Muffler Opinions

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
I'm thinking to remove the pipes and muffler and just build a transition section between the ends of the manifolds and 4" pipes and go up each side of my '86 F350, behind the cab corners. I have to see if I have enough clearance between the dump bed and the back, at least 6" so I can have a double wall section going up with holes for ventilation. I wonder if it will be too loud.:sly

Anyone done something like that?

About the transition section: Is there something already made for this purpose in the market?

Thanks,
Burt.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
they make resonators so you dont have to buy a muffler, they are basically just a coffee can stuffed with packing and bolted on they only cost like $40 i think

and im also thinking about the dual side pipe idea only with some trimmed up 6" aussie cut stacks.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My recommendation is to slap on a Walker 21172 and run the exhaust out in front of the rear wheel.

That muffler doesn't look like much but trust me- you'll love it. I've had at least 4 different mufflers on my truck and have been playing with the exhaust nearly constantly and that was the best sounding setup, by far. The turbo sounded great and at certain RPM's the exhaust gets this growl to it that's actually reminiscient of a cummins.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My recommendation is to slap on a Walker 21172 and run the exhaust out in front of the rear wheel.

That muffler doesn't look like much but trust me- you'll love it. I've had at least 4 different mufflers on my truck and have been playing with the exhaust nearly constantly and that was the best sounding setup, by far. The turbo sounded great and at certain RPM's the exhaust gets this growl to it that's actually reminiscient of a cummins.

Can you still hear the turbo spooling with this muffler installed? Did you still get the poping when you left off the gas?

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The turbo is about all you hear most of the time, and I didn't get any popping, no (but then I don't think I've ever noticed any popping on my truck). You get a little bit of the "jake brake" sound.

This is with a 3" downpipe and 4" exhaust BTW.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of or use the Arrow muffler ?? Checked one out yesterday on a IDI and it sounded awsome........... Great turbo sound as well.........

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't really know much about them, they supposedly use some turbine design to flow better or something, but im not sure. I think its a gimmick. I loved my flowmaster, i love the walker i have on it now.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
I don't really know much about them, they supposedly use some turbine design to flow better or something, but im not sure. I think its a gimmick. I loved my flowmaster, i love the walker i have on it now.

Don't know about the perfomance factor but the sound was great and you could really hear the turbo whistle...........

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Aeroturbines are something like $130, that turned me off to them real quick...

My buddy owns a muffler shop and he is fabbing my exhaust. He can get me a brand new 4" Aero turbine for $90.00. Still debating between that and straight pipe.