my dyno numbers are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmoguy

Reaction score
I understood the question, and I still disgree. There is nothing about the IDI that cannot handle this power.

You said if IH could of made this engine last on 300hp they would of. I said the 7.3PSD was only 215hp and what, 505tq?... 13-15psi from the factory. Obviously doesn't mean it wont last with more power.

Will the IH handle 300hp, of course. Will it handle it from day one for 300k miles like a stock powered truck driven identically? You are enjoying a wonderful dream if you think the higher HP truck will have that kind of longevity.
Even the high HP Cummins guys aren't getting 400-500k miles out of a amp'd up Cummins.
That was my point.........I'm all for making lots of power, but to advertise make all this power with no downsides is like the Social Security system coming out and saying what was "DESIGNED" to be a short term plan will be sustainable over hundreds of years....Its just not accurate

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only place I knew near beaumont was Triangle speed shop, and I heard alot of bad reviews from that shop when looking for a dyno. Took me nearly a year, but I ended up finding a dyno 30 minutes from my house... go figure.

Triangle is a joke. When I was at Precision we were doing dyno runs about once a month. My buddies dodge dually pulls just over 500hp but we couldn't get a torque number due to it not having the rpm pickup. I'm on the phone with owner right now getting more info.

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
Will the IH handle 300hp, of course. Will it handle it from day one for 300k miles like a stock powered truck driven identically? You are enjoying a wonderful dream if you think the higher HP truck will have that kind of longevity.
Even the high HP Cummins guys aren't getting 400-500k miles out of a amp'd up Cummins.
That was my point.........I'm all for making lots of power, but to advertise make all this power with no downsides is like the Social Security system coming out and saying what was "DESIGNED" to be a short term plan will be sustainable over hundreds of years....Its just not accurate

I see where you are coming from but we don't know where that bar is for these motors. As far as we know, the numbers I am putting out could have no affects on my longevity, or my motor could blow up next week (not going to happen). Am I going to have this engine for another 300k? I hope not.

In my professional, and personal opinion... I see no reason why my engine setup exactly as it is right now, would become anymore problematic than a stock IDI. Wear out parts like injectors and pump are going to wear out, thats the nature of the beast. As long as EGT's are kept in check (as they need to be with a stock motor as well) I see no internal problems arising. This is also Ken's belief. He strongly recommends to limit rpm on a 6.9 to 3400 and on a 7.3 no more than 3700. As long as kept within those specs, the insides should be able to handle anything we could possibly throw at them.

Last edited:

wmoguy

Reaction score
I see where you are coming from but we don't know where that bar is for these motors. As far as we know, the numbers I am putting out could have no affects on my longevity, or my motor could blow up next week (not going to happen). Am I going to have this engine for another 300k? I hope not.

thats great and I"m all for it and supporting you. I just don't think it's wise to make hard claims that at this point are nothing more than speculation. There are plenty of NOOBs (me included) and people joining this site all the time. What you are doing is way cool, but I'd hate to see some unsuspecting guy who "read it on the internet" go and blow up and engine he really can't afford to replace.
That said, carry on with the build! I'm a leader, not a bleeder. I'll be happy to let you bleed and take the glory on Project IDI Max HP and then I'll follow in your footsteps :sly

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
Triangle is a joke. When I was at Precision we were doing dyno runs about once a month. My buddies dodge dually pulls just over 500hp but we couldn't get a torque number due to it not having the rpm pickup. I'm on the phone with owner right now getting more info.

Technically the dyno should spit out a torque number NOT a horsepower number without the pickup. Torque is a real, physical force that is measurable without the presence of an RPM pickup. HP is a made up if you will, byproduct calculated by torque output. Without the RPM pickup, the dyno cannot properly calculate horsepower, which is why you can just do the formula yourself.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Dynojet measures the horsepower but needs rpm to calculate torque. Don't make sense to me either but that is what Dynojet told me when I called them a few years ago.. I'm on the phone to them to see if their EZ RPM pickup will work for a diesel and if it will and isn't insane expensive will be buying it so I have it myself.

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
A Dynojet measures the horsepower but needs rpm to calculate torque. Don't make sense to me either but that is what Dynojet told me when I called them a few years ago.. I'm on the phone to them to see if their EZ RPM pickup will work for a diesel and if it will and isn't insane expensive will be buying it so I have it myself.

Oh yes, its a dynojet, which is why they are inflated/not as accurate as mustangs or land and sea, superflow, ect.

The dyno jet has a known weight on the roller and it calculates horsepower by knowing how much force/how fast it should take to spin that roller.

Thats why they are fun for shootouts, dynoing 50 trucks in a day and seeing whos on top, but they are not good for tuning due to this inaccuracy.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm well aware of that fact but you had mentioned wanting to put yours on a dynojet to get the inflated numbers. Another person in this area with a dyno is Gary Watson Racing and there is another guy who is just getting set up and I believe he has a mustang unit.

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
I'm well aware of that fact but you had mentioned wanting to put yours on a dynojet to get the inflated numbers. Another person in this area with a dyno is Gary Watson Racing and there is another guy who is just getting set up and I believe he has a mustang unit.

I wasnt trying to be repetitive, just trying to explain why the dynojet puts out a HP number.

I do want to put my truck on a dynjojet, but only if its convenient. Only reason being, is so we can compare a dynojet number to a dynojet number (like heaths) without trying to convert my Mustang number.

know what I mean?;Sweet

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me know when you want to and I can arrange it. They said two runs are 75 dollars. I can probably get that down lower telling them its a favor to me. They have a few 6.0s that need headgaskets so I can knock my labor to them down if it will help lower the price to a brother oilburner.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
That is a moot point. That's like saying the PSD didnt come from the factory with 300hp because it couldnt handle it. Or the 12v Cummins... 89-93 was 160/400.

I agree, you have to remember that manufactures have to deal with emissions and cost, if it costs them less and still gets the job done they'll do it.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
With all this talk, maybe i can talk my brother into taking off his pulse turbo and bolting on a H2E and a Higher flowing IP and nozzles in his dually

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
Did you shave or ceramic coat your pistons?

Are we talking stock cam here?

No internal work.

head gaskets, studs, turbo, DPS Pump, DPS stage 1 sticks, 2.5" x-over pipe, 2.5" up pipe, 3" exhaust housing, 3" downpipe, 4" straight pipe.

when I do the "rebuild" I will still not ceramic coat the pistons.. I think its pointless in my application... however I will be getting a cam ground once I figure out the specs I want/need.

All of my modifications are in my signature. Nothing else.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm really at a loss for what to do with my filter. that IS the filter for 7.3 PSD guys and my turbo collapsed it. Looks like I need to do some research. If I don't find a new filter by the weekend, I will probably just run my pulls next week without a filter on the tube.

That's what I was thinking...open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online