Modified IDI to run on WVO or WMO

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Ok guys, as promised here is the rundown of my MWO/WVO setup.

The drawing shows how I have things rigged, and it’s all controlled by the stock dual tank switch. When its all said and done, what I ended up with is one filter that is only used with the rear / garbage tank, and one filter that is only used with the front diesel only tank. The filter that works with the garbage tank is heated via a copper coil hooked to a heater hose that I tightly wrapped around the filter. The copper coil is held tightly to the filter by a ‘C’ shaped piece of aluminum that is bolted around the coil. And finally the whole filter is covered with foil backed insulation to keep the heat in. To allow me to switch between the two filters, I wired an extra stock tank switcher valve directly inline with the stock wiring. So when I flick the switch in the cab, both valves are switched to their respective positions.

The other pictures show my filling station setup. It’s just a 55gallon barrel that once held soy sauce. I have a long piece of copper tubing for the pickup. This is hooked to the pump. On the output side of the pump is a 3way valve. If I have the lever in one position, I’m in mixing mode. In this mode oil is pulled from the bottom of the tank and dumped right back in at the top. If I throw the lever the other way the oil is directed through a 30 micron filter, and then into a hose that I just hang into my rear tank.

So far I have been focusing on WMO. This is what I plan to burn during the winter months. I hope to venture into WVO in the spring, and I believe I’ll be able to use everything I have put together just the same. And since I plan on WVO for summer months only, I don’t even plan to heat the rear / garbage tank.

This is how I’m preparing my WMO for use. Basically through trial and error, I’ve found the best thing to do is thin it down 12 parts WMO, and 1 part mineral spirits. This gives the oil a viscosity very similar to hydraulic oil. It makes it nice and thin. Since it is so thin, it’s much easier to filter, and I believe it burns better since it will produce a better pattern out of the injectors. Mineral spirits only cost $6 per gallon, so that’s 13 gallons of fuel for 6 bucks. 46 cents per gallon aint bad. So far, I’ve successfully burned 40gallons of my 100% WMO mix. I start up and shut down on good ole #2, and with the dual filter setup it only takes 3 minutes to totally purge from garbage to diesel. I only notice more smoke in 1 situation with this setup. If I’m idling at a stop light long enough for the EGTs to get down below 300°, when the light turns green I’ll leave a moderate grey cloud when I put in the clutch and take my foot off the accelerator for my 1st to 2nd gear shift. The same thing happens on my 2nd to 3rd gear shift though it’s a much smaller cloud of gray. Other than that, the truck loves this stuff. As long as the engine is warmed up I think it actually runs better. And I’m seeing about a 10% increase in fuel mileage.

Am I ruining my IP and injectors? Dunno, prolly. Am I coking up the inside of my engine with all that extra carbon. Dunno, prolly. But as we know, an entire fuel system for an IDI can run as low as $600. So if I foul something up beyond repair, It wont be fun, but it wont break me either.

Attachments

• fs1.jpg
    fs1.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 51
  • fs2.jpg
    fs2.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 64
  • wmo wvo conversion.JPG
    wmo wvo conversion.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Reaction score
Dog gone Rob, do you ever sit still?

I've got one of those soy sauce barrels out in the shop as well, but mine hasn't inspired me quite the same as yours.

You're the man...thanks for letting us all know your results. Curious to see how the winter works out for you.

Paul

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rob-
you want a rebuildable IP and a set of lines? If you are still running a late model ext. adj. screw IP, you might want to rebuild another one and run it while you are being a WMO lab rat. That way you aren't turning a hard to come by IP into junk on your experiment.
If you're interested, PM me a snailmail addy and I can ship you one with lines IF you throw for the ship from CA.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
That is a cool setup. Now I have a question, what hold you from making bio-d since you alrady have the wvo filtered? with b-d you dont need to modify the fuel system, right.

thank you, Exekiel.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Calvin, PM sent. Those are some good words of reason / wisdom / advice.

You bet Paul.
I'll do my best to keep you guys honestly informed. Just because I’ve done this, and have 40 gallons under my belt doesn’t mean squat. IP or injector failure could be right around the corner. We’ll see…

I have to give credit where credit is due though. I got this idea at the 04 IDI weekend. Scooter AKA 94turbo at TDS was running on straight WMO. As far as I know, he was just filtering it, not thinning it, and he would just switch over to it when the truck was warm. No fuel system modifications that I was aware of. So he was my inspiration, and the original Lab Rat. Hats off to ya Scooter.

Exekiel.
Your right. I’m not far from being able to produce biodiesel with this setup. I’ve done much research and given it a lot of thought. I’ve actually made a few small test batches. That’s sort of my thinking behind this, I want to be able to run as many different fuels as I can. Waste motor oil, waste veggy oil, biodiesel, diesel… etc… I do think that the gelling point of biodiesel is at a fairly high temperature though. Like 36° or so? So while you don’t really need any fuel system mods, I think that in the winter you would still need a way to heat it slightly. Or blend it with diesel.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scooter (94Turbo) really is breaking some ground. Also, he's our only Iowa member that I'm aware of, so a proper introduction is in order.

Here is Scooter leaning against his truck. He's the guy in front, not with the Ford shirt on.

HERE is Scooter again, with Mark and Paul looking on. Notice the casual stance with his ankles crossed. He's a very relaxed dude.

Scooter is from Iowa. Notice how people from Iowa have no head. Just arms and legs.

People from Iowa like to sleep with their waste motor oil. It's like a security blanket. Obviously the pillows keep the tank from rolling backwards, since Iowan's have no need for pillows.

