Lots of oil in my intake and intercooler tubes and intake tube.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys I am getting lots of oil in my intercooler charge tubes and the intake tube. I cannot tell whether it is coming from the CDR or the turbo leaking etc. When I towed with it last time it was teh first time with the intercooler and the wategate was blocked. It was running pretty warm and pulled in at a rest stop to use the restroom and I have oil spots all over the underside of the hood and it was blowing out of the intake hat and the block. I put a lot of rtv on all of this but it has since started to leak oil out past the intake had seal.

What could be causeing this etc? The truck seems to run as good as it ever has, but I do not remember has this much oil blow by. I have tried a RDT and all that does is cause my seals to leak.

What gives?

Black dawg

Reaction score
MIne is the same way, well not blowing oil out, intercooler gets quite a bit of oil in it. I have recently turned down my pump to where I make about 6psi boost. This seems to have cut down on the oily intake/intercooler. These motors have loads of blowby when they are in good shape, adding boost/power makes it much worse.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some oil in the intake tract is to be expected if you have a CDR in the system. RTV is NOT sufficient to seal the intake hat to the intake manifold. I recommend using a large square cut o-ring from McMaster carr. You can get them in the correct 5 1/8" (I believe thats right anyhow) diameter, with a 1/4"thickness, square cut, viton rubber which is impervious to oil/diesel fuel etc. I run one on mine, at 10+ PSI with NO leakage around the intake hat.

Ryan

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeh the RTV was a roadside fix. From MCmaster carr I cannot seem to find the square o rings in viton. Here is the oring page.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i got some seals for the intake, should be going in soon. Is it possible this is a turbo seal going bad? or is it possible that the cdr has a bad diaphragm?

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
it's very possible for the CDR to have a bad diaphragm. How old is it?
You can give cleaning it a try. If it's not dead, that may help.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have an aftermarket Banks turbo.
Where is your CDR mounted?
Does turbo oil drain into the intake valley pan? If so, did you punch holes in the intake valley pan baffle where the original CDR was?

Is your CDR like this below?

Attachments

• DVC01529.JPG
    DVC01529.JPG
    282.9 KB · Views: 17
  • DVC01530.JPG
    DVC01530.JPG
    274.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DVC01526.JPG
    DVC01526.JPG
    287.9 KB · Views: 15

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best way to find out where your oil is coming from, is to run it naturally aspirated and just let your turbo output go into a hose. Block off the CDR and just go with a road draft tube (if you ran an RDT and it blew out your seals, you didn't do it right!). This way, your turbo oil, crankcase blow by and intake air are all isolated from one another. Once you see that your turbo is not blowing oil, then you can suspect the CDR is feeding it back into the system.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best way to find out where your oil is coming from, is to run it naturally aspirated and just let your turbo output go into a hose. Block off the CDR and just go with a road draft tube (if you ran an RDT and it blew out your seals, you didn't do it right!). This way, your turbo oil, crankcase blow by and intake air are all isolated from one another. Once you see that your turbo is not blowing oil, then you can suspect the CDR is feeding it back into the system.

ran it up and over my ac pump and down in front of the axle, and tried it down by the rear of the front fender. no dice. Tried the biggest heater hose my store has, pretty sure it was 1 in.

Would this work for RDT?http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=24957-104-RVPN&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3419130&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

if not please post a link

Wouldhttp://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=24957-104-RVPN&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3419130&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1 work for RDT?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had to bet, I'd say that hose kinked on you and that's what blew out your seals. You can't use cheap vinyl hose, and heater hose is probably too small. I forget what I use, but it's black rubber and looks like radiator hose. It fits on the Banks adapter.

You can see it here. It's zip tied to the heater hose bracket on the alternator.

You must be registered for see images

In this view it is the hose going over the top radiator hose.

Here you can see it coming off the Banks adapter.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I checked. the tube I was using is 1" id hose? is that enough? and should it be slash cut on the bottom? and where should to drop down to on the truck?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A streight cut on the hose is fine. Just angle it back a tad. Not sure why you had an issue then. 1" is fine.