Locked up

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the end finally came. After all the replacing of the fuel delivery system. got it running smooth then friday it happened. Got the call from Tanya that the truck started vibrating real bad with i ticking sound.:eek: She shut it down ASAP. Not sure what gave way but it is locked up tight. :puke:So I guess I will be practicing my motor swapping skills again. :backoff

Have thought alot about weather to fix this truck or buy a newer one I hate payments so guess we will fix this one ;Sweet

I would like to also say I WAS NOT DRIVING THIS TIME:D :D

Eric An Jonathan I will be letting yall know when to plan the trip;Really

Last edited:

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes- I was driving this time :(

I was going to get feed. I had the radio up a good bit and felt a vibration start, turned the radio down and heard the ticking/ clicking noise. It sounded like it was coming from under the truck. I thought it might have been a belt that had came off ( again) but had power steering still so ruled that out. As I stopped I noticed the sound was in time to the engine not the truck rolling, checked gauges and nothing seemed off. so I turned it off. Checked under the hood ( like I know what I am looking for!) and didn't see anything obvious. No major leaking under the truck of any type of fluids, so I tried to crank it to see if I could find the noise. It turned half of a turn it seemed and quit. Ohhhhhkay we won't try that again! Called BJ, then called a wrecker and sent it to the shop that did the pump. He said " its locked up" but didn't tear into it, so we don't know what exactly went wrong, but it will be home this week sometime to wait its new engine.

I hate payments, but I hate being stranded too. If this truck quits on me one more time, I'm rolling it into the Chattahoochee River and buying something else.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man that sux...I bet no one would blame you if you needed to get something else, you just gotta do what's right for you and teh family...but, its still reat to keep the old IDIs going. Personally, I think you dropped a valve...the 2nd leading cause of death for 7.3s right behind cavitation. The 7.3 have a positive vale stem seal which solved most of the 6.9s high oil consumption problems. Personally, I'd get a 6.9 core motor, get a set of big pin turbo pistons from Diesel Direct, along with a set of turbo rods from thee or if you have some from your old motor, I believe they would fit with teh DD turbo pistons. All this with a set of head studs, your 7.3 style rocker arms and a new set of gaskets, and a 6.9 motor either bored .030" over or sleeved to stock would probably last you all till you're both retired. Second best bet would be a drop in 6.9/7.3 from Promar/ Diesel Direct/DAS. Sorry to hear of your troubles. How many miles were on the motor?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost does sound like a hydrolock, guess we'll see. In that case, we can assume that the previous rebuilder didn't really screen their cores for cavitation and/or didn't believe in sleeving 7.3s. It's been proven by Mr. Bill, Hesutton, and others that a bored 7.3 can be ok if the SCAs are religiously maintained, but if the motor already is close to cavitation before a rebuild and then gets bored over...lookout. For that reason, I believe all 7.3 rebuils should ahve all 8 pots sleeved if you really want to make it as good as new. I also realize that this takes money, and any or all of us may at times be in a position where we have to save pennies and take the good when we really wanted the excellent.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pump is brand new but i am not ruling anything out right now. the second motor was suposed to be a fresh rebuild. but later found out it was not put back together right this would be the third motor I have put in this truck .

maybe 4 is my lucky number

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
franklin Ga?

Thats close to Grantville/Newnan area.
My wife has a friend up there she's always bugging me to drive her up there.

if you need some help swapping out motors, I'd be happy to make a weekend of it.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
BJ, Tanya...

You folks seem to be having the same track record I had with The E... NOT GOOD... I can feel your pain - been there done that...

I don't know what to offer other than my sympathy... I'll cry in my beer with ya.

86 1 tonhauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from what i read them trucks dont like u very much or someone is abuseive to them lol

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it is :) I used to work for Grantville PD and will start at Coweta 911 ( the county Newnan is in) this week. :) Thanks for the offer- I know Eric (ericboutin) and Jonathan (FreightTrain) have offered to help too...... we can make a mini meet out of this!

sassyrel

Reaction score
.... we can make a mini meet out of this![/QUOTE] and short work of it also!!!!!!!!!!!

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
yep.Right now I am grasping at all the straws I can trying to find someone that could do me and Them a favor by towing it from the shop to their house.Seriously giving it thought of driving a straight piped Deuce and a Half over there.But that all depends on what the Shake down run shakes loose!I will have to install my rear cover and remove the tag since I don't have insurance on said rig.....But that never stopped me before....Hee hee hee.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep just say the word! And we'll be headed that way! :thumbsup: Too bad I'll be towing the house behind us or I'd bring the car dolley to get Peppermint back to the house and save a little bit on the tow.
Hey - Get that tractor and build me a ramp so I don't drag half your driveway up the hill this time!! :eek: LOL