Lift pump mechanical or electrical?

Figor

Reaction score
Is it better to convert to electrical? I did this on a small tractor as a band aid 10 years ago which became a permanent fix. Just wondered if it would be as reliable on the road?

Last edited:

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I am a fan of keeping things stock so I would suggest a mechanical. Only really need electric for performance applications. However lots of e-pump fans on this site. Consensus is if you go e-pump only go with a Holley Red e-pump, or risk being disappointed.

Cons
1) More expensive $150 vs $30.
2) Takes longer to convert than replace a mechanical one the first time.
3) Have to wire in a relay. (More to diagnose in the future.)
4) Have to plum it in and mount it.
5) One more thing drawing your power down if you alt is dead.
6) Holley reds are not set up for diesel, will have to rebuild pump at some point down the road.

Pro’s
1) Helps if you start when you have air intrusion or flow back.(Helps prime the system.)
2) Can bleed to IP with engine off.
3) Easier to replace in the future.
4) Much easier to replace in a van Model.
5) Once in a blue moon you hear of a mechanical pump that leaks diesel into a engine block. Rare but it happens occasionally.

Your call but let us know how it turns out and send pics.

Last edited:

Figor

Reaction score
$30? I can’t find one cheaper then $70. Guess I’m looking in the wrong places. Lol. I agree. I like to keep things mechanical. I just did the tractor that way in a pinch. I had an electric fuel pump laying around and put it on to get it working again and have been surprised that it’s still going 10 years later. But yeh, if I can find a $30 dollar one I’m going that route.

Edit:

Stumbled across this one. Wonder if it’s a reliable one.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I am a fan of keeping things stock so I would suggest a mechanical. Only really need electric for performance applications.
I have to second this. That said, I do have a cheap electric plumbed in line for a "just in case" and to help with changing fuel filters. Other than that, I only use the mechanical pump.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recommend an electric fuel pump. Also I would not get he Holley Red, I believe it is underpowered for diesels as the fuel is thicker density than gasoline. I recommend the Holley Blue minimum or Holley Black. Most people use the Facet 40222 which has great lift capabilities and can be mounted up top in the engine bay, very easy to access and great reliability. I have the Holley black and ran it to a relay. Ground the pump, then power supply hook to the battery with a Inline fuse. For activation of the relay a popular method is you can connect it to the red/green wire in the glow plug relay for key on power. I ran my activation power to a fuse in the cab with a switch Soni can turn the fuel pump on and off.

The reasons I am in favor as mentioned already of a E-fuel pump:

Reliability, the mechanic fuel pump eventually fails and is known to pump diesel into the crankcase in rare instances. E-fuel pump eliminates this.

Starting, the E-fuel pump automatically bleeds the lines pretty much with an air leak and makes starting a thousand times easier. Instead of cranking the engine until the batteries are dead it starts.

Efficiency, E-fuel pump has improved my mpg I believe as it can deliver more fuel to the IP better so it's never underpowered or sluggish.

Ease of access, installed on the frame or top engine bay. Never have to get at the old fuel mechanic fuel pump again.

Biofuel capability, old mechanical fuel pump has a hard time with thicker fuels. Holley Blue or Black can push that stuff easily. Whether it's WVO or WMO.

I am not an electronic guy, I delete as much electronics off my truck as I can or make simpler. Switching to an E-fuel pump though has too many advantages to be ignored though, and are better for me and my rig in terms of reliability and simplicity. Once the wiring is there never have to worry about it again and its a done deal.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Isnt there a marine Walbro pump for Diesel powered boats that is supposed to be the bees knees for pumping diesel? I had it pulled up on my PC for some time but cant remember what it was now.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I am an e pump fan....
However, like I have previously mentioned, I don't think mechanical or electric is better than the other. It's just opinion.
I'll take either one, but when it's time for the mechanical pump to be replaced, I usually just convert it to an e pump for the benefits.

As for pumps, Holley reds are good pumps, I've been really happy with mine.
When I get around to throwing the turbo on my 7.3 I'll be converting that truck to an e pump as well. I may try a duralift this time though so I can mount it in the engine bay.

Rock

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats the one. 4 feet of dry lift, 18k hour minimum lifespan. talk about overkill for this application. cheapest ive seen it is 155$ but boy would that be the end all E Fuel upgrade.
I believe that is the one that Wes really likes. Its either that one or another Walbro that he recommends on his builds.