my dyno numbers are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to say that I have DPS injectors as well as a Moose pump. I am happy with both the pump and injectors.

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not a wastegated vs non-WG issue. the 088 has a huge hot side, vs the small hot side on the 093.

Thats a good point (since generally wastegated turbos run smaller turbines), which is another reason I don't like the 088LOL. Its not easy to swap the exhaust side so I tried the compressor instead with only minor results. I have other issues with it now too however. I don't know how many miles are on it and there may be leaks in the exhaust lines somewhere.

No, I never even pulled this engine from the truck.. I stripped it down to the block and built it back up.

That makes me feel better too (I didn't balance mine either).

Same here :dunno That said a friend of mine can easily and fairly quickly hit 15psi with his 088 and that's with only an open element cone filter and a 4" exhaust.

Mine came with the 085 airbox and I'm running a 3" muffled exhaust....:rolleyes:
I'll probably go with a 4" straight pipe eventually. The flow through muffler did nothing to eliminate my cabin drone so whats the point in using one:mad:

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definitely think that there is something wrong with your turbo. Either that or you do have a leak somewhere. Also, how far is ur Moose turned up?:D

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't tampered with the moose pump at all since I got it. I don't see the point in turning up the fuel since anything over 5 PSI gives progressively more smoke for the boost reading. Timing seems to be about right as well since anything more advanced starts killing my glow plugs.

.......sorry for the hijack....

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
NMB2, Congrats on the build and the great numbers!

As I look at what you have done with your truck, and compare it to what others have done, basically it all has been done and dynoed,...(DPS Pump, injectors, open exhaust, head studs,.etc) With the exception of the 2.5" Up pipes. I have not seen anyone bring up this mod yet.

IIRC, Littledoggie also has the ATS Upgraded housing along with the DPS Pump and injectors, and his numbers are no where near yours. He does run an auto.

Most turbo kits have pretty restrictive up pipes and I don't hear a lot of guys pay attention to them.

So my question is do you think that it is the upgraded up pipes that opens up the whole system to be more efficient and make that kind of power?

Another thing that is interesting is how much higher the torque numbers are relative to the HP numbers, compared to every other IDI that has ever been dynoed.

Your numbers 232rwhp 602rwtq

My IDI no LPG HP 183.15 Torque 325.45
My IDI with LPG HP 205.51 Torque 361.55

Heath Sutton- DPS inj 185.1 404.0
Heath Sutton MM's 178.7 387.9
Joe Perry 172.5 313.6
Suzi Agne 151.9 284.2
Steve Reitner 150.0 300.3

Most of the IDI's the torque numbers are around double the HP numbers with exception of Heaths are a little higher than that.

Yours are closer to triple.,.That is more like Cummins territory,..

Anyone have any thoughts on this,...?

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
Another thing that is interesting is how much higher the torque numbers are relative to the HP numbers, compared to every other IDI that has ever been dynoed.

Your numbers 232rwhp 602rwtq

Most of the IDI's the torque numbers are around double the HP numbers with exception of Heaths are a little higher than that.

Yours are closer to triple.,.That is more like Cummins territory,..

Anyone have any thoughts on this,...?

the 232/602 number was the machines dynojet guestimate. We are not using those numbers at all, so please disregard.

HP number is low because there was no RPM pickup. The horsepower curve is correct, but at the wrong point on the graph due to the machine not knowing the RPM.

A dyno does not need to know RPM to calculate torque as it is a real physical force. Horsepower, however is a made up number, a byproduct of torque calculated by torque @ a given RPM.

That graph is a pull from 1600rpm - 3200rpm approximately.

So.

(Torque X RPM) / 5252 = Horsepower

558 x 2200 / 5252 = 233rwhp

528 x 3200 / 5252 = 321rwhp (at the peak of my HP curve)

321/558 is the real numbers.

I do think there are significant gains by using a 2.5" x-over and up pipe that are fully wrapped, and my downpipe is wrapped. In other applications this has proven time and time again to increase power, and in turbo app's boost faster.

For the "new" buildup I will be making a 4" exhaust housing and 4" downpipe. I think this will show the full potential of my upgraded turbo.

Also, pretty sure everyone else runs the banks airbox or ATS airbox, which both flow MUCH less air than my intake.

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might be a really dumb question, but why doesn't the dyno just use the RPM directly off the roller and calculate Hp based on gear ratio?

I'm trying to figure out why you need an RPM pickup off the engine itself when the rollers are already spinning a certain amount with a measured amount of torque.

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
This might be a really dumb question, but why doesn't the dyno just use the RPM directly off the roller and calculate Hp based on gear ratio?

I'm trying to figure out why you need an RPM pickup off the engine itself when the rollers are already spinning a certain amount with a measured amount of torque.

There is a way to tune it by looking at the vehicle tach the display on the dyno and match them up so it knows the rpm, but from what I understand its a PITA and much easier to just manually do the correction yourself.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score

Because the dyno only knows the diameter of it's rollers, not the diameter of your wheels.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a calibration tech in the Navy and when we calibrate the tachometers on some diesel test engines we use a laser pick up off off the crank shaft. This could be a way they could do it. :dunno

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I'm a calibration tech in the Navy and when we calibrate the tachometers on some diesel test engines we use a laser pick up off off the crank shaft. This could be a way they could do it. :dunno

Yes they could, optical sensor like Ken was talking about.

racecar

Reaction score
We've always made good parts. The problems arise when people order parts without telling us the entire application and expect them to work wonders. ie, putting Stage 1 sticks in a N/A engine and expecting no smoke, putting injectors in an engine with a wiped out pump and expecting it to "fix" a problem, putting a turbo pump on a N/A engine and expecting miracles, putting injectors in on a improperly timed engine without re-timing and expecting them to fix a problem, etc. etc. I could go on.

Another wrench that gets thrown in is when, if someone has a problem, whether legitimate or otherwise, tearing the injectors apart and sending them to the local diesel shop to get "fixed" instead of sending them back here for warranty or calling us to try and figure out what's going on. Of course anyone with a pop-tester is going to squawk about what the spray pattern of our injectors looks like, but it is working for the designed use - getting more fuel out quicker. I'm not going to argue the physics/theories as to why these things work great in a pre-combustion, turbocharged engine as we have over 275 sets of these on the market and I can count the number of people that have gotten back a hold of us with actual problems with the injectors on one hand (the number is 5 BTW). Out of those 5, 1 was a wrong app (smoked too much on a n/a engine). Problem fixed by swapping out a set of stock reman injectors. The other 4 were failures (cup cracked, threads stripped while installing, spring broke (2) and they were all handled by warranting out the units.

I'm not here to argue with anyone or bash any products. It seems that a lot of the "problems" we're hearing about is someone's neighbor's cousin's roommate's friend had an issue. Our biggest issue we had was when idi injector sales started to really take off, we would run out of cores on a regular basis and that would slow down shipping. We give customers 2 weeks to send their cores back to us, and that bit us in the butt. Orders would back up and we would be running around trying to find injectors. This is a non-issue anymore as we have found a source for almost unlimited cores if the need arises. If you actually have a problem with product that we sold, call the shop. You can't expect to get anything taken care of if you don't call us.

The shop is growing at an exponential rate right now and we may not be able to get to the phone on every call, but leave a message and someone WILL get back to you. We're still working on getting a hot secretary, but they are hard to come by :D

- Ken
Good post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online