Let's talk filtration

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
The SG type cetane testers are not accurate for LSD or ULSD. I have one too... have since the early '90s. In the course of a story on fuels and how cetane effect perfomrance, which was about the time the LSD came out in the late '90s, I found out from the Stanadyne Power Formula chemist that the SG tester could not reliably rate LSD. We went out to about a dozen fuel stations in the Denver area to compare a tester they had to a SG tester and sure enough... It's been decades since then and I haven't followed up, but I tell you this so you won't go down the wrong road. If you find out there is now a calibration for ULSD for a SG tester, please let me know.
Do you still have the conversion chart?

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you still have the conversion chart?

I'm not absolutely sure I still have the tester, but it would be with it. As I said, it was demonstrated to me that the conversion was inaccurate for LSD, so it would likely be wildly inaccurate for ULSD. I'll check a couple of likely spots next time I am in the shop, but I haven't used the thing since the late '90s and make no promised to drop everything and tear the shop apart looking for it.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
For the 6.9 filter head with 7/8-14 threads these seem to be the options from Donaldson...

Factory spec filter (NAPA/WIX 3811 interchange): P550811

These look like they'll fit, but need to see how tall I can run without relocating filter. 3-5 micron at 99%, one is quite tall but has a water separator.

P551312

P550879

P551315

P550774

I think if P550774 will fits in the available space that would be good to run as a 3 micron final filter on the factory filter head. My water separator is disconnected. Maybe I can fit a 10 micron filter there possibly with built in water separator. If not maybe just a compact 10 micron and do a >10 micron water separator/rock catcher on the frame rail.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My local pump builder won't warranty unless you run racor, motorcraft, or hastings. He likes Racor best.

http://www.parker.com/portal/site/P...efault&vgnextcatid=3479297&vgnextcat=PF+F829B

back along here Russ posted about a good deal on them on ebay.i didn't even bother researching.when he said they were good quality filters,that's all i needed.i bought 4.:)
im currently holding the first, for my new moose that i hope to find time to install tomorrow.;Really
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?67954-good-buy-on-7-3-filters

....unless Mel says warranty void if i use these,then it's off to find hastings asap lol!:D
but i think they're kosher.;Sweet

Last edited:

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I researched the brand, and they are from Clarcor who also makes Baldwin. That is another well known brand. The Hastings rep visits my company, and we have had a lot of good conversations, and I've learned a lot of things. I have confidence that Hastings is one of the best.

Hastings/Baldwin also does the Casite filters. I've ran those for over a decade in MULTIPLE gassers and never had any problems; apples to peanuts comparing diesels and gassers though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online

No members online now.