my dyno numbers are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A nice run. The torque values are a vast improvement over anything we've seen here before and the horsepower is already at the top of the IDI range. I can't wait to see how it will look when you can get your full boost that you run on the street on the rollers. Should be a substantial improvement.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
either way. Although I am not happy because my truck wasn't running to its fullest. I am happy with the numbers... Hopefully this will open the non-believers eyes, and I think its a GREAT testament to the design/tuning of Ken's parts... especially the pump.

Remember... I make these numbers pushing 17 - 20mpg unloaded highway and 11-12mpg loaded highway.

I am quite impressed with your truck! I figured you would be up there, but I didn't realize just how high. Certainly a new height for the IDI.
I'm pleased that you also have found good fortune with Ken's parts. Many here have had bad experiences with him... But I guess when it comes together and works, it really shines. Also, you might check out the sticky thread with Heath's numbers. I think he made a few runs with a DPS pump too? :dunno

In light of this new territory in the IDI world, I would like to make a public apology. A few members here, one in particular I can think of is David85, brought the efficiency of these turbo kits into question long ago. I myself shot down his idea that something could be better and I now, with this new information, realize I was wrong.

My hat is off to you, NMB2, for pressing forward with your build. Keep us updated with your next series of runs! ;Sweet

motoshop

Reaction score
AFE Big Boost Filter

NMB2 - Have you looked into the AFE Big Boost filter? Its a washable filter and is a direct replacement for the 6637, but is made to handle more boost.

joe f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could u plz post more pics of the crushed air fliter

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
it looks like the pleating in the filter pulled together to restrict flow....

wmoguy

Reaction score
very nice #s!

Is that dyno a load dyno? Reason I ask is I've dyno'd my Cummins, Dmax's and Powersmokes, and all made less boost on the dyno specifically because it won't properly load the truck up. My Cummins could easily make 74psi on the road but I could only muster about 60-65psi on the dyno w/ the truck seriously strapped down, and 8 guys sitting in the bed of the truck. Point being, you might not ever make max boost on a dyno if you can't get it strapped down well AND you can't get enough load on the engine.

Thats just my .02, I don't think that filter looks that damaged enough to drop your boost 6lbs.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So all told, about a 25HP and 100 foot pound improvement over our current witnessed record. Sure wish you ran on a Dynojet though. All the established numbers were made on one of those. It would be a much better apple to apple comparison. Your really high boost numbers make the difference easily believeable. I'm not sure I'd throw around comments about one component being better than another when so many different variables are in play. It's too soon for direct comparisons until others have verified your results by duplicating the effort. Still, looks very promising. ;Sweet

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Despite which components are required, this kind of information will definitely help guys like me who are contemplating going to the dark side (cummins swap). If I can spend a few thousand on the right turbo/camshaft/intake/exhaust/injection combination, and get 600 ft.lbs. for about the same price as a cumins swap, I'd be shickled titless. I just can't see spending a bunch of money to only get 400 ftlbs. and 200 hp.

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
very nice #s!

Is that dyno a load dyno? Reason I ask is I've dyno'd my Cummins, Dmax's and Powersmokes, and all made less boost on the dyno specifically because it won't properly load the truck up. My Cummins could easily make 74psi on the road but I could only muster about 60-65psi on the dyno w/ the truck seriously strapped down, and 8 guys sitting in the bed of the truck. Point being, you might not ever make max boost on a dyno if you can't get it strapped down well AND you can't get enough load on the engine.

Thats just my .02, I don't think that filter looks that damaged enough to drop your boost 6lbs.

You know, last night I read about that. People not being able to hit max boost on Mustang dyno's due to the load.

I didnt think the filter looked too bad, but I am shocked that it pulled the pleats together/distorted them. I did lose boost on the street, not 6psi.. more like 2-3psi it seems when I drove it today and got on on it.

I just find it hard to believe that I legitimately sucked in a 6637 given how many high power diesel run them.... maybe I got a bad one..... I dont know. I'm kind of at a loss.

Last edited:

wmoguy

Reaction score
You know, last night I read about that. People not being able to hit max boost on Mustang dyno's due to the load.

I didnt think the filter looked too bad, but I am shocked that it pulled the pleats together/distorted them. I did lose boost on the street, not 6psi.. more like 2-3psi it seems when I drove it today and got on on it.

Yep I'm betting thats the issue.... those Dyno's work well for a little ricer hitting max boost in most cases, because the rolling resistance of the roller alone is sufficient. For our trucks and the kinda torque they make, no dice.

FWIW, I had a similar filter on my Cummins and with the kind of boost I was pushing I never had issues with the filter. Only air issue I had with that truck was the intercooler boots popping off. :rotflmao

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I think the real test would be to run your truck on a sumo with your dps
Pump maxed out, then swap a moose pump, max it out, and dump it. When maxed out it will give us the best way to figure it out.

See what I'm saying?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I think the real test would be to run your truck on a sumo with your dps
Pump maxed out, then swap a moose pump, max it out, and dump it. When maxed out it will give us the best way to figure it out.

See what I'm saying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online