Muffler Opinions

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
I know this subject has probably been beat to death but I would like some forum members opinions.

I have a 93 F250 7.3 Factory Turbo and am going to a larger downpipe. I'm thinking at this point I will be going to a 3 1/2" - 4" exhaust from the downpipe on back. I know alot of you guys straight pipe the exhaust all the way out the back but I'm concerned it will be too loud and sound like a gasser. I would like the truck to have a nice rumble and still sound like a diesel without being stupid loud and sounding like a drag car.

For those of you that are running mufflers, what are your thoughts on dynomax, walker, flowmaster, etc that will work on 3 1/2" - 4" exhaust with no flow restrictions ???

Any thoughts and opinions would be helpful.... Thanks,,,,,,,,

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I have heard many people say that a turbo makes the exhaust plenty bearable even if straight piped

i dont think there is much you can do to make these truck not sound like big block gassers though

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Muffler will kill turbo whistle, will lower performance, and will increase EGT. My truck was just as loud or louder N/A with the cherry bomb as it is with the turbo and 3" straightpipe. I have run 3000 rpm by the cops (Detroit, not home in hick town) with out so much as a second look.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Muffler will kill turbo whistle, will lower performance, and will increase EGT. My truck was just as loud or louder N/A with the cherry bomb as it is with the turbo and 3" straightpipe. I have run 3000 rpm by the cops (Detroit, not home in hick town) with out so much as a second look.

I don't see where a straight through design muffler will affect performance by much and if it does I doubt it would be very noticeable. Seems like it would'nt cause much of an issue as long as the inlet and outlet are the same size as the exhaust. You are probably correct in the fact that it would kill the turbo whistle but I'm not all that concerned about hearing the whistle.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I had the ATS elbow upgrade 3" DP and 3" exhaust all the way out the back and it was barelly any louder and if you rolled the windows up you couldn't hear it at all

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
I had the ATS elbow upgrade 3" DP and 3" exhaust all the way out the back and it was barelly any louder and if you rolled the windows up you couldn't hear it at all

That's what I'm trying to figure out. Seems some guys say the straight pipe with no muffler is pretty loud and others say it's just a little louder then stock. I would just assume not spend the $$$ on a muffler but I'm trying to get some good feedback on how loud it would be with or without a muffler so I can make a good decision.

I'm thinking 3 1/2" - 4" from downpipe on out the back. Wondering how loud it would be straight piped as opposed to having a straight through muffler.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Just do the straight pipe, and if its too loud, its easy to add a muffler.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Just do the straight pipe, and if its too loud, its easy to add a muffler.

What he said!^^^

That would be my suggestions as well, get the 4" straight pipe all the way out the back and see how you like it. I guarantee you will, its not too loud especially in the cab, Then if you want to add a straight through muffler all you have to do is slice the pipe, get a 4" Straight through muffler, 2 Stainless Steel band Clamps and clamp it in. You could also keep the piece of pipe that you cut out and swap it out with the muffler if you want to do some hotroddng.

My Brother did this with one of his PSD's it worked out well, He would add the muffler when he took a trip with pulling the 5ver with the family, then put the straight pipe in when he got back form the trips. With the band clamps it only takes about 15 minutes to do the swap.

Last edited:

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
What he said!^^^

That would my suggestions as well, get the 4" straight pipe all the way out the back and see how you like it. I guarantee you will, its not too loud especially in the cab, Then if you want to add a straight through muffler all you have to do is slice the pipe, get a 4" Straight through muffler, 2 Stainless Steel band Clamps and clamp it in. You could also keep the piece of pipe that you cut out and swap it out with the muffler if you want to do some hotroddng.

My Brother did this with one of his PSD's it worked out well, He would add the muffler when he took a trip with pulling the 5ver with the family, then put the straight pipe in when he got back form the trips. With the band clamps it only takes about 15 minutes to do the swap.

Thanks Darrin....... Maybe that's what I'll do. I don't want to be swapping pipe with a muffler all the time, although I suppose that would work but I'm just to lazy to mess with it. I'm just hoping to get it the way I like it the first time, that's why I'm asking so many questions.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a walker BTM and i like it. I know a lot of PSD guys have also swapped it in. Its a straight through design and is huge.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I been thinking about building a Y and use an air cylinder to move the flap and use it to switch between straight pipe and muffler on the fly. Its not to loud for us but with the stacks when we have someone with us its a little hard for them to hear us in the front

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a 3.5" exhaust on my truck with the tail piece from a used Banks exhaust to go over the axle. The issue I encountered was resonance at highway speed due to the diameter and the length of straight pipe under the cab and bed. I added a straight thru 8-1/2" x 30" muffler with centered 3.5" inlet and outlet from unitedmuffler.com.

The person I spoke with at United said if I had gone with 4" diameter or had not had such a long straight section of pipe, it would have been fine with out the muffler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7