Locked up

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
the folks of atlanta would sh*t themselves if I brought one of my homemade trailers up there.....

not being too forward with my offer I hope.... I'm interested in helping out and meeting other georgia boobs. down here in south ga swamp, we don't get up to north ga too often.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Do you have another motor, or do you need one?
I have a 6.9, and the 7.3 that's in my F-250. I still drive it from time to time, but I'm thinking about parting it out or trading it in. The engine is far and away the best part of the truck.

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DR- no- not forward at all! I genuinely appreciate the offer as does BJ. We will definitely let you know when we are gonna swap them, if things work out like we hope it is tentatively going to be next weekend ( the 23rd).

Cam, we don't have one quite yet, we are discussing a few different options. Can you email me please? [email protected]. Thanks!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Gees.. This isn't that nice of a day for IDI drivers is it... I'm still trying to contact Diesel Direct about my pistons and to buy another set. Called twice now. Went out this morning to get breakfast and the 79 Chevy 1 ton camper special let me down. Wont start. No fire. Seems like in the past it would crank long and just as I was letting of the start side of the key it would fire up. I feel it may be the ignition switch or the neutral safety switch. So here I sit stranded too. And the parts house is within walking distance... But I'm lazy. Yes, it sure does sux to be stranded Tanya. I feel it too. I'll bet you have a simple problem. If like you stated the noise was not a complete motor lock up like dropping a valve. That would have scattered the motor. It may be hydrolocked because when you turned it off that would allow time for a cylinder to fill with coolant depending on where the piston was in the stroke. But anyway it seems like plenty of help going your way. If I was up and running my diesel I would enjoy the trip and share the work. Best thoughts to you and BJ.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BJ & Tanya, If there is anything that needs to move down I-95 from the east coast or link up with Eric before he heads your way via the Boob express let me know and I can take a leg of it.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Tanya,
That sucks!

Did it sound like a chain hitting the ground as you drove? That is the best way I can describe my valve. Been there, done that. BTW-Eric has a nice set of tools dying to be put to use.

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tonka- THANKS! for the offer- I really appreciate it!

Joe- in all honesty I heard it and I didn't leave it running long enough to examine the sound beyond it sounded like it was coming from under the truck, but also sounded like a belt slapping around. It was more of a clicking/ ticking noise. I am sure BJ will figure it out when they pull the engine tho!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well my crapcycle of a day has turned out ok. I walked to the parts house and bought a new ignition switch for $19.42. I finally got something that didn't cost a left one. Anywho, it was a real pita to install but it starts fine now. I took the original one apart and found the main contacts really worn and arcing the reall copper pads in it. It lasted for almost 30 years so I got my money out of it. I sure hope you guys can find something easy and not too costly to fix your truck. Keep us posted and please take plenty-o-pics of whatever happens. I really like to see pics of a group helping out others.

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ican- I'm glad your problem was relatively easily fixed :) I will take plenty of pics for sure, and definitely give updates!

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the support. This motor was babied more than you could ever imagine. The big thing is we had no idea how many miles it had on it when we got it or the history. As far as getting the motor to the house, the good thing is that I can have it shipped VIA who I work for and save a ton. And it will be brought to the house and sent on the ground. ;Sweet

I have this this HEE-Haw song stuck in my head right now. Gloom dispair and agony on me ,if you are old enough you know the rest! :rotflmao

Oh well just another chapter in our book of the IDI adventure. That motor got us alot of places in the time we have had it so i can't complain too much. And much of that time was with horses intow. Several Oklahoma trips.

Anyone and everyone that wants in on the fun let us know we can make a mini meet! :D