on the frame rail about 2' from the tank switch/valve. It will squirt you in the eye if you push the schraeder valve. Do not have a pressure gauge on it. I drive a lot of expressway and can bury the needle. Just can't keep up with everyone else.

That is the pump im using but it is a puller, they are all pullers. No?

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Answers is really no for any pump. If the pump is higher then the liquid level then air pressure is pushing the liquid up to the pump. Electric fuel pumps start giving up flow the farther and higher they are away from the fuel, and they are all more effective as gravity fed "pushers". Also check tank vents, if a vacuum is being made in the tank that is less air pressure to feed the pump greatly reducing performance. Pumps flow and pressure are rated in a best case scenario, short unrestricted discharge, and short feed into pump. Pressure is a static or low flow state. 33 gph in ideal conditions for 40222 is on the low side considering the mechanical is 30gph at 1800 rpm.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the Facets, some mount them on the frame by the tanks as pushers, and some mount them in the engine bay like I did and use them as pullers. The push vs. pull has been debated on here a lot, but the general consensus is that the Facets will work okay either way.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines set up as a puller on the passenger fender and I’ve had no fuel delivery issues. These units are originally designed for semi trailer ****** units where the pump is near the top of the trailer with the engine and it pulls fuel from the tank that hangs under the trailer. I work for Great Dane trailers in the ****** department and can confirm this lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines set up as a puller on the passenger fender and I’ve had no fuel delivery issues. These units are originally designed for semi trailer ****** units where the pump is near the top of the trailer with the engine and it pulls fuel from the tank that hangs under the trailer. I work for Great Dane trailers in the ****** department and can confirm this lol

Good know know that is a true story from someone in the industry!

Also, looking on the Facet website they list ALL of their pumps as pushers only. I found that interesting. We still need pressure readings under WOT from someone with a maxed out IP and gauge in the cab/on the hood to see if it's significantly different/better.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but how large are the engines on the reefers?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
<1liter
I bet a little fact we all let slide.
who has a flow bench and some daylight to burn?

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good know know that is a true story from someone in the industry!

Also, looking on the Facet website they list ALL of their pumps as pushers only. I found that interesting. We still need pressure readings under WOT from someone with a maxed out IP and gauge in the cab/on the hood to see if it's significantly different/better.

I have an autometer 0-15psi fuel gauge on its way in the mail. I plan to put the T between the facet and fuel filter to try to monitor fuel filter condition. RD-80/stock replacement injectors. I will be sure to post more Info once it’s installed

but how large are the engines on the reefers?

The smaller truck body units are .9 liter 3cyl and the full size trailers can use the same up to a 2.2L 4cyl

Reactions: Clb

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I Would think one would be wise to hook the fuel pressure gauge as close to the i.p. As possible.

a thought... Using the 5psi poppet on the returns???

Could\would this cause the inj. And i.p. To heat soak?

Kevo1288

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kevo, is it possible that the sensor is going bad, not the pump? Do you have a fuel pressure gauge you can plumb in temporarily?

Is it normal for them to fail? I mean it could definitely be going bad but it does come on and off, mostly just off when im idling away.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only thing that is post filter is the the rear most port which has the vacuum canister for the filter light.

You don’t want to restrict the return of the injection pump, worse case scenario it won’t even start, otherwise you will be limiting the amount of fluid cools the pump and injectors.

The valves can fail, but more than likely it’s a piece of old shower head that could be sucked up into the line. You can unhook your feed line and blow back to tank to be sure it’s clear of debris.

Kevo1288

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only thing that is post filter is the the rear most port which has the vacuum canister for the filter light.

You don’t want to restrict the return of the injection pump, worse case scenario it won’t even start, otherwise you will be limiting the amount of fluid cools the pump and injectors.

The valves can fail, but more than likely it’s a piece of old shower head that could be sucked up into the line. You can unhook your feed line and blow back to tank to be sure it’s clear of debris.

I may do this this weekend. Its so odd. Its driving me nuts just time isn't allowing me to look at it to much , its that time of year you know? Cant wait to install a sump when I do the tank conversion. I was worrying about those shower heads.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was worrying about those shower heads.

When I dropped my tanks years ago now to fix the broken showerheads, I found the original showerheads had disintegrated into many little tiny bits of black plastic. Kudos to the Ford Engineers who spec'd plastic for the showerheads in diesel fuel tanks that was not "diesel compatible".:backoff

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online