Lift pump mechanical or electrical?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I sure would. At this time, I wouldn't buy a Facet unless I knew that it was made of 24 carat gold. After installing a turbo, a Holley red may not be big enough. You may want to look into a blue. Them again, if you're not wanting all that much boost, a red may work fine.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I sure would. At this time, I wouldn't buy a Facet unless I knew that it was made of 24 carat gold. After installing a turbo, a Holley red may not be big enough. You may want to look into a blue. Them again, if you're not wanting all that much boost, a red may work fine.
I don't want to derail this thread, but what kind of boost should I expect with a factory turbo kit and open downpipe? I don't mind stepping up to a better pump if necessary. Thanks

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't want to derail this thread, but what kind of boost should I expect with a factory turbo kit and open downpipe? I don't mind stepping up to a better pump if necessary. Thanks
I would say that it depends on what all you're going to do to the rest of it. The factory air box is supposed to be restrictive. Get rid of it, assuming that you're wanting the most from your turbo. Free flowing exhaust. Tie the wastegate closed. Crank the fuel way up. I think that should easily get you 15+PSI. At that kind of boost level, an intercooler is practically mandatory. For comparison, stock boost levels should be in the 8-10 PSI range. That's my .02.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My factory turbo would open the wastegate at about 8 psi. After I wired it shut, I started using my right foot to limit it to about 15 psi. I saw it hit 17 or 18 once or twice when I wasn’t paying attention. It normally took a pretty good load, and a lot of RPM’s to see it. It was also usually accompanied by some higher EGT’s too. I’m close to having it back on the road, this time with an intercooler, and head studs. I really need to put a build thread together.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My factory turbo would open the wastegate at about 8 psi. After I wired it shut, I started using my right foot to limit it to about 15 psi. I saw it hit 17 or 18 once or twice when I wasn’t paying attention. It normally took a pretty good load, and a lot of RPM’s to see it. It was also usually accompanied by some higher EGT’s too. I’m close to having it back on the road, this time with an intercooler, and head studs. I really need to put a build thread together.
I second the build thread.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both the 12 psi version Facet and Ford mechanical lift pump in parallel, with check valves keeping them from backfeeding each other. I should also mention I put a fuel filter/water separator on the frame rail so both pumps are pumping clean fuel.

The reason I have both:
I installed the Facet after all the site support but it will NOT keep up with the fuel demands of a maxed out IP.
It would hold 8psi at idle and 1 or 0 psi at WOT. This screwed up the timing and lost me performance and MPGs.

So I got a Ford mechanical and did the parallel thing. It holds 4-5 psi no matter the RPM or the fuel demands. IP's are calibrated at 5psi. Coincidence? LOL

So I made the Facet turn on with the cold idle advance and get all the priming I might need without it running all the time. The combo works well but I wouldn't suggest it.

If you go e-pump get a strong one and use an adjustable regulator. Some pumps have them, if not use an external. That's likely the direction I'll have to go when I get a hotter IP someday! Though if we ever find a higher volume mechanical I would jump all over that.

Happy wrenching!
-Joshua

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I have been running Holly Red & Holly Blue without a regulator for yrs on my '92 NA & my '90 Turbo 088. Few times in past when I've run up on a decent deal I've considered a Holly Black, but passed cause I figured I'd have to regulate it.....something else to have to mess with.
Long time ago last time mechanical quit I pulled it off, put on a block-off plate, & been running Hollys since.
Currently on my '90 that now has the factory '94 IDIT I'm running the same Holly Red that I had on it before. Put bout 50k on this '94 IDIT since I put in. Probably bout 70-80K on this Holly Red total. (tomorrow it probably quit cause I'm bragging LOL ) I also have a Cat water trap/screen separator mounted down on frame before my Holly Red.
& I've run all kind of fuel too, WVO, WMO mix & pump has worked.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
I would say that it depends on what all you're going to do to the rest of it. The factory air box is supposed to be restrictive. Get rid of it, assuming that you're wanting the most from your turbo. Free flowing exhaust. Tie the wastegate closed. Crank the fuel way up. I think that should easily get you 15+PSI. At that kind of boost level, an intercooler is practically mandatory. For comparison, stock boost levels should be in the 8-10 PSI range. That's my .02.
I'm not gonna go crazy since this is now my daily work truck. I am at the very least going to go with an open downpipe, and turn up the fuel. I would probably be happy with the stock boost levels, so I'm gonna stay conservative on this. I just wasn't sure what to expect, so I appreciate the information.
Thanks

Rock

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
So you should probably see 8-10 PSI. It may go a little bit higher since you're putting a different down pipe on it, but probably not.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
So you should probably see 8-10 PSI. It may go a little bit higher since you're putting a different down pipe on it, but probably not.
To add a little to this, you may not see that much boost while driving empty. Remember that these were set on the conservative side when built. You may have to work the engine to see that much boost. Empty, driving normally, it's possible that you may only see 5-6 PSI. Don't install the turbo and then panic if you don't see the full amount of boost. Do some experimenting before you call yourself s dummyhead that messed up the install.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
To add a little to this, you may not see that much boost while driving empty. Remember that these were set on the conservative side when built. You may have to work the engine to see that much boost. Empty, driving normally, it's possible that you may only see 5-6 PSI. Don't install the turbo and then panic if you don't see the full amount of boost. Do some experimenting before you call yourself s dummyhead that messed up the install.
Lol, I will remember that. Honestly, driving around empty I imagine that will be more than enough for me. As long as it wakes the truck up a bit when towing I will be happy.
Thanks

Rock

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
FRB's are all that I run now. Never a failure. I have gone thru several other brands of E pumps. Yeah the FRB's are pricey, but it's cheaper then a tow bill or having to replace the other brand of pump 4 times in the same life span

kbenz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FRB's are all that I run now. Never a failure. I have gone thru several other brands of E pumps. Yeah the FRB's are pricey, but it's cheaper then a tow bill or having to replace the other brand of pump 4 times in the same life span
which one do you run?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
which one do you run?
I have run the 13, 5 and the 22. the 22 is too high a pressure for our DB-2 pumps in the idi's so if the 22 is to be run in an idi application; a pressure regulator is needed.

The 5 and the 13 are great just as they are, for our idi's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.