Lucky Larue? I searched.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Can't find the luckey Larue mod. Find people talking about it, but nuthin on what it is, or how to do it.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Thanks for the link.
I'm not sure I want to do that. Any way of rebuilding the DMF as designed?
Thanks!

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could probably rebuild if you were able to find a source for a comparable spring. The problem would be matching the spring rate, my bet is that since the DMF wasn't made to be serviced, the spring rate is not published.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Actually, the part I think would be hard is the rubber spring holder. You can measure spring rates. If it could be done, people would be doing it.

I'm not convinced at all that the lucky mod is an good answer either.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the lucky mod is the same as buying a standard flywheel kit. Just without the expense of the flywheel.

Either way will leave you with transmission noise and the need to use a spring hub clutch disk.

The only other option is to get a new DMF.

Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked and couln't find any part numbers or information about changing out the springs and rubbers in the factory service manual.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Mr_Roboto said:
Well the lucky mod is the same as buying a standard flywheel kit. Just without the expense of the flywheel.

Either way will leave you with transmission noise and the need to use a spring hub clutch disk.

The only other option is to get a new DMF.

This was my point. The lucky mod costs a lot more than $5 because you have to replace the clutch. If you don't, all hell can break loose.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was always wary of the "cheap" mods. Like the PS "$7 AIC mod" that fried my PCM.

Obviously you need to change the clutch disk, which is not free. But anybody with mechanical knowledge knows there needs to be springs "somewhere" to take up driveline torsion.

sassyrel

Reaction score
and--priced a smf flywheel lately--which is exactly what the luck mod does-------!!!!!!!! grab your shorts--disc is far cheaper than a flywheel--

82fordtruck

Reaction score
sassyrel said:
and--priced a smf flywheel lately--which is exactly what the luck mod does-------!!!!!!!! grab your shorts--disc is far cheaper than a flywheel--

priced one today. $150 difference, and you can not worry about it. I know which one I'll choose.

Besides, you are supposed to surface the flywheel when installing a new clutch, so half that - if not all of it is eaten up by machine work and time to mess with it. You also get a new pilot bushing and throwout bearing with a kit.

I just don't think it's worth it.

Jeff - I tried to rebuild one once. You're wasting your time, unless those rubber keepers are in good shape. You may be able to get the springs from an industrial supply house. Clutchcity.com has new DMF's for $700, I believe. Otherwise get a SMF or do this mod.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not available from International. They probably were not foolish enough to try and mate their beast to an alluminum German transmission.

As for you nay-sayers about the Lucky Mod, you should try and live a little! :)

When I did mine, I found I already had a disc with springs, so it really was a $5.00 mod. There is no need to machine a flywheel if it is in good shape already. I can't see why there is such resistance to a solution that actually works. I've had it in there for years now, and it pulled 16K to Ohio, Georgia, and several other places that are all ******* trucks. Next weekend it will pull that 16K to Indiana. What's so hard about this decision?