manifolds

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys so iam going to make some headers for my truck and iam tinking about relocating the turbo for to make access alot easier.

the ? i have is i plan to mount the turbo on the pass side i would like to make both manifold equal in length but do u guys think it will make a big difference if they werent:dunno

thanks

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
hey guys so iam going to make some headers for my truck and iam tinking about relocating the turbo for to make access alot easier.

the ? i have is i plan to mount the turbo on the pass side i would like to make both manifold equal in length but do u guys think it will make a big difference if they werent:dunno

thanks

which turbo are you using:D

Black dawg

Reaction score
Ive always thought it would be cool to build a set of 180 degree style, it would really pulse the turbo.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on this but look at the manifolds we use first. The drivers side is flow upsweep. The passenger side is flow down sweep. That may chage your thoughts about making this work.

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well my plan is to make the tow sides as close to equal length and keep the two sides sepparate untill the meet at the turbo flange

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
i was thinking about doing a remote mount setup after y pipe less exhaust work but more intake piping too idk what to do i have a turbo off a turbo coupe thunderbird so tradional setup will not work

19jackal90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when in doubt of room hack the firewall, run the driver side over the top of the trans but wrap it so you dont fry anything. i was thinking of re-inventing the driver side manifold due to the sudden downward bend at the flange. maybe you should run dual 4bt turbos one on each bank, 4bt is almost the same displacement as one bank.

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think iam going to have too many issues with room iam mostly worried about being able to make each bank equal length so one half doesent run better than the other like the setup is now with my banks the drivers side has to travel quite a bit farther before it gets to the turbo as compared to the pass side, i like the true duals idea but iam not only going for easy access to the turbo and everything elce it will make my IC install alot more simple but idk i guess we will find out when i start

19jackal90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why not just measure it out to see how much you need to get from the driver side b4 freaking out about equal lengths. the more bends u put into the pass side will offset the length needed to equal the flow between the two up pipes.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I run the Banks sidewinder wastegagted turbo. The manifolds are what came stock on the truck but... The drivers side needs the crossover pipe to reach the turbo... The passenger side is just a sharp turn to the turbo. The exhaust travels farther from the drivers side than the passenger side to reach the turbo. It runs fine. I'm not seeing why you want to make equal length exhaust from each bank to the tubro... I'll listen to what you are talking about.... I just don't feel we have a problem with the system we have.... Other than the drivers side tight restrictive turn at the exit end..

cetanefreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there has been a lot of experimenting with headers for the 5.9 cummins, and the consensus is that in a turbocharged application, there is such a minuscule benefit to an equal length header that it's not worth the bother.

without spending literally hours on a dyno we could not tell the difference between them.

I know that's a different engine, but I think the principle should still apply here.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a turbo the drive pressure in the manifolds negates any gain by having headers .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk