my 7.3 build, part 1?

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you've got some stuff that could be helpful post up. it turns out i used up my stainless wire so i'll have to wait till saterday to get some more. for now i'm just holding stuff up and making wooshing noises.

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i've been gone for awhile and i thought i should explain. my girl friend's dad died on the 19th. so i've been busy.

i got my hours cut for the next 2 weeks so i should have time now to put this thing together. right after lunch i'm putting the new fuel system in. i'll get some pictures this time.

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update:
-moose pump is in.
-moose misters are in
-new return lines are in. - i had to re-use 3 of the old caps since the turbo 7.3 routing uses special caps.
-'99 intercooler is in
-4" power stroke exhaust is in. - still need to get my turbo and mod the down pipe to line everything up. i made it dump out the side before the rear tire.
-gasket matched the up pipe
-cut the small flange off the turbo elbow.

factory exhaust, turbo back, is for sale.
i'm putting in gauges today.
pictures in next post.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you end up doing the studs yet? Or are still waiting on that? How much boost are you wanting to hit with your setup? Btw you better post some videos of it running after it is done!! :D Oh and can't forget some pics too.

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no studs. i decided studs, cam, porting and ceramic coating had to wait for round 2. i knew that stuff was gunna blow my budget.

with that in mind i'm keeping boost to 15 psi or less.

i'm looking forward to it running even more than yall. i'm waiting on my turbo and making an intake elbow the way i want. i also decided that the 2.5" pipes i got for my intercooler plumbing are too small. i thought 3" would be too hard to fit. but i really think i need 3" now. i'll use the 2.5 stuff for my crossover piping and up pipe in round 2.

things left:
replace fuel filter
purge fuel system
plumb gauges
weld turbo elbow
mount turbo
fit down-pipe
make intake hat
make inter-cooler pipes

posting stuff for sale and ordering new intercooler piping and boots.

94f450

Reaction score
Im gonna be very interested in this build as its similar to what I want to do. Keep us updated!

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no studs. i decided studs, cam, porting and ceramic coating had to wait for round 2. i knew that stuff was gunna blow my budget.

with that in mind i'm keeping boost to 15 psi or less.

i'm looking forward to it running even more than yall. i'm waiting on my turbo and making an intake elbow the way i want. i also decided that the 2.5" pipes i got for my intercooler plumbing are too small. i thought 3" would be too hard to fit. but i really think i need 3" now. i'll use the 2.5 stuff for my crossover piping and up pipe in round 2.

things left:
replace fuel filter
purge fuel system
plumb gauges
weld turbo elbow
mount turbo
fit down-pipe
make intake hat
make inter-cooler pipes

posting stuff for sale and ordering new intercooler piping and boots.

Man you are doing pretty much everything that I have done to my truck so far. Lol. Except that I have not upgraded my turbo at all other than the ATS dp upgrade. I also have 3" intercooler piping which works really well for me and have limited boost to only 15 psi as well cus I don't have studs either. That is until I have studs. Then I will bump it up to 20 psi.

I look forward to your videos of it. ;Sweet

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity what is your budget for Part 1 of this build? I would like to make some of these upgrades but dont have a good idea for cost.

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i haven't been keeping an exact count but from memory, don;t hold me to this:

moose pump core - 300
moose pump - 250
moose misters - 1000
intercooler - 150
intercooler pipes - 150
intercooler boots - 75
turbo rebuild - 420
intake hat - 50
exhaust system - 350
3" v-band ends and clamp - 20
air filter - 20

about 2800 not including things i bought twice. not including shipping. also i used stainless for everything. so you could really save some with aluminized. also i haven't sold any of the factory turbo parts that should help a little. some for pump, downpipe, intake hat, intake box.

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shoot i forgot to post pictures again:

i had to weld nuts into the core support. the studs i wanted to used would have made it too hard to get everything lined up. when you get the intercooler in place just run 1/2" bolts through them. this lets me use the factory bushings on the upper mount so everything is rubber mounted.
You must be registered for see images attach

it got fully welded in later no pictures of that.

here is where the intake boots ended up on the engine side of the core support.

i couldn't get for enough away to get a full picture

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score
i haven't been keeping an exact count but from memory, don;t hold me to this:

moose pump core - 300
moose pump - 250
moose misters - 1000
intercooler - 150
intercooler pipes - 150
intercooler boots - 75
turbo rebuild - 420
intake hat - 50
exhaust system - 350
3" v-band ends and clamp - 20
air filter - 20

about 2800 not including things i bought twice. not including shipping. also i used stainless for everything. so you could really save some with aluminized. also i haven't sold any of the factory turbo parts that should help a little. some for pump, downpipe, intake hat, intake box.

Thanks for the info! Could you post some pics of your homemade 3" down pipe? Did you have to modify the firewall?

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Could you post some pics of your homemade 3" down pipe? Did you have to modify the firewall?

it's not home made. i used a power stroke turbo back exhaust. and i just cut the top bend out of the downpipe and welded a 3" v-band and chopped the factory exhaust elbow to fit a 3" v-band insted of the factory 2.25" one. pictures soon.

edit: i guess that is kinda home made. o and i did the usual pinch seam hammering but that's it. same thing you have to do with all the aftermarket downpipes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online