my dyno numbers are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triton V10

Reaction score
I have been trying to decide if I am keeping my IDI and turboing it or selling it and I was leaning towards selling it.

The little bit thats done to yours and the numbers its making have changed my mind, The IDI is staying and I'm going to build it up.

What are your EGTs like? How well do you think the engine will take that kind of boost longterm? Most people say you can't go over 15-17 PSI with stock CR.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and also you will notice a pretty big difference with an intercooler. I have a huge ebay special on mine and it cools my boost very nicely. Haha

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to decide if I am keeping my IDI and turboing it or selling it and I was leaning towards selling it.

The little bit thats done to yours and the numbers its making have changed my mind, The IDI is staying and I'm going to build it up.

What are your EGTs like? How well do you think the engine will take that kind of boost longterm? Most people say you can't go over 15-17 PSI with stock CR.

My opinion on that is that the engine isn't hitting that high boost all that often so I don't think it honestly makes that much difference. But who knows until multiple people try for a prolonged period of time.

wmoguy

Reaction score
I'd think the engine could handle it for "occasional abuse" but like any engine, you crank it up and you are decreasing the life of the engine. I'm sure if IH could have made these trucks hold 300hp for near their service life they would have come from the factory that way.

That said, I'll all for making these old pieces of Iron get some early 2000 model power levels :sly

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
My opinion on that is that the engine isn't hitting that high boost all that often so I don't think it honestly makes that much difference. But who knows until multiple people try for a prolonged period of time.

I hit those numbers pretty much everytime I drive my truck:D

NMB2, I wouldnt start basing the moose parts yet, it has been proven time and time again that kens stage 1 injects typically have a TERRIBLE spray pattern. Mel has put a lot of R&D time into both the moose pump and the moose misters. I would be willing to bet that if you installed a moose pump and misters you would see improved HP and MPG over the stuff that Ken typically ships out.

Firstly, I do NOT want this to become a DPS vs Moose bashing debate. Both products are good, and I have no issues with Mel or his products, just a different opinion.

That being said, I will start here.
it has been proven time and time again that Kens injectors are crappy. That is NOT proof, it is opinion. Ken thinks they work better that way, Mel thinks they dont. I personally think that the spray pattern misting makes no difference, and Kens injectors putting more fuel in, faster, is better.

Your bet is wrong... Look at the power curves. That has nearly nothing to do with my turbo. It has 100% to do with my Pump, Ken's timing and fueling curves are better. Also, I get 17-20mpg highway unloaded with a ZF5 and 4.10s. 11-12mpg loaded 65-75mph. I don't think there is much improvement to be made.

You might have gotten a good shipment from Ken, but many users have had problems with his products AND his service. Ken has a lot of experience with IDIs and im sure if he took his time to develop consistent quality, we all would hold him in high regards.

Beating a dead horse, I don't want to debate it anymore and **** anyone off, I just disagree that he ever had poor customer service, maybe hes just a real convincing guy over the phone.

About Heaths Moose pump and misters dyno run, Heath ended up making more boost with the misters would could have potentially lead to more power, but his turbo was so far outside of its map that he was super heating the air and in fact loosing power. If i recall there was a common acceptance that if he had a bigger turbo he probably would have made a lot more power.

I ran 20+psi on my stock ATS turbo. Making about the same exact power I have now, there was not that big of a difference. I didnt have EGT issues, I didnt have superheating issues causing me to lose power or mileage. I looked into the turbo upgrade for use with other plans in the future. They can speculate all they want, but thats all it is, speculation, not proof. 15psi from Heaths turbo is NOT enough superheating to lose power, those are just excuses.

Finally, very nice numbers. Being a poor college student I dont have the money yet to create a nice IDI build. But your work has given me hope and inspiration that my IDI will one day put down decent numbers. Keep up the good work and lets see more dyno runs. ;Sweet

I really hope that this doesnt turn into a big grudge match of sorts. My DPS products performed better. People should be happy that Ken is putting out good products, and somebody like me has the abilities to put those products into use, with my own innovations to create numbers like I did, that just a few days ago were said to be impossible and impractical. For the Moose crowd, this doesn't change the quality of the moose products, they are still good products, and I wish Mel success (as does Ken by the way), but it does help Mel in a way, because now he can improve on his pumps tuning. I think the more product support we can get for these engines the better, but there does have to be a better setup.... for the last 2yrs it has been the Moose setup, as of yesterday, its my DPS/custom built setup.

I really just want the speculation/excuses some people are conjuring up to stop. It somewhat offends me because I have put a lot of hard work into this, and thought.... I could of just posted numbers and videos and been stingy and never let anyone know what I did.... I want everyone to have the opportunity to build an IDI like mine.

Cheers everyone, this is a good day in the IDI world:thumbsup:

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
I'd think the engine could handle it for "occasional abuse" but like any engine, you crank it up and you are decreasing the life of the engine. I'm sure if IH could have made these trucks hold 300hp for near their service life they would have come from the factory that way.

That said, I'll all for making these old pieces of Iron get some early 2000 model power levels :sly

That is a moot point. That's like saying the PSD didnt come from the factory with 300hp because it couldnt handle it. Or the 12v Cummins... 89-93 was 160/400.

Yeah, I am curious as to the longevity of these mods. the numbers are great, but at what cost:dunno

These last 10,000 miles of testing have been brutal. If my engine was going to let go, it would of already. I think this truck will run just as long as any other IDI at these power levels. I didn't just slap this thing together, I did research and spoke with a lot of people on the subject, and am convinced that this is well within the capabilities of the 6.9 IDI.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do know the shop I used to work for Precision Tire here in Beaumont Texas has a Dynojet right?

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
You do know the shop I used to work for Precision Tire here in Beaumont Texas has a Dynojet right?

Only place I knew near beaumont was Triangle speed shop, and I heard alot of bad reviews from that shop when looking for a dyno. Took me nearly a year, but I ended up finding a dyno 30 minutes from my house... go figure.

wmoguy

Reaction score
That is a moot point. That's like saying the PSD didnt come from the factory with 300hp because it couldnt handle it. Or the 12v Cummins... 89-93 was 160/400.

I bet to differ......the question was asked about the LONGEVITY of an engine at high boost and power applications like yours (high boost and power being relative to the engine); thus my response...... The comment is very relative.

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
I bet to differ......the question was asked about the LONGEVITY of an engine at high boost and power applications like yours (high boost and power being relative to the engine); thus my response...... The comment is very relative.

I understood the question, and I still disgree. There is nothing about the IDI that cannot handle this power.

You said if IH could of made this engine last on 300hp they would of. I said the 7.3PSD was only 215hp and what, 505tq?... 13-15psi from the factory. Obviously doesn't mean it wont last with more power.

onus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@NMB2 thanks for being so open about how you are going about making good power out of an idi. I appreciate and hope to build a setup like this soon. I just hope this thread doesn't turn into a ******* match.

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
Look, WMO, lets not get hung up on this. Obviously people are questioning longevity, and rest assured... I will be putting it to the test. I think there will be no longevity issues with this much power, don't agree? Well lets just wait and see guys. I think we should start looking optimistically at the capabilities.

I know the BOOB has seen many people come in and say "I'm going to make a high power IDI and tow with it and this and that" and just as quick as they came in, they disappear. I hope I have proven that I'm the real deal... I don't have a lot of money, the Army pays me peanuts... but I do have enough money and knowledge to make this stuff happen, and I am glad to share it with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.