Let's talk filtration

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Racor literature recommends a 10 micron before a 2-4 micron final filter.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't disagree that filtration is important, and that certain brands are worse than others, but I would also submit that it's not something that's worth panicking too much over. How many rigs are there out there running random brand sub optimal filters? Both idis and other engines.... not like you see *that* many failures.

I for sure agree that it's wise to consider.... but at the same time worth looking at the bottom line likelyhood of there being a real problem out of it. Like anything else, a factual trade off analysis is worthwhile.

In the original case Mel mentioned, I would very strongly suspect there's something else going on there... some sort of fine particulate abrasive getting in the fuel maybe? Undoubtedly a good quality fuel filter would help, but I'm not sure it would have saved the pump in that case.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I pointed out the manufacturer's specifications I wasn't clear on emphasizing that a vast majority of filters used on the IDI aren't up to par...

Granted, 3 months is a very short lifespan, and some folks have decades old pumps. Look at what causes a loss of performance in these pumps... It's finely machined tolerances opening up. Granted, the advance piston wear may be primarily a steel vs aluminum issue, but the main wear comes from the lubricant. Which, in these pumps, is fuel.

So through poor filtration we're artificially shortening the life of the pump by constantly exposing it to larger particulates than it was designed to handle.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a CAT 1r-0762 on one truck and a CAT 1r-0749 on the other. The 762 is about 13" tall and I've seen ratings at 2 microns but I do not know if that's absolute. I also have a 20 micron pre filter plumbed in before it. Just a. Regular ph8 fram oil filter. So far I've been happy enough with the set up of it

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I run a CAT 1r-0762 on one truck and a CAT 1r-0749 on the other. The 762 is about 13" tall and I've seen ratings at 2 microns but I do not know if that's absolute. I also have a 20 micron pre filter plumbed in before it. Just a. Regular ph8 fram oil filter. So far I've been happy enough with the set up of it
What did you do to modify the stock fuel filter bracket to be able to get a 13" filter in there?

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought a CAT filter head, mounted it on the drivers side with electric lift pump and used hydraulic line to the IP. on a side note a 1r-0751 will screw on a 6.9 filter head but I never tried it on a truck

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Update

https://dynamic.donaldson.com/WebStore/search/item_detail.html?section=10166&item=948138
Okay I got the Donaldson filter looks to be the correct size, but I have been working on swapping a home furnace and a/c all weekend and have not got to put it on.

Question for anyone that may know, Donaldson makes different drain valves that go into bottom of filter. They have one with 1/2-20 threads for a water sensor probe, but i'm pretty sure ours is 7/16 correct? All the 1/2-20 probes I seen were like $40-$50
Also they have two with either a Deutsch or a Packard terminals. Has anyone have experience with either of these, I,m wondering if either will work with our WIF light, with a terminal change of course. They are only $5-6 each

I am please to report that the Donaldson filter cost me $25 at my local diesel shop, way cheeper that the $40 Napa get for the pos Wix

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As you guys are exploring filter options, do keep the water separation in mind. I have not been able to find a 7/8" thread filter that does water separation. 1" seems to be the standard size for a filter that does water separation. This makes eliminating the water filter on a 6.9 difficult with the stock filter head. That is why all my trucks run a 7.3L filter head and a Hastings FF1039SP. Another thing to keep an eye on, is that a lot of filters won't do water separation if the fuel is pushed through. Some only do it if it is pulled through.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run waste motor oil now for 8 years, I filter it down to 10 microns absolute and there is a 2 micron WIX 33815 filter on my truck, still have not killed my pump.

I guess I am doing it wrong.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run waste motor oil now for 8 years, I filter it down to 10 microns absolute and there is a 2 micron WIX 33815 filter on my truck, still have not killed my pump.

I guess I am doing it wrong.

How'd you fit that big ******* in there? I'd like to see a photo!

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey it fits right in there nice and snug.
I just made it work.
Maybe I have a pic...

BDOGONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to admit all the crap I've run in the last few years. I use a large pre-filter at the tank (FS1067 I think) and just decided to replace it with a NAPA gold 3417 so it doesn't hang down. (Well I guess that's a junk filter!) just stock style spin-on at the head. Guess I'll replace that too!

My pump has over 100k and I'm happy with the performance.

I've had lots of disappointment running Racor filters ($$$) that leak air into the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I installed P551055 Donaldson today. In the first picture I have a Napa 3417, Donaldson P551055, and a Racor S3225P side by side. As you can see the Donaldson is longer than the Napa. It is the absolute longest filter I could get on without moving filter head. I was just able to get filter wrench out. My wrench is 1'' thick so use a strap wrench or a thinner one. If you have an electric pump and don't pre-fill filter this wont be an issue because the drain valve can be loosened, which would of allowed me to get it out easier, but I pre-filled so I could not do that.
In the second picture the Donaldson on the left has a lip around the center hole allowing you to pre-fill it easily. You can't see it in this pictures but the Donaldson and Racor have better seals inside the center hole than the Napa.
So all went well and my pump is getting cleaner fuel and the filter is only $25 saving me $15 a filter.
I also did a cetane test (third picture, don't know why it turned but was correct on my computer) on my fuel. I cant find the conversion chart for the cetane tester. Does anyone have one?

Attachments

• IMG_0935.JPG
    IMG_0935.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0933.JPG
    IMG_0933.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0936.JPG
    IMG_0936.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 25

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed P551055 Donaldson today. In the first picture I have a Napa 3417, Donaldson P551055, and a Racor S3225P side by side. As you can see the Donaldson is longer than the Napa. It is the absolute longest filter I could get on without moving filter head. I was just able to get filter wrench out. My wrench is 1'' thick so use a strap wrench or a thinner one. If you have an electric pump and don't pre-fill filter this wont be an issue because the drain valve can be loosened, which would of allowed me to get it out easier, but I pre-filled so I could not do that.
In the second picture the Donaldson on the left has a lip around the center hole allowing you to pre-fill it easily. You can't see it in this pictures but the Donaldson and Racor have better seals inside the center hole than the Napa.
So all went well and my pump is getting cleaner fuel and the filter is only $25 saving me $15 a filter.
I also did a cetane test (third picture, don't know why it turned but was correct on my computer) on my fuel. I cant find the conversion chart for the cetane tester. Does anyone have one?

The SG type cetane testers are not accurate for LSD or ULSD. I have one too... have since the early '90s. In the course of a story on fuels and how cetane effect perfomrance, which was about the time the LSD came out in the late '90s, I found out from the Stanadyne Power Formula chemist that the SG tester could not reliably rate LSD. We went out to about a dozen fuel stations in the Denver area to compare a tester they had to a SG tester and sure enough... It's been decades since then and I haven't followed up, but I tell you this so you won't go down the wrong road. If you find out there is now a calibration for ULSD for a SG tester, please let me know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7