Modified IDI to run on WVO or WMO

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really consider this to be more of an IDI related thread, then a general alternative fuel thread, since the IDI has specific fuel requirments that other direct injected diesels may not. This is not a theoretical discussion, but a discussion about an IDI related mod and should stay here.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Rob,
I've been reading with great interest about your alt fueled truck. I, too, would like to do something along the same lines. A couple of thigs that I thought of are, why add a second tank selector switch? Could you just wires the 2nd tank selector valve off of the 1st one?

Another thing, where did you mount the second fuel filter and how did you run all of the extra plumbing? I was thinking on my truck, to run the garbage tank fuel through the trans cooler in my radiator. That should warm it to 190' or so. In place of the raditor trans cooler, I was going to install an 18,000 lb trans cooler in front of the radiator. I noticed on your truck its a 5 speed, so it might be cost prohibited to buy a radiator.

Right now, I'm just getting set up to run 2 gallons of waste oil with each fill up. I need to get a filter and some containers to mix it. I could cut my fuel bill by75% or more if I went with your method, though. Where did you get your filters? I'm thinking of stopping by a Tractor Supply store on my way home from work and take a look. Thanks,
John H

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
160k87F250 said:
... why add a second tank selector switch? Could you just wire the 2nd tank selector valve off of the 1st one?
You got it, that's exactly what I did. I prolly didn’t make that totally clear.

160k87F250 said:
... Another thing, where did you mount the second fuel filter and how did you run all of the extra plumbing? I was thinking on my truck, to run the garbage tank fuel through the trans cooler in my radiator. That should warm it to 190' or so. In place of the raditor trans cooler, I was going to install an 18,000 lb trans cooler in front of the radiator. I noticed on your truck its a 5 speed, so it might be cost prohibited to buy a radiator.
I’ll take some pics of the plumbing and extra filter when I get a chance and after I change some things around. I still don’t have things quite right, and I'm working on a heat exchanger to further heat up the oil. Not a bad Idea you have for the trans cooler. I'd be curious to hear how much that will heat things up.

I also plan to install a temp gauge as Towcat mentioned. From what I've been reading, I really think I need to be injecting the garbage at 150° or more for a good burn. I dont think I'm even close right now.

The filter in the truck is just another stock one. But that will be changing soon. Again, I'll post more detail in a week or so. But it's mounted off the passenger side fender. The filter in the garage is a whole-house filter housing. I bought it at Home Depot for $16. And the current filter I'm running in it is a paper whole house filter element that’s good to 30 microns. In my opinion this is too coarse. So I plan to add a 2nd filter, probly the garbage one that I currently have in the truck. So it'll filter 30 microns through the 1st filter, and 10mic through the second fuel filter. and then end up in the tank.

HiWayMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
That is a cool setup. Now I have a question, what hold you from making bio-d since you alrady have the wvo filtered? with b-d you dont need to modify the fuel system, right.

thank you, Exekiel.

Isn't wvo the same as biodiesel? I'm not trying to be a smart a--. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the wvo-svo- biodiesel thing... Thanks.

Al

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HiWayMan said:
Isn't wvo the same as biodiesel?
WVO is one of the key ingredients of biodiesel. However, there are other chemicals added to the mix to make it into biodiesel that can be run in an unmodified fuel system. I don't remember what exactly the other chemicals are, but while WVO makes up most of the biodiesel brew, it's not alone...

Clear as mud? ;)

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Hmmm, maybe I should take some pictures and show my bio-refinery that I set up for about $100.
[/QUOTE]

Yes please do it. Thank you.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
cool, 165 gallons of methanol is arriving at the farm this tuesday or so. I'll do a few photo shoots of bio-creation.

afraid I'll have to do it in the "biodiesel forum" tho

HiWayMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
WVO is one of the key ingredients of biodiesel. However, there are other chemicals added to the mix to make it into biodiesel that can be run in an unmodified fuel system. I don't remember what exactly the other chemicals are, but while WVO makes up most of the biodiesel brew, it's not alone...

Clear as mud? ;)

Yep, clear as mud... From what I gather the verdict is still out on whether or not it's good for our trucks. When the "best brew" is found, then I will feel comfortable running it.. Or, when I can get an old beater that I don't mind tearing up... Thank you for the reply though..

Al

Last edited:

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
hiwayman,
abrieviated version of biodiesel:
take Vegetable oil (be in used or new)
add in methanol and Lye

the methanol/lye mix settles out glycerin.
you are left with something that has similiar viscosity, cetane, etc to diesel....
WVO still have soaps/glycerin in it.

our engines are not meant to run on Vegetable oil or glycerin.
in the case of vegetable oil, the burn isn't clean enough.
I'm sure you've fried something in a pan. When you are done and it cools down, what does that vegetable oil look like? ok, now imagine that in your ip/cylinders/injectors.

HiWayMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in the case of vegetable oil said:
That makes perfect sense to me but there seems to be people out there running it with no problems.. Just adds to the curiousity(sp) about the fuel. I think (read hope) that a good mixture can be found soon that works good in our rigs.... A good mixture meaning lots of lubricity, good availability, and a set up that won't blow up our garage like a $5 **** lab...

Al

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
DeepRoots said:
take Vegetable oil (be in used or new)
add in methanol and lye.

In the case of vegetable oil, the burn isn't clean enough.
I'm sure you've fried something in a pan. When you are done and it cools down, what does that vegetable oil look like? ok, now imagine that in your ip/cylinders/injectors.

Isn't that why you add **** and lye, cook it, then wash it to get rid of the lye and harmful stuff that causes it to solidify? Or is that what bio-diesel is? Or are you just talking about running on pure veggie oil compared to bio-diesel?
John H

sassyrel

Reaction score
lesseee--when you heat up veg oil--285--to cook stuff--ya you get residuals---how hot is it inside the combustion chamber---2800--or fairly close--how much residual you think there is after that hot burn--and thats when your just driving down the road--what about those of us that have a turbo--and start kicking the boost--runnning hotter yet?????? 94 turbo here---- :Sly :Sly and i dint like paying the diesel prices before it even went up--oil cos!!!!!!! :puke:

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
hiwayman, there are no problems running biodiesel.

the only exceptions are certain rubber components will get soft with B100 usage.
on my truck, the only things that have gotten soft/leaked were the orings on the return lines. at $.15 an oring, I'm not too worried :)

check out the biodiesel forum
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=447609751

also check out the main page. it'll answer all of your questions better than I can.

dp

HiWayMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DeepRoots said:
hiwayman, there are no problems running biodiesel.

the only exceptions are certain rubber components will get soft with B100 usage.
on my truck, the only things that have gotten soft/leaked were the orings on the return lines. at $.15 an oring, I'm not too worried :)

check out the biodiesel forum
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=447609751

also check out the main page. it'll answer all of your questions better than I can.

dp

Thanks for the link.. How long have you been running BD in your truck?

Al

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
sassyrel said:
lesseee--when you heat up veg oil--285--to cook stuff--ya you get residuals

How much of that residue is from the stuff you are cooking? I think veg oil burns cleaner then you think. I am going to collect a few tin cans, heat up some veg oil and diesel, then burn them and see what is left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online