Looking for info on an 855 Cummins

Crash5291

Reaction score
Looking for what this lever dose is the pic

Click to enlarge (65k)
You must be registered for see images

the lever is attached to a shaft that enters the block just below the head(s) i think it runs full length but im not sure.

when you pull it it feels like it actuating something...

there is a code on the side of the block that says MG25239 in behind the injection pump.

the lever is my main wonder though. told its 400HP

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Joe

Whit

Reaction score
I believe thats a compression release...................pull the lever and someone hits the starter...................if yer batteries are almost dead ya can still get it started

I think thats what it is anyway .......had one on a 400 big cam Cummins

colotow

I refuse to grow up
Reaction score
one thing about cummins. you will need to get the "CPL" (control parts list) number off the data plate, should be on the aux drive housing (where the fuel pump and air compressor are driven from) this will be a 4 digit number, no letters.

cummins won't be able to tell you anything about it without that, as far as build options, power level, etc. this will even vary from truck to truck, it also specs things like coolant lines and fuel lines from one brand of truck to another, ie the same engine in a pete will have a different cpl from one in a kenworth.

Neil

Reaction score
Looking for what this lever dose is the pic

Click to enlarge (65k)
You must be registered for see images

the lever is attached to a shaft that enters the block just below the head(s) i think it runs full length but im not sure.

when you pull it it feels like it actuating something...

there is a code on the side of the block that says MG25239 in behind the injection pump.

the lever is my main wonder though. told its 400HP

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Joe

No doubt about it, the lever is a compression release. When you pull it, it rotates and lifts up on the collars in the push rods for the exhaust valves causing the valves to be held open. It sure made starting a cold engine or one with low batteries a lot easier.

I'm guessing that the engine is a 335 hp or less and apparently from some sort of industrial equipment and not in a truck. (no air compressor installed and it looks like a MVS governor on the fuel pump) If someone built that to a 400 hp engine they are pushing the limits without having an aftercooler installed.

Last edited:

Ak HDM

Reaction score
As stated above, that the compression release for starting. The compression release was only on the small cam engines. That engine is pretty old, I would say made in the 1960's. It has the old eccentric adjust water pump. If you can get the serial number, either from the data plate by the front cover or on the left rear of the block, & call a Cummins dealer they should be able to tell you what hp & other info when it left the factory. The data plate will also have the hp on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online