Let's talk filtration

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
I've always used Napa Filters but I'm going to run Baldwin On The 86
I would like to Run Cat Filters. Think there was a Member Here who is Running Them

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Great topic. I've been running Baldwins for years but never did question the rating. Out of curiosity I called Baldwin filter this morning.

The BF-1222 (replacement for the 7.3) has a nominal micron rating of 4 and an absolute rating of 20...

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I know this is somewhat apples to oranges, but this is why I always run Motorcraft Oil and Fuel Filters in my Fords. The Oil and Fuel Filters for the 6.0 are made by RACOR for the Motorcraft, Ford (Blue Box), IH and believe it or not, Fram. I even run the Motorcraft filters and Oil on my P71. The couple extra bucks is cheap when you don't kill an IP, or Injectors, or prematurely wear bearings in the engine.

Buy a good filter, and make you, and your machines happy.

Remember, just because a filter (or any product for that matter) is a household name, doesn't mean it is the best, it just means they spend the most money on ADVERTIZING not the product.

Good example, most major "sneaker" manufacturers spend $9 dollars on advertizing for each $1 (yes, one) dollar they spend on product development.

In the case that Mel has brought to us, which is better?

$700 Moose Pump + a $20 Good Filter = Many years of trouble free service

or

$700 Moose Pump + $5 "filter" + kill the pump in 3 months..........

This is the reason I happily pay $45 for the Motorcraft Fuel Filter kit and I don't have to buy $2,000 worth of injectors...... The $20 cheapie is NO VALUE!!!!!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this is somewhat apples to oranges, but this is why I always run Motorcraft Oil and Fuel Filters in my Fords. The Oil and Fuel Filters for the 6.0 are made by RACOR for the Motorcraft, Ford (Blue Box), IH and believe it or not, Fram. I even run the Motorcraft filters and Oil on my P71. The couple extra bucks is cheap when you don't kill an IP, or Injectors, or prematurely wear bearings in the engine.

Buy a good filter, and make you, and your machines happy.

Remember, just because a filter (or any product for that matter) is a household name, doesn't mean it is the best, it just means they spend the most money on ADVERTIZING not the product.

Good example, most major "sneaker" manufacturers spend $9 dollars on advertizing for each $1 (yes, one) dollar they spend on product development.

In the case that Mel has brought to us, which is better?

$700 Moose Pump + a $20 Good Filter = Many years of trouble free service

or

$700 Moose Pump + $5 "filter" + kill the pump in 3 months..........

This is the reason I happily pay $45 for the Motorcraft Fuel Filter kit and I don't have to buy $2,000 worth of injectors...... The $20 cheapie is NO VALUE!!!!!

c'mon Scott, you dont feel like doing a complete tear down and cleaning all of the oil galleys?
that ****** is FUN!!! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I definitely hope to setup both coolant and oil bypass filtration I hope to run full synthetic oil with lab testing as well. Someday.

1995 Ford F250 SCLB 4wd ZF5 7.3L PSD, stock.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Great topic. I've been running Baldwins for years but never did question the rating. Out of curiosity I called Baldwin filter this morning.

The BF-1222 (replacement for the 7.3) has a nominal micron rating of 4 and an absolute rating of 20...
Thats not very good either

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Im running a Racor R45S in place of my factory 6.9 water separator. Its a 2 micron filter separator. Don't know if that's absolute, but probably not. And that's ahead of my stock filter which I use either Baldwin or Fleetgaurd. At this point, its as fine of filtration as Ive been able to figure out.
Actually thats backwards the finer filter should be lasts, but I did the same thing on my 87 6.9 with a racor 200sm turbine style separator. The r45s is the filter gasket and threads the same as the 6.9 filter? If you read the info I posted It says that Racor ratings is 98% for 2 micron filters but it doesn't say absolute or nominal. I e mailed them and I will report back

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats not very good either

It depends on how that manufacturer defines nominal... Some say 50%, some say up to 97% or so. A nominal (80%+) 4 micron rating would exceed the recommendation from the Roosa Master DB2 manual.

Racor has a ton of 2 micron water separators in a cartridge style for under $10... But the housings are ridiculously expensive.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The industry generally describes "nominal" as the smallest particle the filter can catch 50% of on the first pass but industry is not required to use any particular standard and fuel filter is always a first pass filter (though some of the cleaned fuel does return to the tank). I see it as an iffy spec at best, hence the admonition, "The Devil is in the details."

The thing to remember here is that as the filter loads up, filtration improves... 2-4%. The majority of that happens within the first 10% of use. Also, the finer the filter, the more media is needed to maintain flow over the operational life of the filter. In other works, lets say you found a 3 micron filter that would screw onto the stock secondary filter stand. There isn't much room for a larger filter, so the media area wouldn't be too much lodger than the stock filter and you could end up with a shorter filter change interval to avoid problems with inadequate flow. Not insurmountable but you'd need to be aware.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
This is why I'm going to do this mod next. You can run a longer filter such as the racor s3225s 2 micron.

Attachments

• IM000049-1.jpg
    IM000049-1.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 141

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Racor rep on the phone said there s3225s is 2 micron at 98% nominal. This is a longer filter that would require relocation of filter head. The pff829b is a direct replacment for the 7.3 filter that uses the oem bowl he said is 7 microns @ 98% nominal.
I found today that a Donaldson filter P551055 is a direct replacement and according to their web site is 4 micron at 99%. So this maybe the best filter we can buy as a direct replacement.
https://dynamic.donaldson.com/WebStore/search/item_detail.html?section=10166&item=948138
this place has them for $20 each but you have to buy 12
http://filterspro.com/detail.cfm?part=2739472
If you buy it as a kit with clear bowl and sensor port you can get them here for $24 part number p559108
http://www.filterspro.com/detail.cfm?part=2142957

Last edited:

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
What is available and where to order from to run something two stage... I'm thinking a twin filter head running a first filter in the 10-20 micron range comparable to the factory filter and the second filter in the 2-5 micron range. What thread size is the factory 6.9 filter head? Is the 7.3 different? What thread size filters are commonly available?

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Here are the stock racor replacement specs for a 7.3 and 6.9. Two filters, one before the lift pump say 30 micron then a final at 2 micron, is the best setup, but I don't want a filter underneath truck. I ordered a Donaldson P559108 today and will post back how it fits. I'm thinking it is the best we can get without changing lines, filter heads, brackets etc. If their ratings are correct at 4 microns @99% that way more than other filters and more than someone posted was required for the ip pump as per manufacture. 6.9 is 7/8 threads 7.3 is 1"

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-01 at 11.53.34 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-03-01 at 11.53.34 PM.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Screen Shot 2015-05-13 at 5.59.07 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-05-13 at 5.59.07 PM.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
What is available and where to order from to run something two stage... I'm thinking a twin filter head running a first filter in the 10-20 micron range comparable to the factory filter and the second filter in the 2-5 micron range.

This idea is exactly what Ford did on the 6.0 and 6.4. They both have 2 filters. The primary filter (which is also the water separator) is a 10 micron filter. The secondary filter that is mounted on the engine just before the fuel rails, is a 4 micron filter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk