Looking for a GPS Vehicle tracker.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings one and all.
Looking for a GPS Vehicle tracker that hopefully does not need a subscription and works on the smart phone.
Any suggestions?
Thanks for your time.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it looks like not many people are worried the old trucks might go for a ride without them. My toy is no less than 100% ~over~ top dollar and I am not done yet.
Now if I was real smart, I would incorporate an oil accumulator that would pre-lube the engine bearings prior to start up.
Hmmm . . . Give me awhile on that one.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just trying to cover bases.

Do you already have deterrents in place? Including “the club” just to turn away the 90% of thieves.

I also have wondered if some sort of “shield” or guard could be put in place that would not allow a slim Jim to grab the lock bar........

Also have you had your pickup appraised, and then covered by a company well versed with “classics”. That is willing to pay?

Oh, and I do not know of a GPS tracker, sorry.

CalIDI

Reaction score
Honestly if you just want to track the truck, and you have an iPhone, throw an air tag somewhere in there. $30, would probably work wonders. Some car GPS trackers require subscriptions. I hate the idea of having to keep paying for a piece of hardware I already bought.

I like the oil accumulator idea. Maybe some method of electrically circulating oil before cold starts.

-CalIDI

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Part of it could be, like most of the ones we have, and the 2 we have now, if you, an average car thief, if you can actually get it started, and everything you need to use to make it move, to do what you need.... then well, have fun.....

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Best thing I can think of if you are worried about being stolen would be to wire in a hidden kill switch to the fuel shut off solenoid.

I will add that I do worry about my vehicles being stolen. I had to leave my 92 Mazda truck at the airport for a few days while I was out of town working. I unplugged the ignition coil power wire just enough that it wasn't making contact but still looked plugged in. Guy I was working with thought I was nuts but I have had too many things of mine stolen to take a chance.

If you do manage to find some sort of GPS system that doesn't require a subscription please post back.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
You could look into an apple air tag. I don't think they require any subscriptions. But I also don't know how exactly they work, I don't have an iPhone.

CalIDI

Reaction score
Air tags use apple devices in the near proximity to find it’s location. Unfortunately if Mr. Truck Stealer is packing an iPhone it will alert them eventually that they are being tracked by an AirTag. The battery lasts 1 year and can be replaced.

There are other similar devices out there, that may not have the alert feature that would probably work better for what you are doing. Tile is another option that works similarly and doesn’t have that alert feature. Unfortunately the tracking service is not as good as apple’s.

I think most gps based trackers will require a subscription. I’d love to know of one that doesn’t, but haven’t found one yet.