Here is Scooters wife (I think her name was Kathy), with a man I don't recognize. We can only assume that neither are originally from Iowa, since they have heads.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
F350camper said:
I’m not far from being able to produce biodiesel with this setup. I’ve done much research and given it a lot of thought. I’ve actually made a few small test batches. That’s sort of my thinking behind this, I want to be able to run as many different fuels as I can. Waste motor oil, waste veggy oil, biodiesel, diesel… etc… I do think that the gelling point of biodiesel is at a fairly high temperature though. Like 36° or so? So while you don’t really need any fuel system mods, I think that in the winter you would still need a way to heat it slightly. Or blend it with diesel.

I have been reading this stuff for a few months now and i'd like to start making my own b-d and mix it 50/50 with d2 that way it will save me half on that. I'm still cheking wath to do with my wmo i save it but dont know about using it. Please post back if possible your plans for your wvo filtration system with pics if not much asking. parts,etc.

Thank you.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking seriously about the WVO route. At $3.19/gal, something has to give....I do have a couple extra front tanks and I am going to drop an actual heater core into the tank to warm up the gunk. Besides running heater hose to the front tank is a much easier proposition than fighting it all the way to the rear. Also, I will be wiring in a temp probe into the tank to make sure the stuff is toasty before heading to the IP......

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
funny....
a year or two, if someone posted about adding WMO or ATF to thier diesel, the response would be STRONGLY against it.
even WVO has a hot/cold history. It seems there are so many factors that can totally screw things up.

I feel alot of people here are taking chances with thier well cared for trucks, these chances wouldn't have been taken when fuel was even $2 a gallon.

biodiesel is time tested, and with the exception of a few fuel lines, and one or two fuel filters, it's totally harmless, and if anything helps the engine.

is $.75 a gallon (my cost figureing electricity and all) that bad?
I say make biodiesel and keep tricking out these old dogs.

rant out.
drew

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My situation is a little different. Firstly, when I was running an active towing business, spare parts was a necessity. Now, I have a mountain of spare parts for two trucks. One is in TX the other is my TX/CA commuter. since i don't have to maintain a CHP level of readiness, I can now experiment with feul cocktails. When the price of feul was at $1-$1.50, there was no justification for the gamble, now with feul at $3.00 with no relief in sight, I am more willing to try alternatives. Out here, bio-d is no cheaper than the real thing, so I am less inclined to try the stuff. Used oil I have a surplus of, and the same goes to access to fryer grease. As long as I have backup parts, I don't have an issue with the gamble.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
DeepRoots said:
funny....
a year or two, if someone posted about adding WMO or ATF to thier diesel, the response would be STRONGLY against it.
even WVO has a hot/cold history. It seems there are so many factors that can totally screw things up.

I feel alot of people here are taking chances with thier well cared for trucks, these chances wouldn't have been taken when fuel was even $2 a gallon.

biodiesel is time tested, and with the exception of a few fuel lines, and one or two fuel filters, it's totally harmless, and if anything helps the engine.

is $.75 a gallon (my cost figureing electricity and all) that bad?
I say make biodiesel and keep tricking out these old dogs.

rant out.
drew

You're totally right. And you have described my thinking to a 'T'. I'm just experimenting because I can. And I have vowed that they have sold me my last gallon of fuel. ;Sweet (except for changing out my start up and shut down tank every 6 months to a year)

My goal is to be able to run on as many different fuels as I can so I can be as flexible as I have to be. BIO, WMO, WVO, ATF, etc... Bring it on. :draw I'm not trying to get 300,000 miles out of my engine. If I get 50k without any major surgery, I’ll be ahead of the game and happy. :D I think we are just starting to see the design and simplicity of these older trucks really start to pay off.

Bottom line is I agree with you. I think BIO is better and safer. For the truck and the environment. I plan dabble in that as well.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My feeling is that now, since a rebuilt injection pump is cheaper than 4 fill ups, the risk is minimal.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
Towcat, if you have used fryer grease, than biodiesel is cheaper (I'm talking about making it, not buying it). Even if methanol costs $3 a gallon, that sets the cost at $.75 for finished product.

I have relied on all of you time and again for helping me get through a few problems with my engine.

However I am pretty good at making biodiesel. Hmmm, maybe I should take some pictures and show my bio-refinery that I set up for about $100.

Also, run some searches in the forum
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=447609751
they've done alot of the experiments already.

F35camper, I'm with ya buddy.
I run a small farm and greenhouse operation. I also do contracting off the farm.
My greenhouses used 4,000gallons of propane a year to heat. When it was $.75 a gallon, I never thought twice about it. Last year it was $1.25 and so I dubbed the winter of 2004/2005 and the whole year of '05 as "Damn the Arab Year"

I started a small timber company, hiring myself out ($40 an hour) for chainsaw work, and was running the truck on bioD.
Ended up burning wet wood, but we only used 400gallons of propane the whole year. This year we hope (with better wood) to do away with fossil fuel heat. (400 gallons isn't bad for 21,000sq ft of greenhouses, and homemade wood stoves).

anyway, was just sharing a point of view. Looking forward to seeing alot of these experiments just the same, keep everyone posted.
Drew

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
DeepRoots said:
anyway, was just sharing a point of view. Looking forward to seeing alot of these experiments just the same, keep everyone posted.
Drew

Thanks for your point of view, I think what your saying makes a lot of sense.

Mel, I really did mean to put this in the alt fuel forum. Sorry about this miss-post.

First snag -- my makeshift heated filter isn’t working nearly as well as I had hoped. I just ordered a coolant heated filter head and I'm hoping for better results.

Last edited: